Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape

+2
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape Empty contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:14 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/11/world/americas/canada-teen-suicide/index.html?iref=allsearch
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape Empty Re: contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:44 am

What rhetoric? Is anyone blaming the Canadian culture for spawning rapes in that CNN article?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape Empty Re: contrast this with the rhetoric on this board after the delhi rape

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:49 am

Hellsangel wrote:What rhetoric? Is anyone blaming the Canadian culture for spawning rapes in that CNN article?

i meant the calls to cut, quarter, and pickle the rapists.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:21 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:What rhetoric? Is anyone blaming the Canadian culture for spawning rapes in that CNN article?

Ah! That rhetoric! Not the other rhetoric.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:34 am

That girl was bullied for one year after rape with her pictures being ousted. A lot of mental torture that led the poor girl to suicide. This Anon group is threatening to release the names of the rapists, who are minor, if justice is not met.

While the crime is very sad, it's not the same as the highly violent Delhi rape-maim-murder. Reactions are bound to be different, that too, from a violence prone third world country.

Also interesting thing, no one brought up the culture of nova scotia yet.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:39 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
While the crime is very sad, it's not the same as the highly violent Delhi rape-maim-murder. Reactions are bound to be different, that too, from a violence prone third world country.

i meant on this board, not on the streets of delhi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:41 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

yeah. too much effort for me to go back on those threads and count the number of really civilized responses. do you have that number handy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:57 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Are you serious?

I often find that kind of response from Americans.

I will post them for you.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:12 am

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Are you serious?

I often find that kind of response from Americans.

I will post them for you.

this incident happened in nova scotia.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:22 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

yeah. too much effort for me to go back on those threads and count the number of really civilized responses. do you have that number handy?

You don't need to go back to those threads and count. There's only one really civilized response there and that one is the one that blamed an entire group of people and their culture for the rape.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

Thanks for posting. I just read...

Will start frying and pickling.

1. She is a canada which does not have death penalty.

2. Women have more rights to go to law enforcement

3. Law enforcement are more receptive to public complaint

4. They dont go after the victim and their Baksheesh.

5. She was raped by known acquaintances.

6. There is recourse to a TIMELY court case in Canada.

7. There was no rod inserted and no dissection took place in a mobile "mortuary."

So it is wrong to compare with The Delhi Rape.

But, I strongly feel all these almost-adult rapists in this case should be fried and pickled. (But, no use as Canadian Law does not permit it). I think the Anon group should go ahead and publish the names if the rapists are convicted. Rather, as they do in US on a selective basis, these "boys" should be tried as adults.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:16 pm

There was another case in the bay area where the girl was raped and photos were circulated. She also committed suicide.

The Canada and Ohio cases and this one did make me wonder about the pattern. I don't know American teens and teen culture well enough to understand this. Why are the boys circulating proof of their crime on social networks? If the girl is underage and passed from too much alcohol, they can never claim consent, right?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Typing on the phone... Passed out, and/or
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:49 pm

Idéfix wrote:There was another case in the bay area where the girl was raped and photos were circulated. She also committed suicide.

The Canada and Ohio cases and this one did make me wonder about the pattern. I don't know American teens and teen culture well enough to understand this. Why are the boys circulating proof of their crime on social networks? If the girl is underage and passed from too much alcohol, they can never claim consent, right?

This type of Gang raping is quite common. Schools hold proms and Senior days for which guys and girls go as partners - those from 9th to 12th. Most have tasted alcohol and prehaps have had premarital sex by 15 or 16. So under drugs, this sort of incidents happens . Only in these cases, it is extremely hard to prove unless there is camera and video/you tube evidence. Notice that you dont see too many convictions of gang rape without camera/video.

This is one such occasion the DEsi parents are scared of. The girls want to be part of the Prom - otherwise they will be orchestrated, and the parents are very scared. They try to pair up with another Desi kid in the class (very easy on the coasts.) But most desi kids do come out unscathed - no way of knowing for sure though.

If you call THIS gang rape, then there are plenty in TLMH.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:29 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Idéfix wrote:There was another case in the bay area where the girl was raped and photos were circulated. She also committed suicide.

This type of Gang raping is quite common. Schools hold proms and Senior days for which guys and girls go as partners - those from 9th to 12th. Most have tasted alcohol and prehaps have had premarital sex by 15 or 16. So under drugs, this sort of incidents happens . Only in these cases, it is extremely hard to prove unless there is camera and video/you tube evidence. Notice that you dont see too many convictions of gang rape without camera/video.

This is one such occasion the DEsi parents are scared of. The girls want to be part of the Prom - otherwise they will be orchestrated, and the parents are very scared. They try to pair up with another Desi kid in the class (very easy on the coasts.) But most desi kids do come out unscathed - no way of knowing for sure though.

ostracized not orchestrated

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:03 pm

Rishi wrote:

ostracized not orchestrated

Yeah...that is rite....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:20 pm

I get all that. But why do the perpetrators circulate images of their crime on social networks? What are they thinking? And why does law enforcement not get involved early on in this stuff? I mean, the Bay Area girl was 15 when this happened. Any circulation of her pictures in a sexual setting is illegal by both California and federal law.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:34 pm

Idéfix wrote:I get all that. But why do the perpetrators circulate images of their crime on social networks? What are they thinking? And why does law enforcement not get involved early on in this stuff? I mean, the Bay Area girl was 15 when this happened. Any circulation of her pictures in a sexual setting is illegal by both California and federal law.

That is a different topic. Raping is illegal everywhere and anywhere I can think of. Why do men still go on to rape? Bcz as long as they think they could outsmart the laws they would.

Same in this video/picture propagation scene.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Idéfix wrote:
But why do the perpetrators circulate images of their crime on social networks? What are they thinking?

they are not thinking like grownups because they are not grownups. they are doing that to gain admiration from their peers -- look at my conquest, i'm the man -- they're telling their peers. that instant gratification is more important to them than the possibility of being found out.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 pm

i've been sharing all of these stories -- the bay area story, the canadian story, and the steubenville OH story with both my kids. it's a difficult line. i don't want them to be mistrusting of all their male friends, but i want them to be worldly wise as well.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:39 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:
But why do the perpetrators circulate images of their crime on social networks? What are they thinking?

they are not thinking like grownups because they are not grownups. they are doing that to gain admiration from their peers -- look at my conquest, i'm the man -- they're telling their peers. that instant gratification is more important to them than the possibility of being found out.

Also, the teenager's aura of invincibility.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:45 pm

The disturbing thing about the Bay Area story is that it happened over 6 months ago. The girl killed herself, but the boys were arrested only this week. I have no idea of the details of the case and what new information might have surfaced lately. But it sounds to me like in cases of minor-on-minor rape in situations where alcohol is alcohol is involved, the police and prosecutors don't want to go aggressively after the perpetrators. Perhaps they think if the girl was drinking illegally, it will be difficult to obtain a conviction -- I have no idea, just speculating.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:50 pm

Idéfix wrote:The disturbing thing about the Bay Area story is that it happened over 6 months ago.

the parents were completely unaware of it until recently when some friends came forward and informed them that there is more to their daughter's death than meets the eye. that's how the story broke. often parents are simply not aware of what's going on, on facebook, twitter, and all the other social media crap.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Idéfix wrote:The disturbing thing about the Bay Area story is that it happened over 6 months ago.

the parents were completely unaware of it until recently when some friends came forward and informed them that there is more to their daughter's death than meets the eye. that's how the story broke. often parents are simply not aware of what's going on, on facebook, twitter, and all the other social media crap.
Oh, that is so sad! If only she had confided in one or both of her parents the horror that she had gone through with the rape and then the cyber-bullying, she might have been alive today.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:22 pm

This type of Gang raping is quite common.

no it is not despite what you say and what you will definitely say in subsequent posts about my naivete.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:43 pm

Max,
all comments from the previous thread were available to all. Why don't you pull out few examples that you found to be below your civilization marker and contrast with canadian incident. It would be a good learning opportunity for those below your civilization marker.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

This type of Gang raping is quite common.

no it is not despite what you say and what you will definitely say in subsequent posts about my naivete.

Quite common == not every girl, not every other girl, but not even every 10th girl... But it is not as rare as the Delhi Rape.

Anyway you are right...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down