Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?

+7
Jeremiah Mburuburu
southindian
Maria S
confuzzled dude
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Idéfix
Seva Lamberdar
11 posters

Go down

Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?    Empty Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm

There was a campaign recently at IIT Kharagpur involving various graduating classes collecting / contributing money for IIT’s new building project. It seems the 1970 graduating class (my batch) has collected the most money so far, more than Rs. 75 lakh already and that amount is still growing as some of the batchmates continue to send their contributions late. There is also a plan by the IIT that any batch (graduating class) that collects at least Rs. 50 lakhs for the building fund will have a room named after it in the new building and the names of the contributors will be displayed on a plaque outside the room. There is very good chance that 1970 batch might have 2 rooms named after it if the amount collected / contributed by it makes to Rs. 100 lakhs or 1 crore. It seems the name “Subhash Chander Sharma” along with the names of other 1970 batchmates might be associated in future with two rooms at IIT Kharagpur.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?    Empty Re: Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?

Post by Idéfix Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Congrats, Sevaji!
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?    Empty Re: Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Thu May 02, 2013 6:33 pm

Idéfix wrote:Congrats, Sevaji!

Hmm.......

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri May 03, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks Pawan and Sandilya. It's certainly a nice feeling.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 03, 2013 10:13 am

I think they should name it "Sevaji" to standout. Subhash Chander might be mixed up with "Netaji"

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 03, 2013 10:26 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:There was a campaign recently at IIT Kharagpur involving various graduating classes collecting / contributing money for IIT’s new building project. It seems the 1970 graduating class (my batch) has collected the most money so far, more than Rs. 75 lakh already and that amount is still growing as some of the batchmates continue to send their contributions late. There is also a plan by the IIT that any batch (graduating class) that collects at least Rs. 50 lakhs for the building fund will have a room named after it in the new building and the names of the contributors will be displayed on a plaque outside the room. There is very good chance that 1970 batch might have 2 rooms named after it if the amount collected / contributed by it makes to Rs. 100 lakhs or 1 crore. It seems the name “Subhash Chander Sharma” along with the names of other 1970 batchmates might be associated in future with two rooms at IIT Kharagpur.

That is great news dear Dr. Subhash C. SharmaPawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?    459784477!

I am not sure if there are Alumni here..of other institutions in India, US or other countries..who have rooms and buildings named-in association with them for their donations/efforts..so, you may be the first:)

It's always so great to see Alumni have such affection and do so much for their Alma Mater(s)..Colleges, Univs and even high schools! They contribute all they can in.. time, money (some can obviously donate more than others) and effort! Recently met a gentleman in his 60s..who is a big Engineer-Contractor..who takes every summer off..just to "fix" the dorms in his Univ for free..he brings his own teams of professionals and workers..and does it with such joy and dedication..and has been doing it for 20+ years..there is another lady who donated her big home and properties to her "mother univ" (as she calls it), which she attended almost 60 years ago..moved into a residential home..one of the nicest people one can meet..so many similar stories..

Quite nice indeed!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 am

Maria S wrote:
I am not sure if there are Alumni here..of other institutions in India, US or other countries..who have rooms and buildings named-in association with them for their donations/efforts..so, you may be the first:)

It's always so great to see Alumni have such affection and do so much for their Alma Mater(s)..Colleges, Univs and even high schools! They contribute all they can in.. time, money (some can obviously donate more than others) and effort! Recently met a gentleman in his 60s..who is a big Engineer-Contractor..who takes every summer off..just to "fix" the dorms in his Univ for free..he brings his own teams of professionals and workers..and does it with such joy and dedication..and has been doing it for 20+ years..there is another lady who donated her big home and properties to her "mother univ" (as she calls it), which she attended almost 60 years ago..moved into a residential home..one of the nicest people one can meet..so many similar stories..

Quite nice indeed!

I'd love to donate too, Maria but the college I attended went belly-up

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri May 03, 2013 10:44 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:There was a campaign recently at IIT Kharagpur involving various graduating classes collecting / contributing money for IIT’s new building project. It seems the 1970 graduating class (my batch) has collected the most money so far, more than Rs. 75 lakh already and that amount is still growing as some of the batchmates continue to send their contributions late. There is also a plan by the IIT that any batch (graduating class) that collects at least Rs. 50 lakhs for the building fund will have a room named after it in the new building and the names of the contributors will be displayed on a plaque outside the room. There is very good chance that 1970 batch might have 2 rooms named after it if the amount collected / contributed by it makes to Rs. 100 lakhs or 1 crore. It seems the name “Subhash Chander Sharma” along with the names of other 1970 batchmates might be associated in future with two rooms at IIT Kharagpur.

NorthIndian Sharmaji, so you actually did something for your IIT? I thought the "intelligent" SouthIndians here were the best, but apparently not.

Congratulations to you for "actually doing something".
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 03, 2013 10:49 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Quite nice indeed!

What did you do to your college's belly!Smile Or did your college miss you so much..it just did not see any point to carry on- and gave up!

Seriously, no excuses Mr CD.
I am sure you are quite talented and capable..to contribute to one of your Alma Mater(s)..and you can always contribute to other Institutions (for example- your parents/siblings/spouse may have attended, and I see that too!)..or even sponsor individual students who can use financial assistance- and attend Colleges of their choice.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri May 03, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks CD for the suggestion.

And thanks also dear Dr. Maria for the comment and great examples of a male engineer helping and fixing the dorms etc. in his long ago engineering university for the last 20 years for free and a retired lady donating most of her wealth to her “mother university” before moving into a residential home.

I just wanted to bring this great campaign at IIT by the alumni to the attention of SUCH members and I think similar things can be tried in other places since many schools, colleges and universities in India are quite short on cash and lacking good facilities (including labs, libraries, equipment, computers and washrooms). Btw a number of my IIT batchmates have really put in a lot of time and effort to make this campaign a success and the positive results are already showing.

Thanks SI for the comment.

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 03, 2013 11:08 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Quite nice indeed!

really? i robbed my college actually. i defaulted on final year tuition fees. (they are too rich anyway -- don't need my money.) ya, i never got a degree -- only a letter proclaiming i had cleared the requirements to the degree (actually degrees). they sent me several reminders (with interest) till they stopped doing even that. i laughed at all their letters -- teri ma ki saki naka. maybe i'll have to clear the dues if my kids decide to attend that college -- very remote possibility. still, all this does not stop me from advertizing that i am a graduate and from that school. like i said, teri ma ki saki naka.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Maria S wrote:

Quite nice indeed!

really? i robbed my college actually. i defaulted on final year tuition fees. (they are too rich anyway -- don't need my money.) ya, i never got a degree -- only a letter proclaiming i had cleared the requirements to the degree (actually degrees). they sent me several reminders (with interest) till they stopped doing even that. i laughed at all their letters -- teri ma ki saki naka. maybe i'll have to clear the dues if my kids decide to attend that college -- very remote possibility. still, all this does not stop me from advertizing that i am a graduate and from that school. like i said, teri ma ki saki naka.
1. were you really not awarded a degree by columbia university, new york, after spending several years there as a student enrolled in their bachelor's degree program?

2. do you still owe columbia university one year of tuition? how much? from when?

3. what does "teri ma ki saki naka" mean?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 4:02 pm

Maria S wrote:It's always so great to see Alumni have such affection and do so much for their Alma Mater(s)..Colleges, Univs and even high schools! They contribute all they can in.. time, money (some can obviously donate more than others) and effort! Recently met a gentleman in his 60s..who is a big Engineer-Contractor..who takes every summer off..just to "fix" the dorms in his Univ for free..he brings his own teams of professionals and workers..and does it with such joy and dedication..and has been doing it for 20+ years..there is another lady who donated her big home and properties to her "mother univ" (as she calls it), which she attended almost 60 years ago..moved into a residential home..one of the nicest people one can meet..so many similar stories..

Quite nice indeed!
woman, contribute if you can, preferably with your mouth shut. whether you can or not, and whether you want to or not, please stop spewing useless words.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Fri May 03, 2013 4:12 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Thanks CD for the suggestion.

And thanks also dear Dr. Maria for the comment and great examples of a male engineer helping and fixing the dorms etc. in his long ago engineering university for the last 20 years for free and a retired lady donating most of her wealth to her “mother university” before moving into a residential home.

Seva

You are welcome Seva! It's always nice to hear from you too.
They are some inspiring examples- people indeed.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri May 03, 2013 4:33 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Maria S wrote:It's always so great to see Alumni have such affection and do so much for their Alma Mater(s)..Colleges, Univs and even high schools! They contribute all they can in.. time, money (some can obviously donate more than others) and effort! Recently met a gentleman in his 60s..who is a big Engineer-Contractor..who takes every summer off..just to "fix" the dorms in his Univ for free..he brings his own teams of professionals and workers..and does it with such joy and dedication..and has been doing it for 20+ years..there is another lady who donated her big home and properties to her "mother univ" (as she calls it), which she attended almost 60 years ago..moved into a residential home..one of the nicest people one can meet..so many similar stories..

Quite nice indeed!
woman, contribute if you can, preferably with your mouth shut. whether you can or not, and whether you want to or not, please stop spewing useless words.

really constipated today. lay off the govmint cheese for a while and eat some prunes

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 03, 2013 4:37 pm

Quite nice indeed!
Why don't you take your own advice and stop spewing useless words? Also, why are you so angry today?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri May 03, 2013 4:39 pm

Quite nice indeed!

Grandpa, suffering from piles?

Stop scratching before you use the keyboard. Your suffering shows in your posts.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 4:49 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Quite nice indeed!
Why don't you take your own advice and stop spewing useless words? Also, why are you so angry today?
you still will not gain access.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 4:50 pm

southindian wrote:

Quite nice indeed!

Grandpa, suffering from piles?

Stop scratching before you use the keyboard. Your suffering shows in your posts.
see my response to pressulu.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Fri May 03, 2013 4:51 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:

Quite nice indeed!

really constipated today. lay off the govmint cheese for a while and eat some prunes
see my response to pressulu

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri May 03, 2013 5:07 pm

Idéfix wrote:

Quite nice indeed!
You, sir, have a rather poor understanding of other people's motivations and emotions. People like me would have cut you some slack if that were an age-related disability; but in your case it isn't related to age, therefore most people don't. Your comment to Maria reminded me of a crazy crackhead on the morning bus who randomly yells at women. The passengers ignore him most of the time, but occasionally someone tells him to shut up.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat May 04, 2013 12:24 am

Idéfix wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Quite nice indeed!
You, sir, have a rather poor understanding of other people's motivations and emotions. People like me would have cut you some slack if that were an age-related disability; but in your case it isn't related to age, therefore most people don't. Your comment to Maria reminded me of a crazy crackhead on the morning bus who randomly yells at women. The passengers ignore him most of the time, but occasionally someone tells him to shut up.
ah, do you have an understanding of why anyone would say: "They contribute all they can in.. time, money (some can obviously donate more than others) and effort!"? the best was "some can obviously donate more than others." really? hahaha! "obviously" too! if you think that there was the slightest value in saying any of that, then surely you're either a crackhead or a futile seeker of access to The Thing.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Sat May 04, 2013 4:32 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:you still will not gain access.

Pawan, how was the recent IIT KGP alumni contributions campaign?    368_an10
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat May 04, 2013 8:03 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:woman, contribute if you can, preferably with your mouth shut......

Totally uncalled for statement JM. We surely can use all the positive comments and good examples, like Maria mentioned earlier, for encouraging public participation in programs like the above at IIT to help educational institution and others.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat May 04, 2013 9:43 am

Dear Seva,

Thank you, am just sorry that a thread to applaud your efforts was disrupted.

You heard what I said..perhaps a few others did too, and that was worth my effort:) Have lived long enough to know..that something positive- even if it makes a difference to one person..can never be undone!

And me coming over here..is not about "a thing, THE THING or any one thing"..don't need some bully or goonda to block any access to me- "access is fully allowed" to have civil and friendly conversations with me and feel free to do so:)

Carvaka, I appreciate "you granting me access" to the forum you created and for your kind words!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat May 04, 2013 10:14 am

Dear Maria,

Your input was very useful and valuable to this thread / discussion. Let's forget what JM said.

Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 am

I personally see nothing wrong in any suggestion to the alumni to help their alma maters financially and in other ways. If anything, this idea needs to be promoted everywhere.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:09 am

It seems the 1970 IIT-KGP batch did very well in fund raising etc. ..... just received an email indicating,

"Congratulations to you on your batch becoming a ‘Founding Endowment Batch’ of IIT-KGP ...  "
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:37 am

congrats sevaji. congrats 70s kharagpur batch. congrats founding endowments

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:40 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:congrats sevaji. congrats 70s kharagpur batch. congrats founding endowments

Thanks Propaji, Thanks Propaji, Thanks Propaji
- Seva (for himself, 70s kharagpur batch and founding endowments)
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:46 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:congrats sevaji. congrats 70s kharagpur batch. congrats founding endowments

no hall or room in your name? dr shabash sharma, iit kgp?

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Kudos to you- dear Seva and your Karagpur IIT 1970 Alumni Batch flower !  

You have set a great example and high standards for all the batches who have followed you, and will follow in the future!

Last edited by Maria S on Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:51 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

HK, There will be a hall / room for the entire batch, having a plaque with names of all the donors.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 pm

Maria S wrote:Kudos to you- dear Seva and your Karagpur IIT 70s Alumni Batches flower !  

You have set a great example and high standards for all the batches who have followed you, and will follow in the future!

Thank you dear Maria on behalf of myself and IIT KGP 1970 batch, for kudos and beautiful flower.
- Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:58 pm

Congratulations, Sevaji! Maybe finally you have given Achachan a way to make himself useful. But then again, maybe not.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:01 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

HK, There will be a  hall / room for the entire batch, having a plaque with names of all the donors.
what do you mean by a "room" with a plaque listing all donors. sounds strange. do you mean "hall?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:04 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Congratulations, Sevaji! Maybe finally you have given Achachan a way to make himself useful. But then again, maybe not.

Thanks HAji (not Haji, haj-returned).
- Seva
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

HK, There will be a  hall / room for the entire batch, having a plaque with names of all the donors.
what do you mean by a "room" with a plaque listing all donors. sounds strange. do you mean "hall?"

Not sure yet, whether a room or a hall!
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:19 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

congratulations sevaji (not to be confused with seva ji: can-i-serve-you ji). i hope it turns out to be a hall. a room with a plaque listing 101 donors is, for lack of a better metaphor, akin to dental plaque.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:25 pm

Quite nice indeed!
** that is beyond rude.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

congratulations sevaji (not to be confused with seva ji: can-i-serve-you ji). i hope it turns out to be a hall. a room with a plaque listing 101 donors is, for lack of a better metaphor, akin to dental plaque.

Thanks HKji. We are glad, no matter whether it's a hall or a room. As for the plaque listing the names of contributors outside or inside the room (or hall), that's just a bonus.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down