Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

indian college question

+7
Merlot Daruwala
Captain Bhankas
b_A
Maria S
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
HK_older_s
11 posters

Go down

indian college question Empty indian college question

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 am

if a kid wants to go into computer graphics, animations, games, etc, what's the way to go after high school? Are there some degrees offered on those? Or is BCA/MCA/engineering programs needed for those? Or do you just do some other regular degree, and take these up as hobby classes?

Back to top Go down

indian college question Empty Re: indian college question

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 11:27 am

if you are serious about it

then take science (with computer science as an option) in high school and pursue CSE (comp. sci. & engg.) in college. the CSE degree course will cover graphics and gaming in depth

if you want to take it up as a hobby or as a creative pursuit

then institutes like NIIT and MAAC offer diploma courses on animation and graphics. they are well recognized. one MAAC franchise is actually one of our tenants (as is NIIT).

Back to top Go down

Post by HK_older_s Sat May 04, 2013 11:56 am

In engineering... graphics will come in higher semesters... whereas in regular institutes like maac, they will start from the beginning.
HK's elder son here

Last edited by HK_elder_s on Sat May 04, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

HK_older_s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 pm

MAAC, hmm. what other degree (non-diploma) can you do along with it? How do you go to higher edu based on that? Say if the kid wants to later go to US for masters, will those diploma count?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 12:10 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:MAAC, hmm. what other degree (non-diploma) can you do along with it? How do you go to higher edu based on that? Say if the kid wants to later go to US for masters, will those diploma count?
what???? maac and niit are international institutes. whether their diploma will count towards college credits depends on the foreign college. if you tell me the country, i can enquire of them and let you know if their diploma counts as credits there.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:MAAC, hmm. what other degree (non-diploma) can you do along with it? How do you go to higher edu based on that? Say if the kid wants to later go to US for masters, will those diploma count?
what???? maac and niit are international institutes. whether their diploma will count towards college credits depends on the foreign college. if you tell me the country, i can enquire of them and let you know if their diploma counts as credits there.

amrika

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 1:27 pm

ok, i'll get back to you my monday.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 pm

ya, diploma as the main degree is not giving comfortable feeling. guess a better idea would be go for for CS Engg, and if that's not happening in a good school, then rather do BCA from a decent school, or even BSc CS, and do those diploma as a hobby, if possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 2:09 pm

should have been "HK_older_s" in place of "HK_elder_s."

oh well, at least his kannada is better than his english now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat May 04, 2013 2:14 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

amrika

Nada....

at best a few courses will count here and there, that too if they are from recognized universities - not from niit, maac, etc.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 04, 2013 2:52 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:should have been "HK_older_s" in place of "HK_elder_s."

lol. did you ask him to create the account, or does he check this himself? *will have to be careful now on*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2013 12:23 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

lol. did you ask him to create the account, or does he check this himself? *will have to be careful now on*
no, he does not browse this forum. i asked him to create an account just to field this question. good he corrected his name. :p

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 05, 2013 8:08 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

no, he does not browse this forum. i asked him to create an account just to field this question. good he corrected his name. :p

shouldn't it just be HK's_older? i have never seen you unnecessarily add "son" at the end. initially it seemed weird to see you write older and younger for older son and younger son, but i got used to it in time, and i just assumed this is how english is spoken and written in contemporary india.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2013 8:16 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:

shouldn't it just be HK's_older? i have never seen you unnecessarily add "son" at the end. initially it seemed weird to see you write older and younger for older son and younger son, but i got used to it in time, and i just assumed this is how english is spoken and written in contemporary india.
yes, "HK's_older" would be more apt. i routinely skip "son" to avoid redundancy -- everyone knows i have 2 sons. i am not aware of contemporary usage. i suspect he will change it to "HK's_older" and i also feel this thread will intimidate him from posting again. Smile or at least he will be extra carefully when he composes posts again.

Back to top Go down

Post by HK_older_s Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 am

This forum is full of English language critics. Haha

Last edited by HK_older_s on Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

HK_older_s

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun May 05, 2013 8:29 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
yes, "HK's_older" would be more apt. i routinely skip "son" to avoid redundancy -- everyone knows i have 2 sons. i am not aware of contemporary usage. i suspect he will change it to "HK's_older" and i also feel this thread will intimidate him from posting again. Smile or at least he will be extra carefully when he composes posts again.

oh ask him not to mind a crotchety old man (lest people misinterpret what i wrote, i was referring to myself) who sometimes gets irritable about misuse of language.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

oh ask him not to mind a crotchety old man (lest people misinterpret what i wrote, i was referring to myself) who sometimes gets irritable about misuse of language.
it's quite ok max. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sun May 05, 2013 9:12 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Max,
You are quite charming when you use self-deprecating humor! And imo, far more effective and convincing..in your statements:)

*There is no disagreement..that when it comes to formal writing (educational/professional) and teaching English courses..it is important to follow guidelines in any language..but for any other other personal- informal communication and conversations..in real life or on line perfect "clinical" use of language is often a barrier- it makes people distant and reluctant to truly express how they feel. They may communicate because "they have to"..but, it's far less effective or meaningful on a human level.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sun May 05, 2013 12:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Hahaha. Most people interpreted it correctly Max. Wink , wink , ;-) ;-). I think I got what you are implying including that thing about misinterpretation. ;-)

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 06, 2013 4:54 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
MAAC had a tie-up with cambridge university and credits were transferrable but that tie-up no longer exists. NIIT has no tie up. so the answer is: no, these diplomas will not earn you credits in higher studies in USA. they are good only for local jobs in movies, ads and entertainment industries.

BCA and MCA, on the other hand, are good options only if you are looking to work in network handling and database management.

I think the safest option would be a CSE degree if you plan to pursue a career or higher studies abroad. if you are not going abroad, then NIIT and MAAC are good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon May 06, 2013 5:28 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:BCA and MCA, on the other hand, are good options only if you are looking to work in network handling and database management.

indeed, an MCA recruit is considered a warm body by the great indian bodyshoppers and flexible enough to be fit into any position ranging from java programmer to tester and from data modeler to "business analyst". they are the most sought after warm bodies second only to engineering graduates.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon May 06, 2013 7:20 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:indeed, an MCA recruit is considered a warm body by the great indian bodyshoppers ...

Captain, I sense a certain disenchantment with vision 3.0. Are you or are you not into building tomorrow's enterprises??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Mon May 06, 2013 7:27 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:indeed, an MCA recruit is considered a warm body by the great indian bodyshoppers ...

Captain, I sense a certain disenchantment with vision 3.0. Are you or are you not into building tomorrow's enterprises??

hahaha, we are struggling to save our own enterprise, sir! most insiders have zero idea about BTE. more about it later, if i get time to write from home.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon May 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I don't know the trend but I know the credits obtained from NIIT are not evaluated for credits in US....my personal experience.

It depends on the field she wants to master...for example: Graphics and animation in film industry - she is well off getting a master degree in media industry along with computer skills. Learning about cartooning and related framing technologies will be more apt and will be helpful in designing graphics/games

Just like math is helpful in building algorithms and a business degree is helpful in building logic.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Mon May 06, 2013 3:48 pm

I don't know the trend but I know the credits obtained from NIIT are not evaluated for credits in US....my personal experience.
>> I was able to get the credits evaluated and got admission to a MBA/University but didnot join as I had to move to a different city.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Mon May 06, 2013 4:07 pm

Nila wrote:I don't know the trend but I know the credits obtained from NIIT are not evaluated for credits in US....my personal experience.

It depends on the field she wants to master...for example: Graphics and animation in film industry - she is well off getting a master degree in media industry along with computer skills. Learning about cartooning and related framing technologies will be more apt and will be helpful in designing graphics/games

Just like math is helpful in building algorithms and a business degree is helpful in building logic.
math is more helpful than a business degree in "building logic."

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon May 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:
Nila wrote:I don't know the trend but I know the credits obtained from NIIT are not evaluated for credits in US....my personal experience.

Any link, reference, proof?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Mon May 06, 2013 8:09 pm

Nila wrote:a business degree is helpful in building logic.
I don't think business degrees make a material difference to the ability of a person to "build" logic. The primary purpose of a business degree is to build a "network."
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue May 07, 2013 1:26 am

Idéfix wrote:
I don't think business degrees make a material difference to the ability of a person to "build" logic. The primary purpose of a business degree is to build a "network."

Coming from a non-business background, I benefited a lot from the degree itself. The B-School I attended in India had a very distinct culture which valued business acumen over all else, that trained me to adopt a more commercial worldview - a process I had termed "bania-nization" back then.

Much of the value in a business degree lies in the matching wits with a set of very intelligent peers coming from all kinds of backgrounds, during classroom discussions or course assigments (which is why distant / online courses are a waste). When you're constantly challenged on your assumptions and opinions, you learn to think more logically and to frame your arguments better.

Pre B-school, I tended to think more black and white. I came out more open-minded, awake to the possibility that the same set of facts could be interpreted very differently, each interpretation being equally valid. So yeah, the network is a great thing, but a business degree can also add a lot of value to an individual.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 07, 2013 1:50 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Idéfix wrote:

Coming from a non-business background, I benefited a lot from the degree itself. The B-School I attended in India had a very distinct culture which valued business acumen over all else, that trained me to adopt a more commercial worldview - a process I had termed "bania-nization" back then.

Much of the value in a business degree lies in the matching wits with a set of very intelligent peers coming from all kinds of backgrounds, during classroom discussions or course assigments (which is why distant / online courses are a waste). When you're constantly challenged on your assumptions and opinions, you learn to think more logically and to frame your arguments better.

Pre B-school, I tended to think more black and white. I came out more open-minded, awake to the possibility that the same set of facts could be interpreted very differently, each interpretation being equally valid. So yeah, the network is a great thing, but a business degree can also add a lot of value to an individual.

This is called an open-ended approach - something that is pushed in US educational system right from the KG stage. The kids will come up with "own ideas" right or wrong based on some assumptions and their line of thinking. Kids work in team from the elementary school stage.

Unfortunately, it is introduced only at the post-graduate level, that too, in top schools. The rest are 'trying" to copy and percolate this down the educational system - will spread in some 50 more years.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 1:56 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
well put. this is indeed bania-fication.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue May 07, 2013 7:11 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

Any link, reference, proof?

one of the primary tools one learns as part of an undergraduate education in mathematics is the rigorous process of writing of proofs. i cannot think of an exercise that is more logic building than that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue May 07, 2013 1:12 pm

Nope. Math is only a part of decision making process and 1+1 is not always 2 when building biz logic

Biz logic is different than math logic. Math logic alone cannot be used to build a biz. Pliss to see the example below:

Say that there are only two kind of people and they are 0s and 1s – how would different people interrupt the message?

An Economist – Zero means there is no demand.

A Philosopher – There is only absolute and self in this world.

A Math geek – It’s Binary.

A code coolie – Computers can only understand binary…but we learn all those languages to simplify binary.

God – Man and a Woman

Love – I am nothing without you

Hate – I make you nothing

Designer – Love it or hate it

Husband –What, no food on the table?

Wife – Learn to cook!

Ego – I am No 1.

One – I am No 1.

Zero – You are after me. I am nothing but also I am everything – I am God!

One who boosts about its significant size – Perpendicularity and my hand.

Biz person – I see beyond 0 and 1 and I see it all.

Well, MD quoted it nicely but then I am giving you examples.

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Nila wrote:

Nope. Math is only a part of decision making process and 1+1 is not always 2 when building biz logic

Biz logic is different than math logic. Math logic alone cannot be used to build a biz. Pliss to see the example below:

Say that there are only two kind of people and they are 0s and 1s – how would different people interrupt the message?

An Economist – Zero means there is no demand.

A Philosopher – There is only absolute and self in this world.

A Math geek – It’s Binary.

A code coolie – Computers can only understand binary…but we learn all those languages to simplify binary.

God – Man and a Woman

Love – I am nothing without you

Hate – I make you nothing

Designer – Love it or hate it

Husband –What, no food on the table?

Wife – Learn to cook!

Ego – I am No 1.

One – I am No 1.

Zero – You are after me. I am nothing but also I am everything – I am God!

One who boosts about its significant size – Perpendicularity and my hand.

Biz person – I see beyond 0 and 1 and I see it all.

Well, MD quoted it nicely but then I am giving you examples.

rofl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down