Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Survey for vegetarians

+7
truthbetold
Propagandhi711
Obnoxious
Hellsangel
Nila
Petrichor
indophile
11 posters

Go down

Survey for vegetarians Empty Survey for vegetarians

Post by indophile Tue May 21, 2013 4:47 pm

1. How many types of pongal that you know are out there?
2. Why are green chillies not allowed in cooking during a shraaddha ritual?
3. What is prized more – new crop rice, or rice from previous year’s crop? Why?
4. Did you ever eat the waxy insides of a natural honeycomb?
5. What are the edible parts of a lotus?
6. Where do they grow the hottest pepper in India?
7. What is agave used for?
8. Did you ever eat the raw fruit of a date?
9. Did you ever de-husk a coconut after downing it from the tree?
10. Did you ever eat a mango that tastes sweet when green?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Survey for vegetarians Empty Re: Survey for vegetarians

Post by Petrichor Tue May 21, 2013 4:59 pm

indophile wrote:1. How many types of pongal that you know are out there?
vEN pongal, sakkarapPongal
pongal that is authentic, from vengalapPanai with injikkothu, manjakkothu etc.; slightly fluidy and peppered with whole peppers
saravana bhavan pongal which is a pretender and may use a bit of milk
other wannabe pongals that dont quite rise up to the level of #1 above

probably because green chillies were not available in early days and considered foreign!
nowadays, if on the 12th day green chillies are used, then on ceremony days it can be used...
distinguishes ultra orthodox from merely orthodox

old rice; moisture content would be nil and so yield of fluffy rice will be more

no

stigmata?

guNtur

yes

yes

yes

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Tue May 21, 2013 5:09 pm

A food survey on my fasting day! Gotta get one more cup of ginger tea.

1. How many types of pongal that you know are out there?
~Ven Pongal, Sakkara Pongal - Only 2.
~Never heard of this one. Only know that they cook brinjal and plantain on those days. (eggplant, raw banana)
~ Old rice, don't know why.
~ Nope
~ Root
~Kashmir?
~ As a mosquito repellent?
~ Yes
~ Nope, but have seen it.
~ Nope

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue May 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Agave - everyone should know this, is used to make agave syrup ( a hypoglycemic sugar substitute) and tequila.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 21, 2013 5:18 pm

1. How many types of pongal that you know are out there? Always forget what pongal is.
2. Why are green chillies not allowed in cooking during a shraaddha ritual? They are not? maybe coz they are used to drive spirits away?
3. What is prized more – new crop rice, or rice from previous year’s crop? Why? Dunno the diff
4. Did you ever eat the waxy insides of a natural honeycomb? NA, don't eat honeycomb
5. What are the edible parts of a lotus? Roots?
6. Where do they grow the hottest pepper in India? AP?
7. What is agave used for? What is it?
8. Did you ever eat the raw fruit of a date? Ya, I think so
9. Did you ever de-husk a coconut after downing it from the tree? Never downed a coconut from a tree
10. Did you ever eat a mango that tastes sweet when green?. Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Tue May 21, 2013 6:13 pm

>>>>>>>I know 2. Venn pongal & chakra pongal. There is also bellam pongal & chakkera(sugar) pongal.

>>>>>>>Cos they are not native to India.
>>>>>>>>>>Prev crop. Rice is less likely going to get mushy.

No. I eat raw honey though.

Stem & Root. May be petals.

Assam I think.

Sweetener & making tequila.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

is the assumption that nonvegetarians wouldnt know the answer to these questions? what's the purpose behind this and the quiz from yesterday?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue May 21, 2013 9:30 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:is the assumption that nonvegetarians wouldnt know the answer to these questions? what's the purpose behind this and the quiz from yesterday?
I am also waiting for an answer.
I ate boar. It tastes good. Ate bugs too. One neeeds to experiment in life.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:is the assumption that nonvegetarians wouldnt know the answer to these questions? what's the purpose behind this and the quiz from yesterday?

Let us hear what else you have experimented in "life"...make that interesting ..will ya ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 8:06 am

Hellsangel wrote:Agave - everyone should know this, is used to make agave syrup ( a hypoglycemic sugar substitute) and tequila.
It's slowly substituting Splenda, Sweet & Low, Equal and other sugar substitutes. It's natural, so the preferred one.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 22, 2013 8:07 am

truthbetold wrote:

Me too.
We non-vegetarians are Omnivores.."inclusive" in our food targets- plant/veggie cells which grow and regenerate as much as animal cells! Indian omnivores..we can cook them both nicely too..including varieties of pongal (hmm..let's see..ven/kaara pongal, rava pongal, sakkarai pongal, semiya pongal etc..recently tried some quinoa pongal..was kind of yikes, yuck!)

You ate bugs TBT? It's good and fun to experiment..but, got to draw the line somewhere..may be cockroaches, scorpions (don't mean just real ones..experimenting with people who have similar characteristics, often not hard to figure out after the first few interactions:)

Anyways..seriously, switching topics to politics, as you are usually interested TBT..*I am not happy with Pres O..lately (although the Republicans can be, let me leave the analogies alone)..no matter who is to blame in his admn, he is the CEO..he needs to get his act/things together and walk the walk..not just give speeches about people "taking responsibility",esp, when the gaps are growing enormously. While things in some places may look "nice" from the outside in this country..inside it's a big mess. Hope you are doing well. tc.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 8:18 am

truthbetold wrote:
Answer to both TBT & Propagandhi. The purpose of both quizes is to guage how much we are removed from the actual source and processing of our food. As for this quiz, since vegetarians are already removed from non-veg food (either by choice, habit, custom, religious reason, or something else) this quiz was fashioned to guage their familiarity too with their food. It does not mean non-veggies should take a pass. They can participate too since they too do eat veggie food.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 8:25 am

Maria S wrote:[
You ate bugs TBT? It's good and fun to experiment..but, got to draw the line somewhere..may be cockroaches, scorpions (don't mean just real ones..experimenting with people who have similar characteristics, often not hard to figure out after the first few interactions:)
We all ate bugs, if we ever ate strawberry yogurt. It seems some special bugs are imported from South America to be thrown in the recipe in order to get that consistent red color to that flavored yogurt:-Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 8:40 am

indophile wrote:1. How many types of pongal that you know are out there? ---- I recall GC, Vara (later muniamma), Tara, & Co discussing some 9 varieties of pongal (that was long time ago)
2. Why are green chillies not allowed in cooking during a shraaddha ritual? ---- Chilli peppers, like potatoes, are not native to India. They were imported from South America by Portuguese, may be.
3. What is prized more – new crop rice, or rice from previous year’s crop? Why? ---- Indians perfer old crop because rice when cooked doesn't clump. People who eat rice with chopsticks (Chine, japanese, Koreans, etc.) prefer new crop because it's easy to pick up with chopsticks to eat.
4. Did you ever eat the waxy insides of a natural honeycomb? ----- It tastes sweet and a little crunchy. Makes you yearn for even more of it.
5. What are the edible parts of a lotus? ---- Everything.
6. Where do they grow the hottest pepper in India? ---- In Nagaland. It's called "Bhoot Jhalokia."
7. What is agave used for? ---- Agave syrup is becoming a very popular sugar substitute, because it's natural.
8. Did you ever eat the raw fruit of a date? ----- Yes, you get them here for about 2-3 weeks in season. You get them in Middle Eastern stores.
9. Did you ever de-husk a coconut after downing it from the tree? ---- Did not down it from a tree, but did dehusk.
10. Did you ever eat a mango that tastes sweet when green? ---- Yes. In Orissa we call it "konchaa-suaad" (unripe-sweet)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 am

indophile wrote:
Maria S wrote:[
We all ate bugs, if we ever ate strawberry yogurt. It seems some special bugs are imported from South America to be thrown in the recipe in order to get that consistent red color to that flavored yogurt:-Smile

Thanks for that nice bit of info!
*Sigh* no more strawberry yogurt for me..and got to watch out for all things with red food coloring!

Frankly..I don't trust food labels..who really knows what's in any food item..things we know like pesticides, hormones, all kind of other chemicals added for various reasons are scary enough..and there are so many unknowns!

Was just teasing about the veg vs. non veg surveys, thought that was "obvious"Smile
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 8:59 am

I was not kidding. Here is an interesting story (meant for kids too) from yesterday's Wash Post.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/kidspost/food-for-thought-would-you-eat-an-insect/2013/05/17/c8a6a344-bd7a-11e2-89c9-3be8095fe767_story.html

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Wed May 22, 2013 1:09 pm

indophile wrote:
indophile wrote:1. How many types of pongal that you know are out there? ---- I recall GC, Vara (later muniamma), Tara, & Co discussing some 9 varieties of pongal (that was long time ago)
2. Why are green chillies not allowed in cooking during a shraaddha ritual? ---- Chilli peppers, like potatoes, are not native to India. They were imported from South America by Portuguese, may be.
3. What is prized more – new crop rice, or rice from previous year’s crop? Why? ---- Indians perfer old crop because rice when cooked doesn't clump. People who eat rice with chopsticks (Chine, japanese, Koreans, etc.) prefer new crop because it's easy to pick up with chopsticks to eat.
4. Did you ever eat the waxy insides of a natural honeycomb? ----- It tastes sweet and a little crunchy. Makes you yearn for even more of it.
5. What are the edible parts of a lotus? ---- Everything.
6. Where do they grow the hottest pepper in India? ---- In Nagaland. It's called "Bhoot Jhalokia."
7. What is agave used for? ---- Agave syrup is becoming a very popular sugar substitute, because it's natural.
8. Did you ever eat the raw fruit of a date? ----- Yes, you get them here for about 2-3 weeks in season. You get them in Middle Eastern stores.
9. Did you ever de-husk a coconut after downing it from the tree? ---- Did not down it from a tree, but did dehusk.
10. Did you ever eat a mango that tastes sweet when green? ---- Yes. In Orissa we call it "konchaa-suaad" (unripe-sweet)

There are many varieties that dont become yellow. Many rasaalu dont. Including kottapalli kobbari. That is the best variety of mango(according to me Wink).

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed May 22, 2013 1:15 pm

indophile wrote:7. What is agave used for? ---- Agave syrup is becoming a very popular sugar substitute, because it's natural.
It's also used to make tequila.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed May 22, 2013 1:19 pm

1. two

2. because the dead person might wake up from eternal slumber

3.previous years crop. tested

4.eww, i mean no

5.the whole plant

6.no clue

7.sugar substitue- i use it for that everyday

8.no

9. i think so, in saathanur

10.yes, i have

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Appalamma wrote:
There are many varieties that dont become yellow. Many rasaalu dont. Including kottapalli kobbari. That is the best variety of mango(according to me Wink).
I ate all rasaalu (nuziveedu, pedda, chinna, panchdaara, etc.) and kottapalli kobbari. Although some of those don't become yellow, they do gey soft and you squeeze them. Koncha-suaad I was talking about is eaten when raw and hard (that's what I meant when I said green) by biting into it (watchout, it's jeedi is bad as any other mango:-).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed May 22, 2013 1:27 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

1. two

If GC sees this answer from you he would be very disappointed. Long time ago, in the old Sulekha, there was a discussion on types of pongal (GC, Vara, and Tara among others who were regular handles at that time participating), after a legthy discussion settled on 9 types of pongal. Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down