Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs?

+4
Merlot Daruwala
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
bw
Rishi
8 posters

Go down

Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs? Empty Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs?

Post by Rishi Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:26 pm

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?285938

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs? Empty Re: Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs?

Post by bw Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:35 pm

when they need a marathi superstar, why not a singer?

bw

Back to top Go down

Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs? Empty Re: Do Tamils need a Marathi guy singing Tamil movie songs?

Post by Rishi Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:39 pm

bw wrote:when they need a marathi superstar, why not a singer?

The Marathi actor could not speak Tamil fluently for a long time.

He just moved his lips but the voice belonged to someone else.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:09 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?285938

"I happen to be a south Indian Marathi, the Thanjavur variety. I grew up in Chennai and am very comfortable with Tamil."

This guy is a marathi Desasht descendant living in Tanjore for 500 years. perhaps more tamilian than even Gult Karunanidhi, Or even Subramania Bharathi - whose ancestry is now known deep enough.

This guy VERY likely does not know how to read/write marathi. Oh, BTW, somehow these Tanjore marathis are mostly madhwas speaking Kannada at home. I have such a maami living on the next street right here in Kansaaaas. Her strongest language is tamil and her kannada is funny and Marathi is a killer (for others).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 am

So let's see now. Tams source their won-and-wonly Superstar as well as their playback singer from Maharashtra, their puratchi thalaivi from Karnataka, their Kalaignar from Andhra and Puratchi Thalaivar from haha..Sri Lanka. All their heroines are from amongst Bollywood-rejects. Foodwise, the huge variety in Tamil cuisine, as typified by sambar rice, lemon rice, curd rice, tamarind rice, tomato rice, coconut rice, rice-rice etc is all built on the staple of rice which was imported from China via Northindia. The iconic tiffin items are all from coastal Karnataka and the sambar they swear by is an improvised aamti from the Maratha kitchens of Tanjavur. The language might be descended from Northindian Brahui but incorporates dollops of Northindian Sanskrit. What then is the basis for all the Tamil pride on abundant display?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:48 am

>>>>Please tell the title of this thread is a joke..Please

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:52 am

Kris wrote:
>>>>Please tell the title of this thread is a joke..Please

rishi never stops trying.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

"I happen to be a south Indian Marathi, the Thanjavur variety. I grew up in Chennai and am very comfortable with Tamil."

This guy is a marathi Desasht descendant living in Tanjore for 500 years. perhaps more tamilian than even Gult Karunanidhi, Or even Subramania Bharathi - whose ancestry is now known deep enough.

This guy VERY likely does not know how to read/write marathi. Oh, BTW, somehow these Tanjore marathis are mostly madhwas speaking Kannada at home. I have such a maami living on the next street right here in Kansaaaas. Her strongest language is tamil and her kannada is funny and Marathi is a killer (for others).

Oops.

I did not read the article completely.

I just read the words "Marathi-speaking singer".

I accept him as my Tamil brother. I am pretty sure KV also will.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:37 am

if khushboo the punjabi muslim can be a tamil film star then why not a marathi singer ??

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:25 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

So let's see now. Tams source their won-and-wonly Superstar as well as their playback singer from Maharashtra, their puratchi thalaivi from Karnataka, their Kalaignar from Andhra and Puratchi Thalaivar from haha..Sri Lanka. All their heroines are from amongst Bollywood-rejects. Foodwise, the huge variety in Tamil cuisine, as typified by sambar rice, lemon rice, curd rice, tamarind rice, tomato rice, coconut rice, rice-rice etc is all built on the staple of rice which was imported from China via Northindia. The iconic tiffin items are all from coastal Karnataka and the sambar they swear by is an improvised aamti from the Maratha kitchens of Tanjavur. The language might be descended from Northindian Brahui but incorporates dollops of Northindian Sanskrit. What then is the basis for all the Tamil pride on abundant display?

You forgot Carnatic music; Hey, they're great patrons though, they've single-handedly ensured that all these have survived in modern India.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

You forgot Carnatic music; Hey, they're great patrons though, they've single-handedly ensured that all these have survived in modern India.

Very true. But even there, two thirds of the legacy they have so lovingly preserved is non-Tamil.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:55 am

tamilians' single greatest political achievement (post independence) in the 20th century was to ensure that hindi does not become the national language of india. i think they were quite alone in this and many telugus and kannadigas i know grudgingly give tamilians credit on this one.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down