Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

do you think this is accurate?

+8
Petrichor
bw
Kayalvizhi
goodcitizn
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Hellsangel
MaxEntropy_Man
Rishi
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

do you think this is accurate?  Empty do you think this is accurate?

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:26 am

dosa, called "a pong," is a breakfast item in thailand. if this is true, what is your take on how it travelled to thailand? 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phuket_Province#Phuket_Thai_South_Food

Back to top Go down

do you think this is accurate?  Empty Re: do you think this is accurate?

Post by Rishi Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:dosa, called "a pong," is a breakfast item in thailand. if this is true, what is your take on how it travelled to thailand? 

I am the only one who is allowed to ask questions on this forum.

Please refrain from asking questions like this.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:36 am

LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:02 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:dosa, called "a pong," is a breakfast item in thailand. if this is true, what is your take on how it travelled to thailand? 

how do you think the thiruppAvai and the thiruvempAvai which are basically tamil devotional poetry, recited to this day at the thai king's coronation, travel to thailand? the dosai just came along for the ride. they all traveled together as one big happy family to thailand, in the chola emperor's armada.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:20 am

from a long ago sulekha post:

https://s135.photobucket.com/user/MaxEntropy_Man/media/02a00040_l.jpg.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

how do you think the thiruppAvai and the thiruvempAvai which are basically tamil devotional poetry, recited to this day at the thai king's coronation, travel to thailand? the dosai just came along for the ride. they all traveled together as one big happy family to thailand, in the chola emperor's armada.
i see. so you are implying that the dosa is that old. you may be right after all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:52 am

I don't ever remember seeing  Dosa on the menu in any Thai restaurant. Stateside or otherwise.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:06 am

Hellsangel wrote:I don't ever remember seeing  Dosa on the menu in any Thai restaurant. Stateside or otherwise.
hellsu, it is a phuket specialty:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/street-eats-a-for-a-pong-25866.php

i was planning to send my kid to europe for vacations but it seems he might not get a schengen visa. so, for now, he is trying for the visa on his own (and not through the travel agent). the contingency plan is to do a pattaya, phuket, bangkok, singapore trip. while googling for phuket i came across a pong.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:20 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:I don't ever remember seeing  Dosa on the menu in any Thai restaurant. Stateside or otherwise.
hellsu, it is a phuket specialty:

http://www.thephuketnews.com/street-eats-a-for-a-pong-25866.php

i was planning to send my kid to europe for vacations but it seems he might not get a schengen visa. so, for now, he is trying for the visa on his own (and not through the travel agent). the contingency plan is to do a pattaya, phuket, bangkok, singapore trip. while googling for phuket i came across a pong.

rice flour, egg yolk, coconut milk, yeast, water and sugar mixed together, then fried in a thin layer of oil until cooked. - See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/street-eats-a-for-a-pong-25866.php#sthash.ElnSH2al.dpuf

How can this be a dosa? Sounds closer to Appam.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:36 am

you are right. the ingredients make it closer to appam. but, hey, it looks like a dosa!

the link also says that it came from malaysia.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:40 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:you are right. the ingredients make it closer to appam. but, hey, it looks like a dosa!

Most likely they are crêpes.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:41 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:you are right. the ingredients make it closer to appam. but, hey, it looks like a dosa!

Appam (extended vowel sound in the first syllable), not appam which is something else altogether. and to my knowledge Appam has no egg.

here is Appam:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6HcYnC_L3Es/S97c0JW7PzI/AAAAAAAAIv8/eWLVCQOP9oM/s1600/Appam2.jpg

appam:

http://chitturgirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/sweet-appam-for-karthigai-deepam.html

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:42 am

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:46 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Appam (extended vowel sound in the first syllable), not appam which is something else altogether. and to my knowledge Appam has no egg.

here is Appam:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6HcYnC_L3Es/S97c0JW7PzI/AAAAAAAAIv8/eWLVCQOP9oM/s1600/Appam2.jpg

appam:

http://chitturgirl.blogspot.com/2010/11/sweet-appam-for-karthigai-deepam.html

Il Professore, you have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to Tamil connections. More than likely they are crêpes from French ruled Vietnam. Appams can have eggs. May not subscribe to your puritan notions, but they do.

BTW apong is 'apam balik" from Malaysia. Maybe that tells you something.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:13 am

Hellsangel wrote:BTW apong is 'apam balik" from Malaysia. Maybe that tells you something.
good one there! it probably travelled from india to phuket via malaysia. btw, the video you posted is fascinating.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:BTW apong is 'apam balik" from Malaysia. Maybe that tells you something.
good one there! it probably travelled from india to phuket via malaysia. btw, the video you posted is fascinating.

Thanks. BTW, tell your son to check this:

www.goisrael.com
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:23 am

Hellsangel wrote:www.goisrael.com
awesome! hang pompous europe. kid's going to the german consulate tomorrow for the schengen visa but we are pretty sure they will decline. israel can be a good alternative! maybe turkey and egypt can be thrown in. thailand and bangkok will be the last resort. *forwarding your link to kid.*

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:28 am

no, won't work. just spoke to the travel agent. he says save the far east, no country in the west will give him a visa (age) without either parent accompanying him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:38 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:no, won't work. just spoke to the travel agent. he says save the far east, no country in the west will give him a visa (age) without either parent accompanying him.

I'm not sure about that. You could speak to the embassy in Delhi or the consulate in Bombay.

They have one in Bangalore too now:

Address: CONSULATE GENERAL
WTC BANGALORE - UNIT 2201
BRIGADE GATEWAY CAMPUS
DR. RAJKUMAR ROAD, 26/1,
055 560 BANGALORE, INDIA
Phone Number:
91 072 2415513
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:48 am

i'll find out with the consulate in mumbai through my cousin. in fact my cousin is of the same view as you but i am waiting for tomorrow's result at the german consulate. kid is in kolkata right now so bangalore is not an option.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:48 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i'll find out with the consulate in mumbai through my cousin. in fact my cousin is of the same view as you but i am waiting for tomorrow's result at the german consulate. kid is in kolkata right now so bangalore is not an option.

You send your kid to Europe for V A C A T I O N?

Man... you must be super-rich and "this" close to getting on my "hit list"..Razz

Send him this time to Australia and next time you can send him to Amrikaa.

But, I think he should first go all over TN and realize the uniqueness and superiority of Tamils, and why India should be thankful to Tamils for the progress it has made...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:53 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i'll find out with the consulate in mumbai through my cousin. in fact my cousin is of the same view as you but i am waiting for tomorrow's result at the german consulate. kid is in kolkata right now so bangalore is not an option.

Man... you must be super-rich and "this" close to getting on my "hit list"..Razz

But, I think he should first go all over TN and realize the uniqueness and superiority of Tamils, and why India should be thankful to Tamils for the progress it has made...

Your Holiness who knows it all, this is becoming more and more common in India.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Met an old friend recently who promised their 10-year-old son amrika visit if he scored A+ in all the subjects. He did, and that's how i met them after years. The dad was joking, "I would be promised 100 marbles, or maybe 50-paise increment in the weekly allowance". Not that it matters, but the friend is a delhite thambi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:02 pm

sending him to europe for vacation (20 days) is costing me 2.5 lacs. 70% of his accompaniments in this package tour will be senior citizens as per SOTC statistics (twin sharing). so no question of being "super-rich."

australia too no. he cannot travel to the first world save the far east (as per latest information). ya, ok, japan, HK and singapore are not first world.  

his real choice is to stay at home. i am trying hard to kick him out (for the vacation). so a tour of india would be a harsh punishment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:11 pm

Wait. Why you sending him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:17 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:Wait. Why you sending him?
?? to spend his 2.5 month summer holiday by traveling the world instead of vegetating at home. your point?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:18 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
?? to spend his 2.5 month summer holiday by traveling the world instead of vegetating at home. your point?

good for him... i missed the post wherever you had posted this first, so was just setting the facts straight (for my records).

does he want to go?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:28 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

good for him... i missed the post wherever you had posted this first, so was just setting the facts straight (for my records).

does he want to go?
he wants to go to europe but he can't. he will go to singapore-bangkok. europe maybe next year in his summer holidays on internship.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

does he want to go?
he wants to go to europe but he can't. he will go to singapore-bangkok. europe maybe next year in his summer holidays on internship.

i may be wrong, but isn't bangkok an unwise choice for a teen boy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:52 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Why vegetating... Put him to work...even at pawn shop or gas station... I hear those are common these days. The reality will be beneficial. Sons/daughters of even the filthiest rich Amerikaans do that wonly. Sending him alone on a phoren trip on his own without sufficient grounding at home can put him in a lot of trouble and heartburn for you.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:30 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

does he want to go?

i may be wrong, but isn't bangkok an unwise choice for a teen boy?
no. my decision. circumstances don't make you bad. if you are bad you will succumb to bad habits regardless of circumstances. happened with me.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Appams can have eggs. May not subscribe to your puritan notions, but they do.

is this similar to the variations on the basic dosai, stuffing the poor things with idiocies like eggs, panneer, beef kheema, and things? if so the original inventor of the Appam cannot be blamed for it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:38 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

is this similar to the variations on the basic dosai, stuffing the poor things with idiocies like eggs, panneer, beef kheema, and things? if so the original inventor of the Appam cannot be blamed for it.

Il professore, there are many kinds of Appam, starting with palappam. You are probably thinking of palappam.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Il professore, there are many kinds of Appam, starting with palappam.

it is originally from kerala. we should wait for the only keralite sucher to weigh in with some authenticity.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Il professore, there are many kinds of Appam, starting with palappam.

it is originally from kerala. we should wait for the only keralite sucher to weigh in with some authenticity.

You could save yourself the trouble of waiting and Google it.

Here is one recipe for mutta Appam.
http://thattukada-myblog.blogspot.com/2010/01/mutta-appam.html

Last edited by Hellsangel on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:43 pm

if i google kheema dosai or panneer dosai, i am sure something comes up. doesn't mean either one is authentic. sometimes it's better to get the scoop from an insider to the culture or cuisine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:if i google kheema dosai or panneer dosai, i am sure something comes up. doesn't mean either one is authentic. sometimes it's better to get the scoop from an insider to the culture or cuisine.

Be my guest. Maybe you have your tambrahm puritanical notions. But outside of that a lot of variations happen to Appam. Look at the recipe above.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:if i google kheema dosai or panneer dosai, i am sure something comes up. doesn't mean either one is authentic. sometimes it's better to get the scoop from an insider to the culture or cuisine.

Be my guest. Maybe you have your tambrahm puritanical notions. But outside of that a lot of variations happen to Appam. Look at the recipe above.

it's not tambrahm puritanism, or maybe it is i don't know. i do eat fish often these days, and on the rare occasion chicken. i am a stickler for traditions in food. the notion of hijacking someone else's cuisine, screwing around with it, creating some monstrosity and then piggybacking on the original cuisine's brand label to market it seems very distasteful to me. i am however willing to admit i may be totally offbase in this case.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:11 pm

When I was a boy going to grade school in Madurai, aappam used to be my favorite breakfast that was made by an old lady, a street vendor, en route. I had a choice of regular aappam or mutai (egg) aappam, the latter being slightly more expensive. I indulged in both happily. This, along with idi aappam, also made with the same flour albeit served like rice noodles, used to be morning treats. I doubt that this is a kerala item since aappams are very much a food item among the villagers, particularly in Chettinadu.

I came across this picture of apong which looks exactly like egg aappam and also the chatti (wok) looks very similar. It is conceivable that Thai and Malaysian versions originated from South India.

http://lilyng2000.blogspot.com/2009/06/sharons-little-wok-apongappam.html

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:33 pm

In South Asia mainland, Tamils wre the only one who had naval force capable of conquering distant land.

Today tiny Lankan navy is murdering 100s of our fishermen, and no one to protect them.

"We are in such a pathetic situation that we could not help them. This situation should change" (M Karunanidhi November 23, 2008).

“We are like a man without hands and dumb, who is not able to protect the butter from the scorching sun. We know what we can do and what the Indian government can do”. (M Karunanidhi January 24, 2009).

For more details of this pathetic situation read
http://www.tamiltribune.com/09/0701.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:In South Asia mainland, Tamils wre the only one who had naval force capable of conquering distant land.

Today tiny Lankan navy is murdering 100s of our fishermen, and no one to protect them.

We are in such a pathetic situation that we could not help them. This situation should change" (M Karunanidhi November 23, 2008).
“We are like a man without hands and dumb, who is not able to protect the butter from the scorching sun. We know what we can do and what the Indian government can do”. (M Karunanidhi January 24, 2009).
For more details of this pathetic situation read
http://www.tamiltribune.com/09/0701.html

Trollus fishyeyeus, are you asking if we think this is accurate?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:11 pm

goodcitizn wrote: I doubt that this is a kerala item since aappams are very much a food item among the villagers, particularly in Chettinadu.

give appams to kerala.

'appam' is a just a generic term with variations like vellaappam, achappam, kuzhalappam, neyappam etc. tamilians make "athirasam", which i think is a sorry substitute for neyappam.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:21 pm

http://theyumblog.wordpress.com/2007/08/23/appam-and-vadai-for-varalakshmi-pooja-neivedyam/

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:11 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:no, won't work. just spoke to the travel agent. he says save the far east, no country in the west will give him a visa (age) without either parent accompanying him.

>>>>The far east may not be a bad option after all. See if he can throw in Bali or Cambodia into the mix. With Thailand, Cambodia would be a natural combo. Lots of architecture to feast his eyes on. Have him do Europe later. I didn't know there were all these complications with tourist visas when you travel from India.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 am

Kris wrote:

>>>>The far east may not be a bad option after all. See if he can throw in Bali or Cambodia into the mix. With Thailand, Cambodia would be a natural combo. Lots of architecture to feast his eyes on. Have him do Europe later. I didn't know there were all these complications with tourist visas  when you travel from India.
thanks for the tip kris. yeah, these restrictions have come into place quite recently to avoid illegal immigrants.

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:17 am

bw wrote:
goodcitizn wrote: I doubt that this is a kerala item since aappams are very much a food item among the villagers, particularly in Chettinadu.

give appams to kerala.

'appam' is a just a generic term with variations like vellaappam, achappam, kuzhalappam, neyappam etc. tamilians make "athirasam", which i think is a sorry substitute for neyappam.

Appam is not aappam. Aappam, I don't believe, hails from Kerala. It is a product of Tamil Nadu AFAIK.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:25 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote: 70% of his accompaniments in this package tour will be senior citizens as per SOTC statistics (twin sharing).

uh oh. no wonder he is not enthusiastic.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:35 am

goodcitizn wrote:
bw wrote:

give appams to kerala.

Appam is not aappam. Aappam, I don't believe, hails from Kerala. It is a product of Tamil Nadu AFAIK.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appam

veLLappam is what is called aappam.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:11 am

bw wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appam

veLLappam is what is called aappam.

Ah. Finally. Something we can attribute to Nasranis. I knew they were good for something other than funny names and grammar policing.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Ah. Finally. Something we can attribute to Nasranis. I knew they were good for something other than funny names and grammar policing.

look at these -  

vinod thomas

vinod thomas vinod

thomas thomas

are they ingratiating to aloo-gobi, gobi-aloo, gobi-aloo-gobi, aloo-aloo walahs?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next