Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 'Song-Meanings' thread - LCMD

+3
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
iTEDx
7 posters

Go down

The 'Song-Meanings' thread - LCMD Empty The 'Song-Meanings' thread - LCMD

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am

Though a couple of websites exist out there where one can post about meanings of songs, but they are nothing more than merely people discussing what their interpretation of the songs are. I think  since we have a lot of music enthusiasts on this forum, one can start this Song Meanings thread :-) People here can write what their interpretation of the song is.

So first song, Laga Chunari Me Daag (LCMD) I have never understood the entire meaning of the song, though I kind of guess its got something to do with a girl not being able to face her parents.

Specifically, what exactly the does the word 'Daag' refer to here?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

The 'Song-Meanings' thread - LCMD Empty Re: The 'Song-Meanings' thread - LCMD

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:35 am

Daag is a stain. The girl's complaint about the stain on her chunari could be taken literally or even interpreted as a taint on her character from something she did at her marital home.

But midway through the song (2:30 in the video), the girl and her problems are forgotten altogether and it becomes a philosophical lament about the worldly corruption of our souls that comes in the way of our salvation.

Last edited by Merlot Daruwala on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:40 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Daag is a stain. The song begins with a girl fretting about the stain on her chunari, but midway (2:30 in the video), it turns out to be a philosophical lament about the worldly corruption of our souls that comes in the way of our salvation.

ahhh...it has been decades since I heard this song...(although without understanding it).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks Merlot Daruwala . I think though that this song was revolutionary for its times, as I 'think' daag here refers to pre marital sex?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:51 am

iTEDx wrote:Thanks Merlot Daruwala . I think though that this song was revolutionary for its times, as I 'think' daag here refers to pre marital sex?

No, extra-marital perhaps. Her stain resulted from forgetting her father's advice, while at her sasuraal (i.e. marital home).
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 am

as i watched the song pick up tempo and the woman started dancing faster and faster, i expected it all to end with either the woman fainting or throwing up blood or at least an anklet flying through air and hitting someone.

she just lost an anklet. hmph.

Last edited by bw on Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 am; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:54 am

iTEDx wrote:Though a couple of websites exist out there where one can post about meanings of songs, but they are nothing more than merely people discussing what their interpretation of the songs are. I think  since we have a lot of music enthusiasts on this forum, one can start this Song Meanings thread :-) People here can write what their interpretation of the song is.

So first song, Laga Chunari Me Daag (LCMD) I have never understood the entire meaning of the song, though I kind of guess its got something to do with a girl not being able to face her parents.

Specifically, what exactly the does the word 'Daag' refer to here?

>>>I think the guy could be introducing the exotically named Mr. Laga Chunari in cockney, 'laga chanari, me dog' Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:56 am

bw wrote:as i watched the song pick up tempo and the woman start dancing faster and faster, i expected it all to end with either the woman fainting or throwing up blood or at least an anklet flying through air and hitting someone.

ROFL. Per cinematic rules, dancers only faint and singers throw up blood.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:17 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:as i watched the song pick up tempo and the woman start dancing faster and faster, i expected it all to end with either the woman fainting or throwing up blood or at least an anklet flying through air and hitting someone.

>>>and the audience often ends up throwing up its lunch Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:51 am

that clearly means she got herself in madras HC's crosshair and a pandit is on his way to the wedding hall.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:12 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

--- LOL

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:51 pm

What do you think Selena is talking about?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:55 pm

It just means you can't believe she said what she said.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:00 pm

Oh, I believe it alright! It's just that times have changed from when you had to resort to coy urdu phraseology and mughal imagery to fairly overt messaging.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:07 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:Oh, I believe it alright! It's just that times have changed from when you had to resort to coy urdu phraseology and mughal imagery to fairly overt messaging.

maybe it's too overt now... but until 90s my mom used to love this shift in trend. She would be like, 'people now say openly what they want to say, and not cover it in a dozen metaphors. In my times, it felt like it's not a song or a poem, but a puzzle, which u can interpret incorrectly'. LOL.

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:41 pm

very bollywood inspired song, what with the bindi, Indian dance moves and alll...and was that clearly the Tabla that I hear through out the song? She needs to grow up though, it was painful watching her sing and dance to that song; she looks like a 12 yr old child with puppy fat in her cheeks and doing those adult dance moves just is difficult to digest.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down