Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam

+6
Propagandhi711
truthbetold
confuzzled dude
Jebediah Mburuburu
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
yogi
10 posters

Go down

A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam Empty A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam

Post by yogi Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:28 am

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/hyderabad-boy-tops-iit-entrance/article4839156.ece

4 out of top 10 ranks (1,2,7,8 ) were secured by the A.P students and interestingly all these students belong to a single academy.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam Empty Re: A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:22 am

yogi wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/hyderabad-boy-tops-iit-entrance/article4839156.ece

4 out of top 10 ranks (1,2,7,8 ) were secured by the A.P students and interestingly all these students belong to a single academy.

This is the problem. The "Academy" is given all the credit - as i these guys would not have made it or received top ranks had they gone to some other place.

The "Super-30" in Bihar that coaches 30 poor and underprivileged students, with 28 going to JEE is a noble service.

But, do this Super-30 and other academies admit any poor person who comes in? NO. They do their own "admission" criteria to admit only those who have the potential not just to get past JEE but get high ranks as well.

So these coaching centers are great - the students are just raw bodies

IITs are great - the students are just regular duds

Parents, high school steachers, students efforts all have no role. High time I add the media to the list of criminals, baboos, politicians, and Looters.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam Empty Re: A.P students ace the IIT entrance exam

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:30 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
yogi wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/hyderabad-boy-tops-iit-entrance/article4839156.ece

This is the problem.  The "Academy" is given all the credit - as i these guys would not have made it or received top ranks had they gone to some other place.

The "Super-30" in Bihar that coaches 30 poor and underprivileged students, with 28 going to JEE is a noble service.

But, do this Super-30 and other academies admit any poor person who comes in? NO. They do their own "admission" criteria to admit only those who have the potential not just to get past JEE but get high ranks as well.

Parents, high school steachers, students efforts all have no role.  High time I add the media to the list of criminals, baboos, politicians, and Looters.

the students are given a lot of credit. the performance of these a.p. students is indeed amazing. no matter what one thinks of the jee or the coaching centers, the jee is a difficult exam. these students deserve a lot of credit. i'm not saying that jee performance is the ideal admission criterion.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:58 am

This is the problem.  The "Academy" is given all the credit - as i these guys would not have made it or received top ranks had they gone to some other place.

Parents, high school steachers, students efforts all have no role.  High time I add the media to the list of criminals, baboos, politicians, and Looters.

Yup, these students most likely could get in on their own, all these tutorials are doing is guide them so perform to their full potential. I don't grade these tutorials highly because they don't take an average student, motivate & make him perform beyond his potential.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:39 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

Yup, these students most likely could get in on their own, all these tutorials are doing is guide them so perform to their full potential. I don't grade these tutorials highly because they don't take an average student, motivate & make him perform beyond his potential.

EXACTLY....my views. If they were to take average guy - who happened to be average for a family, cultural, and financial reasons - and make them into a great guy then I will give credit to the centers. Same gripe against the IITs and IIMs. The good students will do goodly wherever they go. Take the middle band and make them into top graduates with their environment, and I will salute them. They cannot, and that is why they should convert IITs into IIMs focusing only on graduate education and turn the great graduates from other million colleges into top grade researchers and developers. The original intention behind establishing these IITs in the first place.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:42 pm

Sami and Cd,
You guys are barking up the wrong tree. These are coaching institutions that are designed for success in iit jee like exams. They are performing very well to meet or exceed their chosen objectives. They are private for profit institutions. Who are you to assign some imagined lofty objectives to these business?
What is wrong with a parent seeking extra advantage for their children to get to better schools and better places in life?
They are complaints about how they treat students and poor quality of their facilities. Those are items for discussion.
Ap students and coaching institutions are doing a good job. Leave them alone.
you can direct your fire against iit and govt to support your utopian ideals.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:51 pm

truthbetold wrote:Sami and Cd,
You guys are barking up the wrong tree. These are coaching institutions that are designed for success in iit jee like exams. They are performing very well to meet or exceed their chosen objectives. They are private for profit institutions. Who are you to assign some imagined lofty objectives to these business?
What is wrong with a parent seeking extra advantage for their children to get to better schools and better places in life?
They are complaints about how they treat students and poor quality of their facilities. Those are items for discussion.
Ap students and coaching institutions are doing a good job. Leave them alone.
you can direct your fire against iit and govt to support your utopian ideals.

Who said it is wrong! read my post again, where did I talk about their motives or mission.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:53 pm

truthbetold wrote:Sami and Cd,

Who said I am assigning these centers any objectives. They are free to do whatever they want to achieve their "objectives".

And I am free to say whatever I want to and call them whatever names I like to....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:11 pm

You are suggesting that these coaching institutions should pick ordinary and poor students and make them into jee winners. Why? Whose job is that?
You are also suggesting iits should focus on graduate research?
Why?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 pm

truthbetold wrote:You are suggesting that these coaching institutions should pick ordinary and poor students and make them into jee winners. Why? Whose job is that?
You are also suggesting iits should focus on graduate research?
Why?

IF these centers had picked ordinary students and make them into JEE winners, then I would admire them....IF..is the key word.

I knew a math prof (he was a literal genius in every subject) who used to give tuition/JEE classes in his garage-converted class: he would start them in grade 9 and took anyone. He first made these high schoolers become great students. He never could claim record # of JEE ranks or pass rates...but quite a few got in but all ended up as much better high school graduates and did quite well later.

Now he is/was (he died 4 yrs ago) a great guy.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm

Sami.,
This math Prof. Of yours, why is he a great guy?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:21 pm

If IIT JEE is so 'coachable' that any student who is coached well can score high and get in, then those institutions cease to be what they are: the IITs. People, esp parents, need to understand that and not push their average students to get into IITs. I have seen too many disappointed parents and disillusioned students. 

Coaching centers know this very well and take in only 'potential' students who have a high chance of scoring high if coached properly, not everyone. The coaching centers' role is pretty valuable, but  only up to a certain point. if the student doesn't have what it takes to get into IITs, then nobody (neither the coaching centers nor uppili's great math professor) can do anything. 

It's the same with SATs, ACTs, GREs, GMATs, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Uppili routinely kicks beauty queens out of his bed coz they haven't scored 110 in calculus. He once rejected spending a night with Nicole Kidman coz she developed a pimple on her ass...his standards are that high

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:Uppili routinely kicks beauty queens out of his bed coz they haven't scored 110 in calculus. He once rejected spending a night with Nicole Kidman coz she developed a pimple on her ass...his standards are that high

Nicole ??? you are wrong...She can never even get on my "wait list"...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Sami,
you did not take your meds today. You are shooting real duds today. Take it easy for the rest of the day.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:40 pm

truthbetold wrote:Sami.,
This math Prof. Of yours,  why is he a great guy?

who said he was MY math prof?

he IS in my mind and per my criteria.... People who do things differently or exhibit unique traits, and dont do the run of the mill stuff and run of the mill objectives are in a different category in my book.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Sami,
like your math Prof who went beyond call. Good. No problem.
coaching institute excelled in its job of helping students gain competetive edge.
Why mix things up? Why push your agenda on coaching institute?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:14 pm

truthbetold wrote:Sami,
coaching institute excelled in its job of helping students gain competetive edge.

are you a linguistic cripple?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

are you a linguistic cripple?

I think we all are to certain extent. This applies to many American's too, you don't have to go much farther than paying closer attention to your work e-mail exchanges, and will only get worse in this texting age. That aside, why don't Indian states conduct their [legal] business in local language, wonder what would it take to translate legal treatsie to various local official languages.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:06 pm

I thought they slipped a little in performance. Didn't they get 7 out of the first 10 ranks only recently? I was hoping for 8 out of 10 this year. The schools should quickly adopt the necessary corrective measures to improve, parents should stop being complacent, and the kids should work even harder.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Wonder why they all want to go to Bombay. Why not Kharagpur, Kanpur, Delhi, or Madras next door?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:22 pm

nenu wrote:
Coaching centers know this very well and take in only 'potential' students who have a high chance of scoring high if coached properly, not everyone. The coaching centers' role is pretty valuable, but  only up to a certain point. if the student doesn't have what it takes to get into IITs, then nobody (neither the coaching centers nor uppili's great math professor) can do anything. 

It's the same with SATs, ACTs, GREs, GMATs, etc.

You missed the point komboletely. So the SAT and ACT coaching classes pick and chose who they admit with the objective of ensuring the "reputation" of the coaching centers?

Perhaps the few in that Global Mall may be doing that - the typical desi methodology. In India, once a kid is stamped as dumb and useless, it faces a real uphill task to change that image across the board. The coaching center admission is almost as selective as school and college admission. In other words, the IIT filtering process starts right from 9th grade or earlier.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:38 pm

indophile wrote:Wonder why they all want to go to Bombay. Why not Kharagpur, Kanpur, Delhi, or Madras next door?

it's a beautiful campus in a very interesting city. why wouldn't they want to go to bombay?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:49 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
indophile wrote:Wonder why they all want to go to Bombay. Why not Kharagpur, Kanpur, Delhi, or Madras next door?

it's a beautiful campus in a very interesting city. why wouldn't they want to go to bombay?

I doubt many of these guys have seen the Powai campus or the Delhi campus. It is all what they "hear" from Coaching teachers, their former seniors from the centers, and the next door mamas.

My gripe is why everyone Compoooter science? other than data structures, and computer architecture classes, I found the rest of the classes boring and routine mundane exercises in programing and data base "management"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

I doubt many of these guys have seen the Powai campus or the Delhi campus. It is all what they "hear" from Coaching teachers, their former seniors from the centers, and the next door mamas.

My gripe is why everyone Compoooter science?  other than data structures, and computer architecture classes, I found the rest of the classes boring and routine mundane exercises in programing and data base "management"

computer science has always been a favorite of top rankers, but at IIT-B electrical engineering and a unique (at the time) major called engineering physics (EP), a combination of EE & physics were also very popular amongst top rankers. i think EP is a fantastic major.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

My gripe is why everyone Compoooter science?  other than data structures, and computer architecture classes, I found the rest of the classes boring and routine mundane exercises in programing and data base "management"

computer science has always been a favorite of top rankers, but at IIT-B electrical engineering and a unique (at the time) major called engineering physics (EP), a combination of EE & physics were also very popular amongst top rankers. i think EP is a fantastic major.

EP is a fantastic major for those who want to go all the way to PhD. They get well grounded in science and requisite engineering applications. Unfortunately, very few go for that as it is not sexy. Also, most are not that well decided on long term plans.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by yogi Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:49 pm

indophile wrote:

I thought they slipped a little in performance. Didn't they get 7 out of the first 10 ranks only recently? I was hoping for 8 out of 10 this year. The schools should quickly adopt the necessary corrective measures to improve, parents should stop being complacent, and the kids should work even harder.
you're kidding right? The performance was the same from last 5 years. Never did we get 7 out of top 10. Icing on the cake was that a girl for the 1st time secured a rank in top 10.
yogi
yogi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:06 pm

If IIT JEE is so 'coachable' that any student who is coached well can score high and get in, then those institutions cease to be what they are: the IITs. People, esp parents, need to understand that and not push their average students to get into IITs. I have seen too many disappointed parents and disillusioned students. 

>>>>I agree with you, although I don't think it is just the average students. It could well be the student has other areas of interest or is a late bloomer. In the former case, it would be a stifling of the student. In some cases, it could even be the selected students going along for the ride to please their parents. I know of three cases like that, including a cousin who is a gold medalist. He even followed thru with a PhD from a top school in the US, after some hesitation about leaving India altogether. He is very much into social service and spends quite a bit of time on it now. When time came for his kids to go to college in the US, he pretty much left it up to them. Both went to reasonably ranked public schools, but not the supposed 'top of the line' schools.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:10 pm

Sami said:
But, do this Super-30 and other academies admit any poor person who comes in? NO. They do their own "admission" criteria to admit only those who hasami quoteve the potential not just to get past JEE but get high ranks as well.
Cd:
.... take an average student, motivate & make him perform beyond his potential.

Max, the linguistic genius, using your superior cognitive skills can you help us understand why we cannot question the above moral confusion? What is the relevance of uplifting the average student to improved performance to the issue of coaching institute performance in jee ranking?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:16 pm

truthbetold wrote: What is the relevance of uplifting the average student to improved performance to the issue of coaching institute performance in jee ranking?

eh?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:18 pm

you did not take your meds today. You are shooting real duds today.  Take it easy for the rest of the day.

Why are you taking personally whatever Saamiyaar said?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 pm

Why are you taking personally ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUh3TZpMCY4:

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:44 pm

Kris wrote:
Why are you taking personally ...

http:
well said kris.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:45 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote: What is the relevance of uplifting the average student to improved performance to the issue of coaching institute performance in jee ranking?

eh?
that's what i thought too. thanks genius.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:23 pm

truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

eh?
that's what i thought too. thanks genius.

are you sure you aren't related to the incomprehensible tamil constable in rishi's article about linguistic cripples?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:29 pm

According to your prejudiced mind we are twins. Can we now get back to your superior cognitive skills?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 pm

truthbetold wrote:Sami said:
But, do this Super-30 and other academies admit any poor person who comes in? NO. They do their own "admission" criteria to admit only those who hasami quoteve the potential not just to get past JEE but get high ranks as well.
Cd:
.... take an average student,  motivate & make him perform beyond his potential.

Max, the linguistic genius, using your superior cognitive skills can you help us understand why we cannot question the above moral confusion? What is the relevance of uplifting the average student to improved performance to the issue of coaching institute performance in jee ranking?

There is no moral confusion, as none of us are asking the tutorials to change their ways or for profit motives. It was merely our personal grading which amounts to zilch just like every SucH discussion.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

eh?
that's what i thought too. thanks  genius.

are you sure you aren't related to the incomprehensible  tamil constable in rishi's article about linguistic cripples?

It was not a constable with just a high school education.

It was a lawyer in Chennai who drafted the first information report.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:04 am

Rishi wrote:

It was not a constable with just a high school education.

It was a lawyer in Chennai who drafted the first information report.

If he is any good in English, he would have gone to IT....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
Cd:
.... take an average student,  motivate & make him perform beyond his potential.

There is no moral confusion, as none of us are asking the tutorials to change their ways or for profit motives. It was merely our personal grading which amounts to zilch just like every SucH discussion.
cd,
just like everyother such discussion your griping (grading) is challenged. however people with superior cognitive skills declared that as the work of linguistic cripple but refuse shed more light on the issue when challenged.
any one make decorative statements but one should have the courage to standup when challenged.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:13 pm

yogi wrote:
you're kidding right? The performance was the same from last 5 years. Never did we get 7 out of top 10. Icing on the cake was that a girl for the 1st time secured a rank in top 10.

Yes, I was facetious about kids working even harder. But I was not kidding about 7 out of the top 10. Here is the story about the 7/10.
http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/andhra-pradesh/ap-records-impressive-performance-in-iitjee/article439219.ece

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:52 pm

truthbetold wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Cd:

cd,
just like everyother such discussion your griping (grading) is challenged. however people with superior cognitive skills declared that as the work of linguistic cripple  but refuse shed more light on the issue when challenged.
any one make decorative statements but one should have the courage to standup when challenged.

tbt -- i have a vague sense that you want me to say something. i'd reply to you if only i understood your writing. most of the time you write like a dyslexic person who also has a poor grasp of english grammar. i will reply to you when you write more clearly. i really mean it when i say i can't understand you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:04 pm

Max,
relax. i got contact information of a super coach who tutors pompous air heads like you.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down