Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Linguistic Cripples

3 posters

Go down

Linguistic Cripples Empty Linguistic Cripples

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:26 pm

Very few of our policemen know how to register an F.I.R. in legible hand leave alone one that is factually accurate and grammatically correct. Their ignorance of the law is frightening though expected. Their low educational skills make it virtually impossible for them to read and understand even bare acts leave alone legal treatises in antiquated Victorian English. But they take no time to pick up those provisions of law which help them fleece money. A linguistic analysis of the petitions filed by our lawyers even at higher levels, leave alone district courts, reads like products of a deranged brain. Here is an extract from an F.I.R. drafted by a Chennai lawyer in a murder case:

…two members going to received the money...at the Time of medicine of mind effect and drinking methyl Alcohol for compulsory husband over drinking..This person Elumalai over drinking and tired staying my house. Again Drinking of Methyl Slcohol for my husband. After my husband wanted meals please take it by Anunchalam. But overtake of again and again attacked the Neg. Suddenly my husand Rolled to Land and earth. Retenched husband again and again attacked. Over attack for snag for my husband place...Husband sounded stoned some place. Ramaraja...warming Drinking of person attack for Arunchalam unattack of call to go and Sang removed...Five members joined attacked for my husband Head, mouth nose, attacked things of goods for stones. Some place suddenly number of husband…
    My husband's sister Lands of aggiculture lands buying try to Arunchalam. But my husband overtake same Land buying my husband another sister's husband for 9 months. The problem dated warning for my husbands dated 27th April 1993 murder to my husband. The 5 members of speeches of my husband murder to doing ease for you. Also warning for me. My husband murders above 5 members promised. Related persons but deployed for me. Department of police something rupees alloted for received anybody. No action and Responses.
    Respected Sir, this problem solved for me. The murder of my husband and brother Annamalai warning. Enquired for the problems solved please, Sir, Thanking you...[XYZ]

Linguistic Cripples
I hear similar gibberish even in elite business chambers and ministerial pronouncements. Most of us Indians sound mentally retarded when we propound our ideas in English. We are today becoming a nation of linguistic cripples which is an important reason why the work calibre of our professionals is so shoddy. A person who cannot handle any language competently is unlikely to be able to handle concepts or ideas required to think things through. Most of even our MBBS doctors are so poorly equipped in English that they cannot possibly follow the latest medical information already available in international journals even if they are inclined to access it. Therefore, too many of them practise quackery after having procured medical degrees of doubtful worth.
While we are churning out millions of unemployable matriculates, B.A.s and M.A.s, the country is facing a real shortage of skilled electricians, plumbers and a host of such technicians because we are simply not investing any money or energy into this area. Under our traditional occupation-based caste system, every child picked some or the other valuable skill from his parents, a skill which had been developed and perfected through generations. Today, everybody wants to be a white-collar pen pusher because that alone brings status and money. Only those who cannot make it, take to blue-collar occupations, but without the required skills for them. The electrical wirings in our public buildings are a virtual death trap; our water treatment plants are a scandal; our power stations are forever breaking down, our municipal sewage pipes frequently leak into water pipes. Most of those actually operating these services could not spell the word “hygiene” leave alone know how to provide a clean water supply. The fault is not theirs. The children of our impoverished farmers and artisans learn what they can by simply watching other ill-trained people. Their own educational skills are not such that they can acquire this knowledge through self-study.

http://creative.sulekha.com/the-dominance-of-angreziyat-in-our-education_103472_blog

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Linguistic Cripples Empty Re: Linguistic Cripples

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:12 pm

http://dawn.com/news/1019844/mother-tongue-as-mode-of-instruction

Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch said in his first speech on the floor that the mother tongue would be the mode of instruction in the province; it is a commendable decision.

The medium of instruction in the mother tongue is important for educational pursuits.

It is a recognised fact all over the world that when children are taught in their mother tongue they do not feel reluctant to go to school and pick up concepts better. They also express themselves in a better way.

Their confidence level also builds up.

I request the chief minister to take steps in this direction as soon as possible to teach in the mother tongue at the primary level.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Rishi wrote:http://dawn.com/news/1019844/mother-tongue-as-mode-of-instruction

Chief Minister Dr Malik Baloch said in his first speech on the floor that the mother tongue would be the mode of instruction in the province; it is a commendable decision.

The medium of instruction in the mother tongue is important for educational pursuits.

It is a recognised fact all over the world that when children are taught in their mother tongue they do not feel reluctant to go to school and pick up concepts better. They also express themselves in a better way.

Their confidence level also builds up.

I request the chief minister to take steps in this direction as soon as possible to teach in the mother tongue at the primary level.

The medium of INSTRUCTION should be mother tongue while the "technical Terminology" could be in english. simply transferred. No need to call a Computer a "Kaniyum", or "Paerundhu" for bus, or Vahanum for ca. Even the man on the street uses English words for computer, bus, and car. It is this fanatical insistence on the use of mother tongue (or Tamil) for everything which scares people. Those from Tamil medium have trouble in college not bcz of the English (which they learn as second language for 12 years), but the sudden replacement of "tamil Terminology" with English terminology in college. They could introduce subjects in "English conversation" and "English terminology" for 4 yrs after 9th grade. If they do it, the mother tongue (or Tamil medium) will be just fantastic and unbeatable.

This is much like the greek and latin origin words in health care education. I doubt the Indian Doctors are that well versed in the pure anatomical terminology as the ones who go to med school in US. One can see them struggle immensely with "technical" terms as they use simple english replacement terminology in Indian medical schools.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:21 am

>> No need to call a Computer a "Kaniyum", or "Paerundhu" for bus

Limit your posts to things you know.

Creation of Tamil Words from Early River Valley Civilization to Modern Technological Age
http://www.tamiltribune.com/10/0701.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down