Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Financial collapse redux in china?

3 posters

Go down

Financial collapse redux in china? Empty Financial collapse redux in china?

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:27 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/06/20/chinas-economy-is-freezing-up-how-freaked-out-should-we-be/

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Financial collapse redux in china? Empty Re: Financial collapse redux in china?

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:33 pm

What will happen if China decides to sell the foreign-held U.S. Treasury Securities since it has over 26% of the total and well over 1.2 trillion dollars? The domino effect could be devastating. Kris can probably shed some light on the role of banks on such matters.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 pm

Let us say you have a very rich neighbor and he knows everything that goes on in your household since you do not believe in curtains. The guy knows you are gainfully employed and produce 16 dollars worth of output in a year. You host a lot of parties and there is revelry all around. The neighbor has a set of binoculars.  And your name is Gatsby.

Whenever you run short, the neighbor is ever-ready to give you more loan since he knows if he gives it to his own children, he may never get it back. Right now, he has given you 4 dollars. He hopes your parties and the people that come to them will come up with ideas to give him a good interest rate. He also knows there is not much else going on, in the town and everyone is in a miserable state just like his own home.

If he even thinks of selling a dollar of this loan to someone else, he would be taking a huge hit on the rest of the loan and be forced to write-off losses. So, even as he slurps on his noodles, he watches you, mr.gatsby, enjoy your foie gras; me? you ask... i am over there at gatsby's international food section enjoying the malai kofta and avial.

Financial collapse redux in china? 800px-U.S._National_Debt_-_Dollars_and_Relative_to_GDP

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:05 pm

That's what I meant when I cautioned about the domino effect. China is in a tough situation along with Japan, Taiwan, Brazil, UK, Russia, Switzerland, Germany and the rest who all hold huge amounts in Treasury Securities.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down