Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rape redux

+5
Rishi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
goodcitizn
Jeremiah Mburuburu
MaxEntropy_Man
9 posters

Go down

rape redux Empty rape redux

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 am

unbelievable!

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/13/world/asia/india-new-gang-rape/index.html?hpt=hp_t1
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

rape redux Empty Re: rape redux

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:55 am

Both New Delhi and Gurdaspur are in northern India. -- cnn

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:59 am

Not only unbelievable but unpardonable as well.

Here's the excerpt that I'd like to comment on:

"A juvenile court is determining the age of a sixth suspect, who claims to be 17 and not old enough to be tried as an adult.

At the time, the government pledged stronger laws against sexual assaults.

The number of reported rapes in India -- a country where a cultural stigma keeps many victims from reporting the crime -- has increased drastically, from 2,487 in 1971 to 24,206 in 2011, according to official figures.

Most women in India have stories of sexual harassment and abuse on public transportation or on the streets, said Seema Sirohi, of the Indian Council on Global Relations."

1. If the 17-year-old juvenile is old enough to rape, why is he not old enough to be convicted as an adult?

2. The govt can pledge stonger laws to be enacted. So what? Enactment is a far cry from enforcement. I am not sure if there are statistics showing the percentage of convictions resulting in punishment, even as a slap in the wrist as criminal assault. I wonder how the panchayat system handles rapes in rural areas.

3. I assume that a good percentage of rapes go unreported. So at least those that have witness (of sexual abuse in public transportation or out on the streets) need to be pursued. Is the society so de-sensitized that witnesses aren't forthcoming or is it the tedious legal process that scares away witnesses to come forward?

Last edited by goodcitizn on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:00 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/world/asia/in-rapes-aftermath-india-debates-violence-against-women.html?ref=global-home&_r=0

the lights of the western press are now firmly on the problems indian women face in their daily lives. front page news in the times. i'm sure it will tick some people off.

Still, Indian husbands beat their wives far less than men in many other developing countries, according to comparable surveys done in multiple countries. Domestic violence levels are far higher in Colombia, Egypt, Peru and Zambia than in India, the surveys found.

gee, that's really heartening.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:18 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/world/asia/in-rapes-aftermath-india-debates-violence-against-women.html?ref=global-home&_r=0

the lights of the western press are now firmly on the problems indian women face in their daily lives. front page news in the times. i'm sure it will tick some people off.

Still, Indian husbands beat their wives far less than men in many other developing countries, according to comparable surveys done in multiple countries. Domestic violence levels are far higher in Colombia, Egypt, Peru and Zambia than in India, the surveys found.

gee, that's really heartening.

No sweat. The Indian magic carpet is capable of having any dirt promptly swept under it!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Soon all Sardars will be viewed as Rapists in addition to being terrorists.

1. The world media will focus on Indian rapes more than other things.

2. Indians will soon get de-sensitized to Gang rapes, thus it is becoming no big deal - as long as no rusted rods are pierced into their abdomen.

3. Imagine if this is the case for an married female stranger, what will be the case for southern women married into Naarthie families in India. What she has to put up with the in-laws, many of whome may be unmarriageable. Are these the modern draupathis?

4. Wait for these crimes to seep and spread to other parts of India.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

3. Imagine if this is the case for an married female stranger, what will be the case for southern women married into Naarthie families in India.

already happening.

no need to imagine.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:

3. Imagine if this is the case for an married female stranger, what will be the case for southern women married into Naarthie families in India.

already happening.

no need to imagine.

OMG!

Why on earth this woman from Kerala who has some knowledge of the outside world end up with this NI idiot?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:37 pm

i don't know if these are isolated cases sensationalized for news purposes, or there is an actual trend of importing brides from the southern states.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i don't know if these are isolated cases sensationalized for news purposes, or there is an actual trend of importing brides from the southern states.

All the cases mentioned in the newsreport are Kerala girls who probably learned Hindi and used that to market themselves in the matrimonial exchange. Now we know the real purpose of Dakshin Hindi Prachar Sabha and its founding with foresight.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:30 pm

So..let me infer..

The young, poor muslim girls are married off to old rich Arabs.

The young, poor hindu women are married off to Naarthern Haryanvis.

Besh Besh...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

why are these girls from the south (kerala?) married off to north indians? for money? or they don't have enough men in their states?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:09 pm

bw wrote:why are these girls from the south (kerala?) married off to north indians? for money? or they don't have enough men in their states?

the haryanvis are prepared to marry them without taking any dowry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:21 pm

Rashmun wrote:
bw wrote:why are these girls from the south (kerala?) married off to north indians? for money? or they don't have enough men in their states?

the haryanvis are prepared to marry them without taking any dowry.

Perhaps. all men from Keral are super Virile and the women are scared....Razz

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Yes. And yes.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:22 am

As all the debates about rape continue-as they should..the travesty is that sex-trade (trafficking) is booming in India with "legitimate rapes"..no massive protests..and Indian children-boys/women living under dangerous circumstances.

Interesting to see some Indians say..India is so dangerous and they are never going to visit India with their children..I would say to them- if your children grew up in the US-protected by you with no exposure to the street life in India/or US for that matter..it's better for you to advice them not to wander around, send them with people you trust or better yet..you go with them..

The horrible comments people are posting about India..like someone gave them manna to chew on..it sometimes takes a Non-Indian to give some perspective..*I am not saying that we should "cover up crimes" in India..but, instead of selective outrage and hypocrisy..some fair-minded treatment of people across all lines is important..otherwise it will be repeating cycles..with a lot of empty talk.

From NYT:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/opinion/sunday/is-delhi-so-different-from-steubenville.html?_r=0

Excerpt:

"And in Washington, our members of Congress show their concern for sexual violence by failing to renew the Violence Against Women Act, a landmark law first passed in 1994 that has now expired.

Gender violence is one of the world’s most common human rights abuses. Women worldwide ages 15 through 44 are more likely to die or be maimed because of male violence than because of cancer, malaria, war and traffic accidents combined. The World Health Organization has found that domestic and sexual violence affects 30 to 60 percent of women in most countries."

*And does someone really think there are no gang rapes in the US..family sexual abuse/violence..good to see the new Miss America be willing to talk publicly about the sexual abuse in her family for generations - esp. her mother who was apparently abused for years.

http://www.beautyworldnews.com/articles/2841/20130114/miss-america-mallory-hagan-child-sexual-abuse.htm
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:55 am

Why do women (or men) not report sexual crimes-anywhere? Top answers..there are many more.

1. Shock- Fear-confusion

2. Lack of support

3. Difficult legal process - Stranger rape is easier to report. *Family/Acquaintance sexual assaults..UNLESS there are injuries - usually severe..it's she said-he said.

4. Stigma and aftermath -it will change one's life forever..on every level (for example- relationships..including perceptions in one's own family and friends..spouse, parents, children- the bonds change..some may become stronger, others usually distance themselves..don't know how to deal with this).

*Only 2-3 people/10 are perhaps willing to go through this, imo. Most people would rather suffer immensely in silence..may share-talk to someone they trust- it's not easy to persuade people to report.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 pm

Maria S wrote:Why do women (or men) not report sexual crimes-anywhere? Top answers..there are many more.

1. Shock- Fear-confusion

2. Lack of support

3. Difficult legal process - Stranger rape is easier to report. *Family/Acquaintance sexual assaults..UNLESS there are injuries - usually severe..it's she said-he said.

4. Stigma and aftermath -it will change one's life forever..on every level (for example- relationships..including perceptions in one's own family and friends..spouse, parents, children- the bonds change..some may become stronger, others usually distance themselves..don't know how to deal with this).

*Only 2-3 people/10 are perhaps willing to go through this, imo. Most people would rather suffer immensely in silence..may share-talk to someone they trust- it's not easy to persuade people to report.

Maria: My late friend in the cinema world (you know who I am referring to) used to get very upset with the "masala formula" used by certain film-makers/directors to gain gate-revenue from B & C (small towns & villages) audiences, the formula being: love triangle, fight scenes and a rape scene. He was dead against promoting rape scenes as a form of vulgar entertainment to the rural masses.

It is sickeing to read "rape news" week after week in India. I don't know if such masala movies have a contributory impact on such crimes against women -- even minimally; if so, the censor board has an obligation to sharpen its scissors.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:44 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Maria: My late friend in the cinema world (you know who I am referring to) used to get very upset with the "masala formula" used by certain film-makers/directors to gain gate-revenue from B & C (small towns & villages) audiences, the formula being: love triangle, fight scenes and a rape scene. He was dead against promoting rape scenes as a form of vulgar entertainment to the rural masses.

It is sickeing to read "rape news" week after week in India. I don't know if such masala movies have a contributory impact on such crimes against women -- even minimally; if so, the censor board has an obligation to sharpen its scissors.

GC,

Your friend was perhaps right..unless it was a rare exception (absolutely essential for the storyline)..think it did send/ sends mix messages to the already confused people..at least in the old days- there was some small messages/preaching (which modern people hate) added..for what it was worth (!).

Now, the images are even more graphic.."family structures" are going through a lot of changes with hardly any elders for guidance and the elders seem self-absorbed themselves..don't really care..and into their own surfing, all kinds of stuff! At least one could turn to some good teachers, mentors, clergy..etc for some advice..nowadays for most people (anywhere) "it's a job/business"..one is luck to find people who really care.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:17 pm

Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

GC,

Your friend was perhaps right..unless it was a rare exception (absolutely essential for the storyline)..think it did send/ sends mix messages to the already confused people..at least in the old days- there was some small messages/preaching (which modern people hate) added..for what it was worth (!).

Now, the images are even more graphic.."family structures" are going through a lot of changes with hardly any elders for guidance and the elders seem self-absorbed themselves..don't really care..and into their own surfing, all kinds of stuff! At least one could turn to some good teachers, mentors, clergy..etc for some advice..nowadays for most people (anywhere) "it's a job/business"..one is luck to find people who really care.

Yes, some strata of people are getting desensitized or apathetic. More than mentoring, India needs better news on the punishment to such heinous acts against women. It is not enough to enact laws, but to enforce them post haste because I believe that delayed justice is denied justice. Sad as it is that only a fraction of the rape victims come forward, let us hope that a significantly higher percentage of such sexual offenders are brought to justice and thrown in prison for life.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm

[quote="goodcitizn"]
Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Maria: My late friend in the cinema world (you know who I am referring to) used to get very upset with the "masala formula" .

GC,

Your friend was perhaps right..unless it was a rare exception (absolutely essential for the storyline). let us hope that a significantly higher percentage of such sexual offenders are brought to justice and thrown in prison for life.

This is a circular, and complex issue that calls for a multi-pronged apparoach:

1. The judicary needs to be speeded up to put some fear in the criminals.

2. Law enforcement should be made semi-independent and accountable. Transfer any and all rape cases to a "female police Div" Most abusive - including rape - cases should be transferred to its jurisdiction.

3. Censor all scene that explicitly show rape. A succinct view will be enough.

4. Discipline children and kids from a young age against taunting and gesturing girls in any negative way.

5. Teach girls on self-defense and train them psychologically how to handle bullies and tormentors.

6. promote cultural acceptance of girls who are raped and work on removing the victimhood mindset.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:42 pm

[quote="Marathadi-Saamiyaar"]
goodcitizn wrote:
Maria S wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Maria: My late friend in the cinema world (you know who I am referring to) used to get very upset with the "masala formula" .

GC,

Your friend was perhaps right..unless it was a rare exception (absolutely essential for the storyline). let us hope that a significantly higher percentage of such sexual offenders are brought to justice and thrown in prison for life.

This is a circular, and complex issue that calls for a multi-pronged apparoach:

1. The judicary needs to be speeded up to put some fear in the criminals.

2. Law enforcement should be made semi-independent and accountable. Transfer any and all rape cases to a "female police Div" Most abusive - including rape - cases should be transferred to its jurisdiction.

3. Censor all scene that explicitly show rape. A succinct view will be enough.

4. Discipline children and kids from a young age against taunting and gesturing girls in any negative way.

5. Teach girls on self-defense and train them psychologically how to handle bullies and tormentors.

6. promote cultural acceptance of girls who are raped and work on removing the victimhood mindset.

Your #6 is right on the mark. Indian needs to go to school on this big time.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down