Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold

+5
Captain Bhankas
Petrichor
Propagandhi711
goodcitizn
iTEDx
9 posters

Go down

The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold Empty The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:11 pm

What the Fuck is wrong with people?

http://www.theartwolf.com/10_expensive.htm

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold Empty Re: The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:13 pm

what do you think of this painting?

The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold Jahangirsufi

Back to top Go down

The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold Empty Re: The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:17 pm

Nice very beautiful, though I like paintings with beautiful women more. hey check this out

http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/paintings-that-look-like-photos-1372099405-slideshow/life-like-paintings-photo-2003671394.html

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:18 pm

iTEDx wrote:What the Fuck is wrong with people?

The most difficult picture must be the flag. How much did it go for?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:19 pm

iTEDx wrote:Nice very beautiful, though I like paintings with beautiful women more. hey check this out

http://news.yahoo.com/lightbox/paintings-that-look-like-photos-1372099405-slideshow/life-like-paintings-photo-2003671394.html

thanks for the link.

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:22 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

The most difficult picture must be the flag. How much did it go for?

you must be joking! The simplest is the flag. Sold for 110 Mil USD. If there is any painting  to write home about its probably the 2 Klimts and may be the Elvis. Surprizingly no van gogh in the list.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:24 pm

iTEDx wrote:Nice very beautiful, though I like paintings with beautiful women more. hey check this out

Nice picture. Nothing to beat Norman Rockwell's portrait of him painting a portrait of himself.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:26 pm

what do you think of this painting? it shows jahangir man-love for his friend. it is said they had a hearty dinner of dog and tiger kebabs right after the banging.

The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold Jahangirsdream

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:28 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:what do you think of this painting? it shows jahangir man-love for his friend. it is said they had a hearty dinner of dog and tiger kebabs right after the banging.

the one with the wider hips plays the woman, i suppose.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 pm

I am surprised The Kiss didn't make the cut...it was special!

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:30 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:what do you think of this painting? it shows jahangir man-love for his friend. it is said they had a hearty dinner of dog and tiger kebabs right after the banging.

oh yeah the one with more cushion for the pushin plays the catcher. the skinny one with the azure blue pumps does the pumping..

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Muezzin-Bar'chu wrote:I am surprised The Kiss didn't make the cut...it was special!

Yeah, I liked the kiss more than the scratch!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Nice picture. Nothing to beat Norman Rockwell's portrait of him painting a portrait of himself.
 Just checked out Norman Rockwell's tripe potrait, pretty amazing! Other painting by him are also good. Wonder why his paitings didnt make it to the list. Speaking of potraits check out my link, I think the woman has done an amzing job of paintings that look like pictures.

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:17 pm

iTEDx wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:

Just checked out Norman Rockwell's tripe potrait, pretty amazing! Other painting by him are also good. Wonder why his paitings didnt make it to the list. Speaking of potraits check out my link, I think the woman has done an amzing job of paintings that look like pictures.

I saw the paintings on your link. Yes, she did a great job. I think van Gogh also did a painting of him painting himself.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:59 am

rofllllll. never fail to make me laugh these mughal artifacts. 

btw, that white animal, i think, is a goat. i think the artist wanted to show that akbar > whoever the hindu king he is embracing and akbar:lion::hindu king::goat. notice the skin color difference. notice how singham is towering over the goat. it disturbs me greatly that i can't figure out what those angel heads mean, though.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:11 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

btw, that white animal, i think, is a goat. i think the artist wanted to show that akbar > whoever the hindu king he is embracing and akbar:lion::hindu king::goat. notice the skin color difference. notice how singham is towering over the goat. it disturbs me greatly that i can't figure out what those angel heads mean, though.

Your eagle eye missed those high heel shoes, Cap'n.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 am

>>>#1 and 2- nice.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:26 am

Rashmun wrote:what do you think of this painting?

The Mughal emperor had winged individuals to evacuate the nightsoil from the bottom of his transparent potty seat. Were those dalit angels?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:29 am

ROFLLLLLLLLL@ GC and MD. 

i think the artist wanted to take a potshot at the hindu king's poor dress sense. yellow socks and high heels? in a few strokes of a brush, this artist caused more damage to the king than akbar could do with his entire army.

these paintings are a sure shot entertainment. never fail. good fun.

Last edited by Captain Bhankas on Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:33 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Rashmun wrote:what do you think of this painting?

The Mughal emperor had winged individuals to evacuate the nightsoil from the bottom of his transparent potty seat. Were those dalit angels?

lol! Now we know why they call it the throne, Nephew.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:35 am

hahaha @ throne. please stop. oh my god. stop. please.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:46 am

Vidya Bagchi wrote:

ROFL...looking at where the high-heeled one's right hand is placed, I'm guessing it's the woman's turn to come.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:47 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:ROFLLLLLLLLL@ GC and MD. 

i think the artist wanted to take a potshot at the hindu king's poor dress sense. yellow socks and high heels? in a few strokes of a brush, this artist caused more damage to the king than akbar could do with his entire army.

Psst, I don't think our local akbarian will take kindly to our levity over moghul arts. Odds are that he will embark feverishly on further research into such a serious subject matter using his most trusted assistants - Mr. Sharply Cut and Ms. Neatly Paste.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

Oh they are those Dalit angels, carrying HRH's chamber-pot with them wherever he goes. That big circle behind the Emperor is the top view of the pot.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:05 am

hahaha, this answers itedix's question from the other thread - why don't artists  distribute pamphlets of what they mean by their piece of art? it is much more fun when it is left to viewers' imagination.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:33 am

i thought HRH never has to go. he only eliminates rose flowers and gulab jamuns.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:29 am

deconstruct this:
The 10 MOST EXPENSIVE paintings sold Hdr-mughal-art-415
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 am

That's not a Hindu king. It is the King of Persia (on a lamb or goat) who Jahangir (on the Indian lion) is embracing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:deconstruct this:

many skin colors co-existed in northindia of the time.
men kept their hair short or long, dunno, coz they kept their head covered.
men either kept beard or mustache with long sideburns.
only vegetable dyes were available, in terms of colors.
paper was invented.
the artist knows only two types of nose-shapes.
men fashion included sheer kurtas *shudder*

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:58 am

goodcitizn wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

btw, that white animal, i think, is a goat. i think the artist wanted to show that akbar > whoever the hindu king he is embracing and akbar🦁:hindu king::goat. notice the skin color difference. notice how singham is towering over the goat. it disturbs me greatly that i can't figure out what those angel heads mean, though.

lol!

The high heel blue shoes are best along with caressing. Nice Mughal tradition.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:30 am

southindian wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

btw, that white animal, i think, is a goat. i think the artist wanted to show that akbar > whoever the hindu king he is embracing and akbar🦁:hindu king::goat. notice the skin color difference. notice how singham is towering over the goat. it disturbs me greatly that i can't figure out what those angel heads mean, though.

lol!

The high heel blue shoes are best along with caressing. Nice Mughal tradition.

The high heel shoes are worn by the king of Persia Shah Abbas (who is standing atop either a lamb or a goat). Jahangir had sent his painters to the court of the king so that the painting they creating of Shah Abbas would be authentic.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:26 am

jahangir, his royal roundness.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:28 am

who is this king? does anyone know, and why is he petting a man like he would a dog?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:32 am

He is not petting him like he would a dog, but like a he would a child. well what stands out for me is that why is this guy darker than the rest? Is he a slave on death row asking for 'presidential pardon'?

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:17 pm

To me the prince looks like he has a clone in the background just in case he gets snuffed. And the darker dude wearing the orange baseball cap has a clone equally ready to take his spot in the event of a beheading. Looks like there was a fire sale recently on daggers since everyone is sporting one.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:36 am

Rashmun wrote:

That's not a Hindu king. It is the King of Persia (on a lamb or goat) who Jahangir (on the Indian lion) is embracing.

thanks for the clarification, rashmun.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:46 am

i see sara boji's great great great great grandfather dutifully taking notes on everyone's caste, creed, religion and color near the right hand bottom corner. philip kuruvilla's ancestor can be seen with a dictionary stuck under his arm just behind boji's ancestor. i also see vaka kaka paka kaka kaka kaka's great great great great grandfather yelling "garibi hatao!" determinedly, waving his fist behind the emperor while nobody is noticing his cries.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:10 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

who is this king? does anyone know, and why is he petting a man like he would a dog?
>>>It may just the artist capturing a day in the court. There probably was a time set aside periodically for the hoi polloi to make their pleas to the Shah directly- kind of an 'open door' policy thing on a limited basis. The various skin shades probably indicate the pecking order. The lighter guys probably had Persian blood which would have qualified them as nobility in a Mughal court. The medium colored ones (dare I say "wheatish" complexioned?) probably represent the Rajput-hangers-on. The dark guys were probably the citizens feeling honored the king listened to them. Its probably shah-jehan or Jahangir, if I were to hazard a guess.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:31 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:

i see sara boji's great great great great grandfather dutifully taking notes on everyone's caste, creed, religion and color near the right hand bottom corner. philip kuruvilla's ancestor can be seen with a dictionary stuck under his arm just behind boji's ancestor. i also see vaka kaka paka kaka kaka kaka's great great great great grandfather yelling "garibi hatao!" determinedly, waving his fist behind the emperor while nobody is noticing his cries.

ROFL @ Boji and Philip's ancestors.

I see Upps' great great great great grandfather in the foreground, glowing in that see-through dress, being pushed down by Abdullahi (or whatever) to supplicate at HRH's feet, as befitting a conquered woman.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:34 am

sorry for posting a list, but this is what I call real art.

http://www.listology.com/lukeprog/list/100-greatest-paintings-all-time-pics/

one of my favorite being
Giotto: Cappella degli Scrovegni, Padova (1305)

Bruegel: The Battle Between Carnival and Lent (1559) - Kunsthistorisches Museum, Wien

1. Tansey: Forward Retreat (1986) - Broad Art Foundation, #
  2. Veronese: Nozze di Cana (1563) - Louvre, Paris

1. Klimt: Judith I (1901) - Belvedere, Wien

and all the
Renoirs

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by iTEDx Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:28 am

oops sorry about the format dunno what happened

iTEDx

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down