Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

impressionist paintings i like

5 posters

Go down

impressionist paintings i like Empty impressionist paintings i like

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:29 pm

this is the european art genre that i find most appealing. other than the french masters, i also like american impressionists who paint new england. i am just going to collect pictures of the paintings i like in this thread.

first snowfall by george gardner symons:

impressionist paintings i like George-Gardner-Symons-The-First-Snowfall-Oil-Painting
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

impressionist paintings i like Empty Re: impressionist paintings i like

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:35 pm

south boston pier by maurice prendergrast:

impressionist paintings i like Predergrast-SouthBostonPier-900x1174
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 pm

bathers new england also by maurice prendergast:

impressionist paintings i like Bathers-New-England

hopefully we'll be doing some of this later this summer.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:56 pm

lighthouse at st.malo by maurice prendergast:

impressionist paintings i like Lighthouse-at-st-malo
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Max, I also love contemporary impressionist art. I love visiting Chicago Art Institute and attending art exhibits there. Here are a couple of paintings I like by Robin Cheers and Kim Roberti.

impressionist paintings i like Prep_work_85d244a9851103ce4ae5572f57ce130f

impressionist paintings i like Masterpiece_performance_1a585939b6e94c4ee70427edc13999f3

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:25 pm

very nice. i liked the first one a lot. who is the chef in the painting? charlie trotter? i have been to the art institute a number of times. a long time ago, i had a project with a funding agency in chicago which used to take me there often. i never missed a chance to check out what was going on at the artic. i like chicago a lot. haven't visited in a long time.

a few weeks from now we'll be headed up north. the plan is to spend some time at a really small museum in vermont which has a small collection of impressionist paintings by the three french masters - manet, monet, and degas and a few new england impressionists.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:very nice. i liked the first one a lot. who is the chef in the painting? charlie trotter? i have been to the art institute a number of times. a long time ago, i had a project with a funding agency in chicago which used to take me there often. i never missed a chance to check out what was going on at the artic. i like chicago a lot. haven't visited in a long time.

a few weeks from now we'll be headed up north. the plan is to spend some time at a really small museum in vermont which has a small collection of impressionist paintings by the three french masters - manet, monet, and degas and a few new england impressionists.

Came to hear about Robin Cheers from my brother who is Austin. She is an upcoming artist with a small shop. Her paintings are nice and reasonably priced. New England actually has a huge impressionist impact due to the surf, fall colors and historic landscape. Some of the picutures you posted are lovely. New Orleans is a great place to visit where they even have art exhibits on streets with profound French influence on contemporary impressionist works. You might want to check out some of the websites from that city.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:10 pm

I like this one is by Fred Thomaselli.

impressionist paintings i like Leonid+Afremov+%5B%D0%9B%D0%B5%D0%BE%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B4+%D0%90%D1%84%D1%80%D0%B5%D0%BC%D0%BE%D0%B2%5D+-+Lovers+-+Tutt'Art@

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:42 pm

we love marthas vineyard. this is not an impressionist painting. it's post-impressionist or realism or something, but by a contemporary artist. amazing depiction of late morning at martha's vineyard by a local artiste by the name john holladay. i love the lights and shadows.

impressionist paintings i like Louisa_gould_john_holladay
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:00 pm

head of dog by monet:

impressionist paintings i like Head-of-the-dog
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:00 am

by hilda spain who paints dogs:

impressionist paintings i like 557502_481219435239091_1234949723_n
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:04 am

same artist:

impressionist paintings i like When-Morning-Comes-24x30-website-size
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:27 am

This picture above reminds me of the blue dog that George Rodrigue is famous for. His one painting alone went for over a million dollars in last year's auction. Let me see if I can find one or two of his paintings.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 pm

rain by gustave caillebotte:

impressionist paintings i like 436px-G._Caillebotte_-_L%27Yerres%2C_pluie
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:08 pm

I like the painting above ... has a peaceful fresh effect. Here are a couple:

Jeremy Barlow:
impressionist paintings i like Jeremy-Barlow-9666-Aix-en-Provence-II
Edward Cucuel
impressionist paintings i like EVENING+BY+THE+LAKE

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:we love marthas vineyard. this is not an impressionist painting. it's post-impressionist or realism or something, but by a contemporary artist. amazing depiction of late morning at martha's vineyard by a local artiste by the name john holladay. i love the lights and shadows.

impressionist paintings i like Louisa_gould_john_holladay

goodcitizn wrote:Jeremy Barlow:
simply, simply stunning. never appreciated the visual arts but now, at this late age, i do!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:29 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is the european art genre that i find most appealing. other than the french masters, i also like american impressionists who paint new england. i am just going to collect pictures of the paintings i like in this thread.

impressionist paintings i like George-Gardner-Symons-The-First-Snowfall-Oil-Painting
i know this one is is your favourite but to me it seems full of mughal miniature. sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:rain by gustave caillebotte:

>>>This one is beautiful- the ripples in the water, the reflections of the trees, the partial sunlight. It comes together harmoniously. More so than photographs, paintings are impressive due the sheer effort the painter has to put in to capture the details.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:17 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is the european art genre that i find most appealing. other than the french masters, i also like american impressionists who paint new england. i am just going to collect pictures of the paintings i like in this thread.

i know this one is is your favourite but to me it seems full of mughal miniature. sorry.

there's a creek that runs behind my house. the first snowfall sometimes looks just like this. of course i don't have the hill. but this happens sometimes when snow comes early and the landscape is still bathed in a riot of fall colors. this is why despite the inconvenience of the snow, i know i'll miss it if i leave this place.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:19 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>This one is beautiful- the ripples in the water, the reflections of the trees, the partial sunlight. It comes together harmoniously.  More so than photographs, paintings are impressive due the sheer effort the painter has to put in to capture the details.

exactly why i found it to be beautiful too. the way he has captured the ripples is especially amazing. it's a frozen moment, but it seems like it's in motion.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:33 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>>This one is beautiful- the ripples in the water, the reflections of the trees, the partial sunlight. It comes together harmoniously.  More so than photographs, paintings are impressive due the sheer effort the painter has to put in to capture the details.

exactly why i found it to be beautiful too. the way he has captured the ripples is especially amazing. it's a frozen moment, but it seems like it's in motion.

>>> I like when the painter plays with light- especially the early morning light. With nature, it can make for exquisite visuals. With works of architecture, you have the combination of nature and man-made beauty. I will scour the web for some examples. Two things that come to mind right away: the Fountain of Trevi right after dawn on a summer's day, sunlight from the rising sun behind Angkor Wat. I think some of these painters can do more justice than even an expert photographer in some ways, because there is more emotion imbued. I really, really wished I had these types of talents.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:39 pm

i do not like caillebotte's "rain" at all, no matter how well-known he might be; it looks like an imitation monet.

the impressionist style has been copied relentlessly everywhere including india. the scenes are most often composed of standard elements: trees, streams, fences, and mountains and birds in the distance.

my fav painting here is the blue dog.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:44 pm

Kris wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kris wrote:

>>> I like when the painter plays with light- especially the early morning light. With nature, it can make for exquisite visuals.

yes but you can take it to an extreme and con your audience which cheapens it. thomas kinkade was the master of cheap. let me show you an example:

impressionist paintings i like Thomas-Kinkade-thomas-kinkade-9105824-400-300
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:48 pm

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
the impressionist style has been copied relentlessly everywhere including india. the scenes are most often composed of standard elements: trees, streams, fences, and mountains and birds in the distance.

agreed, but i still love looking at well made impressionist paintings of ocean themes, surf, and lighthouses. caillebotte incidentally couldn't have been an imitation monet. he was a contemporary of monet, in fact a bit older than him and was one of the original artistes who created the genre.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:52 pm

the dog paintings are beautiful. i wish i had the money to shell out to fly the woman over and have her paint my dog. she paints dogs amazingly well:

http://www.whippetart.com/
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

the dog paintings are beautiful. i wish i had the money to shell out to fly the woman over and have her paint my dog. she paints dogs amazingly well:

http://www.whippetart.com/
it's the streaks, patches and scratches in the background and on the dog that i love. i find the composition of colours in the background as interesting or more so than the dog in the foreground. i don't have the vocabulary to describe such a painting.

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:24 pm

impressionist paintings i like 167341_1675263573056_8046292_n

One of my favorites. The light and shades are brought in so well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:25 pm

Kris wrote:

Yeah, this one is amazing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:41 pm

goodcitizn wrote:I like the painting above ... has a peaceful fresh effect. Here are a couple:

Jeremy Barlow:
Edward Cucuel
impressionist paintings i like EVENING+BY+THE+LAKE

>>>Funny, I was about to ask if the first one was Aix-en-Provence and I see the address now and it sure is. The only thing that made me wonder was the trees in the foreground. I don't remember seeing that.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Kris wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:I like the painting above ... has a peaceful fresh effect. Here are a couple:

Jeremy Barlow:
>>>Funny, I was about to ask if the first one was Aix-en-Provence and I see the address now and it sure is. The only thing that made me wonder was the trees in the foreground. I don't remember seeing that.
Aix-En-Provence has so many cafes, shops and restaurants that this is probably one you didn't visit. Here's another impressionist painting from the same general setting.
impressionist paintings i like The-little-singer-michael-jacques

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:29 am

Aix-En-Provence has so many cafes, shops and restaurants that this is probably one you didn't visit.

>>>It is also possible my memory is playing tricks on me. It has been close to 10 years. I loved this place and drove to Cannes after that. One of my friends moved there 20 years ago and apparently went native. I remember going to the American club or liaison office or some such thing trying to track him down, but they weren't of much help. Turns out he lives in a village not far from there. He married a French gal and from what I understand, the SoCal native speaks French without an accent now.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:22 am

my fav painting in this series. beautiful!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:53 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

my fav painting in this series. beautiful!

>>>One other thing, the three dimensional rendering of the outer rings of the ripples. I am amazed at the level of detail.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Yes, it gives a surreal sense of raindrops that captures your imagination!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:21 am

goodcitizn wrote:Yes, it gives a surreal sense of raindrops that captures your imagination!
ah, really?

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:35 am

goodcitizn wrote:Yes, it gives a surreal sense of raindrops that captures your imagination!
ah, really?
Absolutely. I was reminded how occasionally you'll notice big drops of rain, not a drizzle, suddenly fall here and there before a downpour. The ripples seemed to indicate that.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down