Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny

4 posters

Go down

How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny Empty How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:06 pm

These may be extreme...but certainly Desi parents do these to their college going kids (at least).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny Empty Re: How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Saamiyov: I know of a father in our neighborhood who wrote the resume for his son, posted it on various job search links, even followed up over the phone or email the responses from potential employers because the kid made no attempt whatsoever to find employment after finishing school, content being a couch potato freeloading on parents. Yes, he did a find a job for him eventually so he could move out. He was not a helicopter parent. What would you call him?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny Empty Re: How Helicopter parents screw up kids - funny

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:30 pm

goodcitizn wrote:Saamiyov: I know of a father in our neighborhood who wrote the resume for his son, posted it on various job search links, even followed up over the phone or email the responses from potential employers because the kid made no attempt whatsoever to find employment after finishing school, content being a couch potato freeloading on parents. Yes, he did a find a job for him eventually so he could move out. He was not a helicopter parent. What would you call him?

I suspect that he must have made a deal with some employer that he would pay his son through them if they would hire him...and get him out of his home.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Saamiyov: I know of a father in our neighborhood who wrote the resume for his son, posted it on various job search links, even followed up over the phone or email the responses from potential employers because the kid made no attempt whatsoever to find employment after finishing school, content being a couch potato freeloading on parents. Yes, he did a find a job for him eventually so he could move out. He was not a helicopter parent. What would you call him?

I suspect that he must have made a deal with some employer that he would pay his son through them if they would hire him...and get him out of his home.
Perhaps. But was he a good parent or a bad parent in your opinion for doing that?

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:45 pm

goodcitizn wrote:

Perhaps. But was he a good parent or a bad parent in your opinion for doing that?

I think this is a different case.. this is not helicoptering. Look at the definition - it refers to OVERLY monitoring the kids who are actually productive and performing.

It is so true that Kids resume is seen as an extension of parents resume - that too for Desi parents if the kids dont make it (the way they expected or matching their peers) the parents lives are doomed - never mind that they are more successful than other parents in so many other areas.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 pm

Nicole Williams thought she had found the ideal job applicant -- until a phone call came from Mom.

Only thing was it wasn't her mom; it was the potential employee's.

"She wanted to know everything from where [the job candidate] would be sitting to a review of her responsibilities," said Williams, the career expert for LinkedIn, the professional networking site.

"I withdrew the offer," she said.

This wasn't the only time Williams had encountered the parental presence of a young employee.

What a dumb woman!

Btw what happened to all that American individualism?

I bet Ayn Rand must be the role model for that kid. She must have read "Atlas Shrugged" cover to cover. Bunch of hypocrites.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:18 am

Nicole Williams thought she had found the ideal job applicant -- until a phone call came from Mom.

Only thing was it wasn't her mom;
it was the potential employee's.

"She wanted to know everything from where [the job candidate] would be sitting to a review of her responsibilities," said Williams, the career expert for LinkedIn, the professional networking site.

"I withdrew the offer," she said.

This wasn't the only time Williams had encountered the parental presence of a young employee.

>>>>Wouldn't it be a strange twist if Nicole's mom was also calling her to advise her on whom she should hire? hahaha

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:20 am

goodcitizn wrote:

>>>Hmm.. I'd call him a proactive parent Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down