Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

resistance to hindi imposition

+5
Bittu
Kayalvizhi
goodcitizn
garam_kuta
MaxEntropy_Man
9 posters

Go down

resistance to hindi imposition Empty resistance to hindi imposition

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:43 pm

is healthy, alive, and well outside of TN as well.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

resistance to hindi imposition Empty Re: resistance to hindi imposition

Post by garam_kuta Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:48 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:is healthy, alive, and well outside of TN as well.

so atavistic and futile to even delude oneself that the hindi imposition would work by propaganda in this cyber age

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:52 pm

These foolish and misguided youths will realize their folly just like the Tamils of TN have. By the way isn't this protest march against Hindi taking place in Delhi?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:52 pm

Rashmun wrote:These foolish and misguided youths will realize their folly just like the Tamils of TN have. By the way isn't this protest march against Hindi taking place in Delhi?

the only fool here is you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Hindige Jai Ulidorige Kai

kannada speakers could one of you summarize the discussion at hand? i read the summary on youtube, but it may have missed some subtle points. thanks in advance.

The controversy surrounding the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) examination is yet to come to an end even after a recent notification providing weightage to English language was kept in abeyance following protests.

The Kannada Development Authority (KDA) has urged V. Narayanaswamy, Union Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, to ensure the withdrawal of a clause that says that a minimum of 25 candidates should take exams in a certain regional language for the exam to be held in that language.

Otherwise, candidates will have to write the examination either in English or Hindi.

In his letter of March 18, 2013 to Mr. Narayanaswamy, Chairperson of KDA "Mukhyamantri" Chandru has said that there was no clarity on the protection of regional languages, though the government has kept the notification in abeyance.

'Protect our interests'

"The Union Government and the UPSC have to protect the interest of the regional languages. Failure to do so would create discontent among the people and they may protest against the imposition of Hindi and English to pursue the agenda of globalisation and liberalisation," the letter said.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:00 pm

diversity not hindi that unites india (five part program).

part 1 (you can get the rest on youtube).

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:03 pm

sidhu made to look like an idiot by srikkanth for refusing to translate something he said into english.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sidhu made to look like an idiot by srikkanth for refusing to translate something he said into english.

Lalu Yadav translates something he said in hindi into english:

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:03 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:sidhu made to look like an idiot by srikkanth for refusing to translate something he said into english.

Just saw this clip. Srikkanth certainly put Sidhu in his place. Hilarious!

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:15 am

I have to commend Lalu for trying to translate to english. There are Hindi fanatics who say, "If you don't know hindi you are not Indian. So go to hell",

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:44 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:I have to commend Lalu for trying to translate to english.

i concur. he was classier than navjot sidhu.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 am

I was scribbling yesterday and thought of writing a few words in Hindi. Got stuck pretty quickly at the word "dheere". Didn't know how to write the 'dh' letter. Wrote 'gh' and then 'chh' but couldn't get 'dh'. Finally went to Google Translate to look it up.

I think I'm going to learn Spanish now. F all Indian languages; I don't need them.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:09 am

Rashmun wrote:

Lalu Yadav translates something he said in hindi into english:

Laloo ji's inglish ki bahoot achchaa hai..

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:21 pm

clap @ Lalu Yadav and Kris Srikkanth. 

The fact that Lalu Yadav learned English to communicate with Indians outside the BIMARU belt shows where the future lies. Hindi vs. English was the fight of two generations ago. English won at the national level 50 years ago. Now it is winning in the Hindi heartland.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:28 pm

Idéfix wrote:clap @ Lalu Yadav and Kris Srikkanth. 

The fact that Lalu Yadav learned English to communicate with Indians outside the BIMARU belt shows where the future lies. Hindi vs. English was the fight of two generations ago. English won at the national level 50 years ago. Now it is winning in the Hindi heartland.

English is the link language only for the elite in India, and not for the common man. Anyone coming from Tamil Nadu to other parts of India will realise this. Without knowing Hindi he will experience great difficulty (in fact one of the Tamilian judges in the Supreme Court told me very recently that he had made a great mistake in not learning Hindi since he was finding it difficult in Delhi, but now he has started learning Hindi ). Only about five per cent of Indians know English (though I myself have appealed to people to learn English, since much of the knowledge of the world is in English, and I have strongly criticised those who say “Angrezi Hatao (abolish English”). In fact Hindi is already the link language for Indians, even for many South Indians, as I had explained in my article.

http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/think-rationally-about-learning-hindi-and-it-will-make-sense/article3942784.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:38 pm

Here is an interesting article from The New York Times that illustrates my point nicely: Goddess English of Uttar Pradesh

A FORTNIGHT ago, in a poor village in Uttar Pradesh, in northern India, work began on a temple dedicated to Goddess English. Standing on a wooden desk was the idol of English — a bronze figure in robes, wearing a wide-brimmed hat and holding aloft a pen. About 1,000 villagers had gathered for the groundbreaking, most of them Dalits, the untouchables at the bottom of India’s caste system. A social activist promoting the study of English, dressed in a Western suit despite the hot sun and speaking as if he were imparting religious wisdom, said, “Learn A, B, C, D.” The temple is a gesture of defiance from the Dalits to the nation’s elite as well as a message to the Dalit young — English can save you.

This is happening in the Hindi heartland due to market forces, despite taxpayer-funded Hindi promotion around the country.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:00 pm

the changes are occurring faster than rashmun wants them to and it's unnerving him. that's quite understandable for someone who is married to some patriotic notion of a national language. we already have a de facto national language -- it's english.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the changes are occurring faster than rashmun wants them to and it's unnerving him. that's quite understandable for someone who is married to some patriotic notion of a national language. we already have a de facto national language -- it's english.

Is it possible for a language to be the national language of a country when only 5% of the people know that language? Are you really this elitist?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:04 pm

elitism is about preserving and holding on to specialized knowledge. i don't want english to be only the preserve of a select few. i am the opposite of an elitist.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:07 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:elitism is about preserving and holding on to specialized knowledge. i don't want english to be only the preserve of a select few. i am the opposite of an elitist.

I am with you on the need to spread english but my belief is that though english is certainly the language of the future it cannot function as the link language today since only 5% of Indians know the language. Since the majority of Indians know hindi it makes mores sense to consider hindi as the link language amongst Indians as of today.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:09 pm

Rashmun wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:elitism is about preserving and holding on to specialized knowledge. i don't want english to be only the preserve of a select few. i am the opposite of an elitist.

I am with you on the need to spread english but my belief is that though english is certainly the language of the future it cannot function as the link language today since only 5% of Indians know the language. Since the majority of Indians know hindi it makes mores sense to consider hindi as the link language amongst Indians as of today.

why don't you just keep making that argument and by the time anyone listens to you, any bite your argument may have will have already been dulled by the spread of english. see you in another fifteen years?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:12 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

why don't you just keep making that argument and by the time anyone listens to you, any bite your argument may have will have already been dulled by the spread of english. see you in another fifteen years?

i would be very happy if a majority of indians (in India) become proficient in english in 15 years but in my opinion this is a quixotic wish. My guess is that it will take 50-100 years for english to become the link language of India. Up till then we are stuck with hindi as the link language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Why don't we simply revive Sanskrit, if we want an Indian link language?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:34 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Why don't we simply revive Sanskrit, if we want an Indian link language?

DMK/DK types will die on the streets if you try to make Sanskrit a link language. They consider it as a NI/Brahminical language.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:31 pm

Rishi wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:Why don't we simply revive Sanskrit, if we want an Indian link language?

DMK/DK types will die on the streets if you try to make Sanskrit  a link language. They consider it as a NI/Brahminical language.

Additionally sanskrit is a very difficult language to learn. it was never meant to be the language of the common man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down