Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question about Hindi Imposition

+5
confuzzled dude
Vakavaka Pakapaka
MaxEntropy_Man
goodcitizn
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
9 posters

Go down

Question about Hindi Imposition Empty Question about Hindi Imposition

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:34 pm

If the Hindiizing is only for Central babus and for better communication, then wont English be better? After all, these babus passed the TOUGH IAS exam and extensive training. It is Hindi that is a problem language for a majority babus - they may speak but writing in Hindi after decades after high school is not easy.

Why not take a survey of all the babus and use the language they vote for.

This wont happen bcz the real intent is to force hindi down the non-hindian throat.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Question about Hindi Imposition Empty Re: Question about Hindi Imposition

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:47 am

Since urdu is closer to Hindi than any other south indian language, Pakistan should be thrilled to see such imposition because they can easily understand what is being said by the Govt of India than an Indian living in Kanyakumari or Thekkadi.

It's ironic that East Pakistan resisted the imposition of Urdu that, amongst other issues, triggered the formation of Bangladesh. Despite being a muslim country, it is Bengali, not Urdu, that is its national language.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:46 am

i always knew modi has a dictatorial streak incompatible with modern democratic values. the recent hindi imposition brouhaha is but one manifestation. he is less interested in development than with moulding india in some particular linguistic-cultural shape he has in mind.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:50 am

goodcitizn wrote:Since urdu is closer to Hindi than any other south indian language, Pakistan should be thrilled to see such imposition because they can easily understand what is being said by the Govt of India than an Indian living in Kanyakumari or Thekkadi.

It's ironic that East Pakistan resisted the imposition of Urdu that, amongst other issues, triggered the formation of Bangladesh. Despite being a muslim country, it is Bengali, not Urdu, that is its national language.

It is proof enough that language trumps over religion. While religon can be switched at the show of a sword, one's language cannot be changed. It depends on hard work, willingness, constant use, and the ability to learn.

Already Hindi is widely learnt in TN by the youth based on pure economics. If NDA just stayed away from such gimmicks, it will automatically become more widespread in 25 years. How come the geniuses of NDA and Modi cabinet dont understand this simple observation?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:03 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
goodcitizn wrote:Since urdu is closer to Hindi than any other south indian language, Pakistan should be thrilled to see such imposition because they can easily understand what is being said by the Govt of India than an Indian living in Kanyakumari or Thekkadi.

It is proof enough that language trumps over religion. While religon can be switched at the show of a sword, one's language cannot be changed. It depends on hard work, willingness, constant use, and the ability to learn.

Already Hindi is widely learnt in TN by the youth based on pure economics. If NDA just stayed away from such gimmicks, it will automatically become more widespread in 25 years. How come the geniuses of NDA and Modi cabinet dont understand this simple observation?

It is not a gimmick but very much a part of the RSS agenda. Little do these idiots realize that they are causing resentment in non Hindi-speaking areas. At least in Tamil Nadu, north indians who hitherto had been living peacefully with the Tamil population will see a negative reaction.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:25 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i always knew modi has a dictatorial streak incompatible with modern democratic values. the recent hindi imposition brouhaha is but one manifestation. he is less interested in development than with moulding india in some particular linguistic-cultural shape he has in mind.

unfortunately there are plenty of idiots in TN like cho ramaswamy who ejaculate copiously and prematurely just because some northindian politician came to chennai and said vaNakkam and a few other tamil words (in an unsahikkable and nArAsamana way i might add) in a public meeting.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:59 am

I thought that sikular fukularists of SuCh are in a coma after May 16th.

I was wrong!

They were just waiting like a crocodile on the sandbanks of rivers waiting for the right opportunity to strike.

BIMARU bhaiyya Rajnath Singh suddenly decided to wake them up!

However, Modi will stop this nonsense.

Wacko Vaico & K'nidhi also came back alive. Rajnath is like our extremely brilliant scholars who pour life into a pile of tiger bones.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:52 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:I thought that sikular fukularists of SuCh are in a coma after May 16th.

I was wrong!

They were just waiting like a crocodile on the sandbanks of rivers waiting for the right opportunity to strike.

BIMARU bhaiyya Rajnath Singh suddenly decided to wake them up!

However, Modi will stop this nonsense.

Wacko Vaico & K'nidhi also came back alive. Rajnath is like our extremely brilliant scholars who pour life into a pile of tiger bones.
That's right sir Jesus came back on to the earth to rescue us poor souls

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

unfortunately there are plenty of idiots in TN like cho ramaswamy who ejaculate copiously and prematurely just because some northindian politician came to chennai and said vaNakkam and a few other tamil words (in an unsahikkable and nArAsamana way i might add) in a public meeting.

Hindi politicians coming to Tamil Nadu and addressing election rallies have learned a little trick. They start their speech by saying "Vanakkam" (means "greetings" in Tamil). Their party volunteers and supporters in the crowd would immediately applaud loudly as if they have done something great for Tamil, Tamil Nadu and the Tamil people! The speaker would pause for the applause to fade out and then continue the speech in English (we have nothing against them speaking in English or their mother tongue, after all they do not know Tamil). Then they go back to New Delhi and continue to fund millions and millions of Rupees to develop Hindi (but, may be, dole out a small fraction for Tamil and other languages if they are in a "generous mood"). From New Delhi they also continue to impose Hindi through radio, television, central government approved schools, central government employment and whatever other means, in total disregard to all the opposition from Tamil people.

This little, hypocritical drama is going on for years, whether it is the late Rajiv Gandhi, or Sonia Gandhi, or Advani, or Vajpayee! I am fed up with it! What about you? (Please read below the UPDATES added in September 2005 and June 2011.)

See the full editorial at
EDITORIAL: Say a Word in Tamil and Listen to the Thunderous Applause from the Crowd (by Inia Pandian),
 http://www.tamiltribune.com/99/08e.html

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:57 pm

Let us not forget our position in this hoop la.

Tamil Nadu's position is "One language formula (English) until all languages listed in the constitution are used as official languages. No status to Hindi above other languages".

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:29 am

Kayalvizhi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Hindi politicians coming to Tamil Nadu and addressing election rallies have learned a little trick. They start their speech by saying "Vanakkam" (means "greetings" in Tamil). Their party volunteers and supporters in the crowd would immediately applaud loudly as if they have done something great for Tamil, Tamil Nadu and the Tamil people! The speaker would pause for the applause to fade out and then continue the speech in English (we have nothing against them speaking in English or their mother tongue, after all they do not know Tamil). Then they go back to New Delhi and continue to fund millions and millions of Rupees to develop Hindi (but, may be, dole out a small fraction for Tamil and other languages if they are in a "generous mood"). From New Delhi they also continue to impose Hindi through radio, television, central government approved schools, central government employment and whatever other means, in total disregard to all the opposition from Tamil people.

This little, hypocritical drama is going on for years, whether it is the late Rajiv Gandhi, or Sonia Gandhi, or Advani, or Vajpayee! I am fed up with it! What about you? (Please read below the UPDATES added in September 2005 and June 2011.)

See the full editorial at
EDITORIAL: Say a Word in Tamil and Listen to the Thunderous Applause from the Crowd (by Inia Pandian),
 http://www.tamiltribune.com/99/08e.html

Are you teaching Ammaachi how to write in "proper" English?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:36 am

எல்லாம் ஒன்னு கூடிட்டாய்ங்க! இது போதும்!  நன்றி!

No matter who came with this brilliant idea to "go there" so soon..they have united us..thank you!

It has been fun.. am thoroughly enjoying the humor..and revisiting-being reminded of great civilizational history..with a certain sense of pride and amusement! 

“It is claimed that Hindi should be the common language because it is spoken by the majority. Why should we then claim the tiger as our national animal instead of the rat which is so much more numerous? Or the peacock as our national bird when the crow is ubiquitous?” 
~Arignar Anna
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:54 am

LOL @ maria's recollection of arignar aNNA's thoughts on hindi imposition.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:20 am

Maria S wrote:எல்லாம் ஒன்னு கூடிட்டாய்ங்க! இது போதும்!  நன்றி!

No matter who came with this brilliant idea to "go there" so soon..they have united us..thank you!

It has been fun.. am thoroughly enjoying the humor..and revisiting-being reminded of great civilizational history..with a certain sense of pride and amusement! 

“It is claimed that Hindi should be the common language because it is spoken by the majority. Why should we then claim the tiger as our national animal instead of the rat which is so much more numerous? Or the peacock as our national bird when the crow is ubiquitous?” 
~Arignar Anna
who is arignar Anna?
Whether one accepts hindi immposition propaganda or not but this is a very logical refutation of hindi majority argument.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:22 am

truthbetold wrote:
who is arignar Anna?

Annadurai.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:32 am

Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
who is arignar Anna?

Annadurai.
was Anna a scriptwriter like mk?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:38 am

Arignar means "An intelligent-wise man"..

Arignar C.M. Annadurai..has those qualities..he was also "academically"- formally educated..a great orator..fluent in Tamil and English..a scholar and leader (founder of the DMK and the "Anna" in ADMK).
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:40 am

truthbetold wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
who is arignar Anna?

Annadurai.
Playwright
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:45 am

To me,  "Kalaignar" Karunanidhi - is a  fantastic poet, writer and scholar.

I admire him for his "artistic" abilities..and as a writer..his passion for Tamil language. 

*I don't admire him as a politician-leader.
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:49 am

Correction: had those qualities. 

Wish he was alive!
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:02 am

truthbetold wrote:
Maria S wrote:எல்லாம் ஒன்னு கூடிட்டாய்ங்க! இது போதும்!  நன்றி!

~Arignar Anna
who is arignar Anna?
Whether one accepts hindi immposition propaganda or not but this is a very logical refutation of hindi majority argument.

Imagine if a Telengan like TBT asked who Anna is what will a harcore Hindian ask about Anna?

If a Tamilan can talk about a Jyoti Basu, a Prakasam, a Sheikh Abdulla, Bal Thackerey, why cant a Telengan or a Hindian know about Perarigner Anna (the only decent guy from THAT clan)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:04 am

truthbetold wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
who is arignar Anna?

Annadurai.

It takes less time to "Google"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:23 am

I was a little surprised by TBT's question too, but, I assumed he is very young  Cool ..does not know-or was not interested in the history-politics of Tamil Nadu!

I have a nice pic of Arignar Anna and my grandfather in my living room now..the pic was taken in Vellore in our home..when he came for a Book club meeting (my grandfather started a book club- discussion group every month, all kinds of writers and scholars used to attend..decades ago, before Oprah came up with the idea and made them popular!)

Interestingly, book clubs are very popular in Chennai now..I attended a very vibrant book club meeting in Jan..there are tamil poetry readings, authors talking about their books..it's a safe and nice way to meet people we know online or real life in a public place-  with no pressure..people bring their families and friends..meet at hotels, bookshops, food courts in malls etc.  

Nice to see how times have changed! My grandfather would have been glad to see the changes:)
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:02 pm

Maria S wrote:To me,  "Kalaignar" Karunanidhi - is a  fantastic poet, writer and scholar.

I admire him for his "artistic" abilities..and as a writer..his passion for Tamil language. 

*I don't admire him as a politician-leader.

I consider Karunanidhi as the greatest Tamil leaders or one of the top three Tamil leaders of my lifetime. Another one in the list is Poet Perunjsiththiranar. It is difficult for me to say but Karunanidhi may be ranked above him. What Perunjsiththiranar did openly, Karunanidhi did secretly and quietly. Perunjsiththiranar had very little chance of achieving his goal in his lifetime (he will eventually) but Karunanidhi could have achieved his goal had cetrtain parameters in the equations were a little different.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down