Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The American Revolution was a flop

+3
MaxEntropy_Man
truthbetold
confuzzled dude
7 posters

Go down

The American Revolution was a flop Empty The American Revolution was a flop

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:42 am

The easiest way of assessing whether the United States would have been better off without its revolution is to look at those English-speaking countries that rejected the American Revolution and retained the monarchy, particularly Canada, which experienced an influx of American refugees after the British defeat. The U.S. performance should also be assessed against the ideals the new country set for itself — namely, advancing life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

The American Revolution was a flop Empty Re: The American Revolution was a flop

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:31 am

Cd,
Using the criteria of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness, give us data to support your contention that Usa has fallen behind Canada, Australia or England.
Last time I checked more immigrants are coming to us from those countries that the other way around. Usa due to its vibrant immigration policy experiences continuous turmoil. Unless you provide substantial supporting evidence, I will assume this statement to be a result of late night extra beer talking.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:47 am

truthbetold wrote:
Using the criteria of life,  liberty and pursuit of happiness, give us data to support your contention that Usa has fallen behind Canada,  Australia or England.

the washingtonpost article he linked does that.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:01 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
Using the criteria of life,  liberty and pursuit of happiness, give us data to support your contention that Usa has fallen behind Canada,  Australia or England.

the washingtonpost article he linked does that.
My kindal fire device does not show any links. I will check the post on my laptop later.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:22 am

It is called baiting. Probably generating a lot of ad revenue for WaPo.
. Uncommon.Sense wrote:
July 4, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I just thinking when I woke up that WaPo would want to throw some red meat out there to the liberals that are disgusted and offended by the 4th of July and all of its associated traditions. I was right. Try not to engage in too much self-imposed suffering today. It is going to be a beautiful day and apple pie tastes pretty good.

WaPo was once dubbed Pravda on the Potomac.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:07 pm

As opinion pieces go, this is a remarkably stupid one. Calling the American Revolution a flop betrays a complete lack of understanding of modern history. The American Revolution brought forth several path-breaking ideas that are now copied around the world: a constitutional democracy, a republic with an elected, term-limited head of state, separation of powers, checks and balances, fundamental rights, and the idea of a nation as a work-in-progress towards perfection. The American Revolution inspired the French Revolution and the spread of liberty and equality in Europe, and it led to the decolonization of Latin America. There are good reasons why America, not Canada or Australia, invented the light bulb, the telephone, the assembly line, the internet, and much else that Canadians benefit from. There are good reasons why most SuCHers who migrated out of India, chose the United States, not Canada or Australia.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:43 pm

Idéfix wrote:As opinion pieces go, this is a remarkably stupid one. Calling the American Revolution a flop betrays a complete lack of understanding of modern history. The American Revolution brought forth several path-breaking ideas that are now copied around the world: a constitutional democracy, a republic with an elected, term-limited head of state, separation of powers, checks and balances, fundamental rights, and the idea of a nation as a work-in-progress towards perfection. The American Revolution inspired the French Revolution and the spread of liberty and equality in Europe, and it led to the decolonization of Latin America. There are good reasons why America, not Canada or Australia, invented the light bulb, the telephone, the assembly line, the internet, and much else that Canadians benefit from. There are good reasons why most SuCHers who migrated out of India, chose the United States, not Canada or Australia.

>>>>I think the article is basically a bait as HA says. The author of course misses the broader perspective of American idealism, vision, can-do spirit, a willingness to experiment etc etc.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:11 pm

truthbetold wrote: Cd,
Last time I checked more immigrants are coming to us from those countries that the other way around. Usa due to its vibrant immigration policy experiences continuous turmoil. Unless you provide substantial supporting evidence,  I will assume this statement to be a result of late night extra beer talking.

Hahaha! Canadian dude wanted to flame Amercia on the 4th; Neocons may suggest that a liberal disguising as Canuck wrote this piece Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:15 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote: Cd,
Last time I checked more immigrants are coming to us from those countries that the other way around. Usa due to its vibrant immigration policy experiences continuous turmoil. Unless you provide substantial supporting evidence,  I will assume this statement to be a result of late night extra beer talking.

Hahaha! Canadian dude wanted to flame Amercia on the 4th; Neocons may suggest that a liberal disguising as Canuck wrote this piece Smile

It was certainly published in a Liberal beacon. Recently I heard the term Fiberal. Sounds apt. Even your fellow Liberal called it stupid.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:58 pm

Cd is disappointed his visa application to Pakistan was denied so he picked the second best country to emigrate to. He lives in daily regret but wapo helps him cope

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:09 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:Cd is disappointed his visa application to Pakistan was denied so he picked the second best country to emigrate to. He lives in daily regret but wapo helps him cope

You bet. FYI, I get home delivery of print version everyday Razz BTW, great lateral thinking or is it crtiquel thinking.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:20 pm

Hellsangel wrote:

It was certainly published in a Liberal beacon. Recently I heard the term Fiberal. Sounds apt. Even your fellow Liberal called it stupid.

I've to post something only if I support it!

As you can see from the majority of comments; Americans, unlike you & me, don't get overtly defensive, prefer to do objective analysis.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:31 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Propagandhi711 wrote:Cd is disappointed his visa application to Pakistan was denied so he picked the second best country to emigrate to. He lives in daily regret but wapo helps him cope

You bet. FYI, I get home delivery of print version everyday Razz BTW, great lateral thinking or is it crtiquel thinking.

And this is for you Propa, an excerpt from that op-ed piece, next time when you do visit DC, make it a point to visit the Jefferson memorial Razz

"Last Fourth of July, while I visited sweltering-but-beautiful Washington, I came across an inscription in the Jefferson Memorial in which the third president warned against allowing institutions to calcify: “I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. . . . [W]ith the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times.

Those modern patriots who make a show of reading the U.S. Constitution aloud, as though it was carved in stone, might do well to reread Jefferson’s advice. "

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:38 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

you can see from the majority of comments; Americans, unlike you & me, don't get overtly defensive, prefer to do objective analysis.

CD, *you*, are certainly getting defensive.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

you can see from the majority of comments; Americans, unlike you & me, don't get overtly defensive, prefer to do objective analysis.

CD, *you*, are certainly getting defensive.

LOL I'm known for that trait, unfortunately and fortunately.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down