Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flip-flop-flip-flop of the day

2 posters

Go down

Flip-flop-flip-flop of the day Empty Flip-flop-flip-flop of the day

Post by Idéfix Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Unlike most boring politicians, who at most take one position on an issue and then change their stance to be the opposite of what they fervently advocated earlier, Mitt Romney is a superhero when it comes to taking positions. On the matter of abortion, he was pro-choice, pro-choice without calling himself pro-choice, pro-life while pretending to be pro-choice, pro-life, and now simply pro-Mitt.

What does Mitt Romney really, truly believe? Apart from "I should be president and pretend to believe whatever I think it takes to be president," that is.

http://bostonglobe.com/opinion/2012/10/10/romney-abortion-muddle/r17rZMdK7AyttwRPGmoUeP/story.html

This week, [Romney] tried to soften his stance on abortion, telling the editorial board of the Des Moines Register, “There’s no legislation with regards to abortion that I’m familiar with that would become part of my agenda.”

Writing for The National Review on June 18, 2011, under the headline “My Pro-Life Pledge,” Romney called for the reversal of Roe v. Wade, calling it “a misguided ruling that was a result of a small group of activist federal judges legislating from the bench.” He also said he would “advocate for and support” legislation “to protect unborn children who are capable of feeling pain from abortion.”

Romney’s campaign quickly clarified the comments the candidate made to the Des Moines newspaper, stating that “Mitt Romney is proudly pro-life and he will be a pro-life president.” Of course with Romney, being proudly pro-life depends on the meaning of pro-life — or is it the meaning of pro-choice?

During their iconic 1994 showdown in Faneuil Hall, Romney told voters. “I believe abortion should be safe and legal in this country. I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years, that we should sustain and support that law and the right of a woman to make that choice.”

He said he supported an amendment to the Constitution that would legally define personhood beginning at conception. At times, he has also expressed support for constitutional amendments at both the state and federal level that would give constitutional protections to the unborn from the moment of fertilization.

If that’s what he believes, that’s what he believes. But is it really what he believes?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Flip-flop-flip-flop of the day Empty Re: Flip-flop-flip-flop of the day

Post by Obnoxious Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:37 pm

He wants to be the president. He believes in whatever he thinks will get him elected.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down