Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For the fukular secularists amongst us...you know who you are...

Go down

For the fukular secularists amongst us...you know who you are... Empty For the fukular secularists amongst us...you know who you are...

Post by Petrichor Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 am

Richard Luettgen, NJ comments:

The causal factors you describe as Taylor's explanation for a falling away from organized religion while retaining a need for a Hogwarts-like connection to the ethereal strike me as applying only to those who read you regularly -- not insignificant, but hardly representative of the wad. Yet, what we've learned is that currents in our social evolution are governed increasingly by the wad, which in turn are increasingly governed by commercial interest and its supporting manipulation.

In 1500 CE, life was stark and tenuous. That strikes me as manifestly sufficient reason for masses of people to tolerate voluntary herding into atomic religious groups that defined community, membership in which was the primary compensation for inadequate food, dreary and arduous labor, powerless lives and early death; and it also promised a better world, sometimes even in the company of complacent virgins.

As we've developed economically, life has become, for large numbers, quite different: they eat better, live longer, work less hard, and have many more distractions to consume time. Small surprise that they'd be less dependent on a formal shaman and framework to define community: they can choose from among numerous communities. Yet, we still die, eventually, so some ethereal thread mitigating that reality is still sought; but it needn't necessarily be based on images of cross and nails.

And that's as much of a response to a book report that I can manage in 1500 characters (including spaces).

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/09/opinion/brooks-the-secular-society.html?hp

Petrichor

Back to top Go down