Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought

+4
Merlot Daruwala
Seva Lamberdar
indophile
Kayalvizhi
8 posters

Go down

Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought Empty Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought

Post by Kayalvizhi Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:48 am

http://www.tamiltribune.com/08/1201.html

OUTLINE
1. Introduction
2. Learning Options Before a Student (Hindi is not the Only Option)
3. Even if He Learns Hindi He Still is Disadvantaged in Indian Government Jobs
4. Your Son is a Tamil Whatever Language He Learns, and He Shall Not Disrespect Tamil
5. Concluding Remarks

A very good article, Cooments are welcome

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought Empty Re: Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:09 pm

kayalvizhi wrote:Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought
yes he should if the teacher has a phd. in hindi. put the koshen (witty like kombolote and ensoying) to poll for best results.

Back to top Go down

Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought Empty Re: Should my son learn Hindi? Opinions sought

Post by indophile Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:54 pm

Yes, if you know two languages, you are equal to two persons.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:http://www.tamiltribune.com/08/1201.html

OUTLINE
1. Introduction
2. Learning Options Before a Student (Hindi is not the Only Option)
3. Even if He Learns Hindi He Still is Disadvantaged in Indian Government Jobs
4. Your Son is a Tamil Whatever Language He Learns, and He Shall Not Disrespect Tamil
5. Concluding Remarks

A very good article, Cooments are welcome

With the knowledge of Hindi, it will be possible for him to enjoy (even sing perhaps) beautiful songs like the following,

Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Shocked sevaji can you translate this song into hindi for our pleasure? i tried understanding it once in hindi but failed. thanks in advance!

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:26 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Shocked sevaji can you translate this song into hindi for our pleasure? i tried understanding it once in hindi but failed. thanks in advance!

HK, no need for that ... there is English translation (subtitles) included in this (utube video) for people like you (from Bihar etc.).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
HK, no need for that ... there is English translation (subtitles) included in this (utube video) for people like you (from Bihar etc.).
how horribly rude can that be? i asked for a translation to hindi (not english) because you advertized learning hindi as the visa to appreciate this song. instead of letting me appreciate this song in hindi, you are,

1) claiming i am from bihar
2) claiming that because i know english, a hindi translation is not necessary. (why do you NOT advertize then that we should learn english instead).
3) why are you shy? you have hesitated revealing your caste despite my multiple queries in old ch (in caste related threads started by you).

are you a komobolete idiot? don't respond. we won't take you seriously henceforth.

edit. an "LOL" would be a reply befitting you. do it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:50 pm

LOL, I miss claiming, 'biharis are humans too'. I used to get fake-offended whenever ppl thought i was from bihar and insulted me coz of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:LOL, I miss claiming, 'biharis are humans too'. I used to get fake-offended whenever ppl thought i was from bihar and insulted me coz of that.
thanks. as known to all, i am bihari and proud to be one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:26 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i am bihari and  proud to be one.
i could be rom Jharkhand, UP, MP, Chattisgarh or Bengal. it really makes no difference. sevaj is pahari. it makes a difference. but "bihar" has a negative connotation and we all know this. sevaji could be slant eyed for all we know (not that there is anything wrong with it) and he is welcome to prove me wrong -- not that it would change my opinion of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:17 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
how horribly rude can that be? i asked for a translation to hindi (not english) because you advertized learning hindi as the visa to appreciate this song. instead of letting me appreciate this song in hindi, you are,

2) claiming that because i know english, a hindi translation is not necessary. (why do you NOT advertize then that we should learn english instead).
3) why are you shy? you have hesitated revealing your caste despite my multiple queries in old ch (in caste related threads started by you).

are you a komobolete idiot? don't respond. we won't take you seriously henceforth.

HK, I don't know what your agenda is?
I think you are just trying to impress Kayal Vizhi by asking for the  translation of this song, like you don't know Hindi (in spite of being from Bihar and this song in Hindi) just like she doesn't know Hindi (she happens to be from TN).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:21 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:i am bihari and  proud to be one.
i could be rom Jharkhand, UP, MP, Chattisgarh or Bengal. it really makes no difference. sevaj is pahari. it makes a difference. but "bihar" has a negative connotation and we all know this. sevaji could be slant eyed for all we know (not that there is anything wrong with it) and he is welcome to prove me wrong -- not that it would change my opinion of him.

Bihar has no negative connotation with me. It never did. My criticism and negative comments related to Bihar are limited 
only to a few very crooked and inefficient Bihari politicians.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:42 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:LOL, I miss claiming, 'biharis are humans too'. I used to get fake-offended whenever ppl thought i was from bihar and insulted me coz of that.

the way things have been going downhill in Bihar during past several decades due to bad politicians, it is easy to forget that it is the famous Pataliputra region of long ago and even recently it produced great leaders like Dr. Rajendra Prasad (first Pres. of India).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:23 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

HK, I don't know what your agenda is?
I think you are just trying to impress Kayal Vizhi by asking for the  translation of this song, like you don't know Hindi (in spite of being from Bihar and this song in Hindi) just like she doesn't know Hindi (she happens to be from TN).
dear kombolete idiot,

i asked you a simple question and instead of giving me a simple reply, you went all cryptic. you are a cultural jingoist obsessed with caste among other things. thus, on first impression, it would be natural for me to assume that your reference to me as being from bihar was derogatory. it is no different from the way uppili and sandilya refer to bihar to put the state and its people down. however, i accept your clarification that you were not being derogatory. therefore i withdraw my claim that you are probably slant eyed (not that there is anything wrong with it).

being a hindi speaker, there are many words in the song that i do not understand. thus i asked you for a translation. and what did i get in return? spaghetti! here are a few words:

aftaab
mai ke pyale
saaz
tabassum
sajde
kaikasha
shabab

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:21 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
being a hindi speaker, there are many words in the song that i do not understand. thus i asked you for a translation. and what did i get in return? spaghetti! here are a few words:

aftaab
mai ke pyale
saaz
tabassum
sajde
kaikasha
shabab

Your demand to translate this entire song in Hindi (?) was plain foolish HK.

Just because you don't know a few words in a Hindi song, 7 in total according to your list above and probably these words might or might not have foreign origins even though they are frequently used by many Hindi speakers, asking someone to translate the entire song in Hindi makes no sense.

If you were not sure of a few words, you should have asked the meaning of only those words and not for the Hindi translation (?) of the entire song.

In any case, as I indicated earlier this song has English subtitles which makes it possible to easily figure out the meaning of these words.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:26 am

Yes

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:48 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Your demand to translate this entire song in Hindi (?) was plain foolish HK.

Just because you don't know a few words in a Hindi song, 7 in total according to your list above and probably these words might or might not have foreign origins even though they are frequently used by many Hindi speakers, asking someone to translate the entire song in Hindi makes no sense.

If you were not sure of a few words, you should have asked the meaning of only those words and not for the Hindi translation (?) of the entire song.

In any case, as I indicated earlier this song has English subtitles which makes it possible to easily figure out the meaning of these words.
oh shut the fuck up romeo. someone was talking about the efficacy of learning hindi and romeo you posts a song which is mostly in urdu to what-did-he-say-now "With the knowledge of Hindi, it will be possible for him to enjoy (even sing perhaps) beautiful songs like the following." abe kharbooje ke beej, koi premchand ki novel ka naam hi suggest kar dete? your response to KV was a NON SEQUITUR.

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:53 am

Hoozay, why exactly are you against KV's son enjoying (or even singing) beautiful Hindustani songs?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:00 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Hoozay, why exactly are you against KV's son enjoying (or even singing) beautiful Hindustani songs?
i do not mind KV's son singing (and even enjoying) hindusthani songs while dancing in moghal harems. but please do not try passing these songs as hindi songs esp. when the language hindi is being discussed. you can say i have a hindi chip on my shoulder. *harrumph*

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am

most of these b'wood lyrics make no sense to an average hindi speaker such as me. i have been speaking hindi for years but fail to understand words such as chilman, sargoshiya, tabassum, sajda, qaaynaat, qayamat, rutba, mustafa, fiza and dozens of others.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:17 am

Shaant gadadhari bheem, Shaant!

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:48 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:Hoozay, why exactly are you against KV's son enjoying (or even singing) beautiful Hindustani songs?
i do not mind KV's son singing (and even enjoying) hindusthani songs while dancing in moghal harems. but please do not try passing these songs as hindi songs esp. when the language hindi is being discussed. you can say i have a hindi chip on my shoulder. *harrumph*

Of course, you do have a Hindi chip on your shoulder ... you probably went to an English school from the start and even had your kids study in English school.
Btw, Urdu basically is Hindi written in the modified Persian script  (known these days as the Urdu script).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:03 am

Captain Bhankas and Huzefa, what is the appropriate hind word for 'zamaanat' (bail application)? what about 'rumaal' (handkerchief)? Or, what about 'rozgaar daftar' (employment office)?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:11 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
 Of course, you do have a Hindi chip on your shoulder ... you probably went to an English school from the start and even had your kids study in English school.
i studied hindi for 11 years in school (class 2 to 12) as a second language. even though i do not like hindi, i respect all languages. i have been watching the youtube songs you have been posting of late. they are from neanderthal times and pure rubbish. you were listening to this song yesterday and had the urge to post it and you posted it in the first thread you found on the top regardless of the context. you then decided to carry on arguing for the heck of it, which has led you to making scary statements like this (which i will not touch even with a barge pole):

Btw, Urdu basically is Hindi written in the modified Persian script  (known these days as the Urdu script).

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:49 am

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:
i studied hindi for 11 years in school (class 2 to 12) as a second language. even though i do not like hindi, i respect all languages. i have been watching the youtube songs you have been posting of late. they are from neanderthal times and pure rubbish. you were listening to this song yesterday and had the urge to post it and you posted it in the first thread you found on the top regardless of the context. you then decided to carry on arguing for the heck of it, which has led you to making scary statements like this (which i will not touch even with a barge pole):

highly presumptuous .... how do you know KV does not find that song appealing and as a good motivation for her son to learn Hindi?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

highly presumptuous ....  how do you know KV does not find that song appealing and as a good motivation for her son to learn Hindi?
a guy, accidentally, cuts his hand while cutting a sandwich in a demonstration.

the audience, shell shocked, collectively gasps.

the guy says -- i wanted to cut my hand actually.

this is the definition of a kombolete idiot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:19 am

Rashmun wrote:Captain Bhankas and Huzefa, what is the appropriate hind word for 'zamaanat' (bail application)? what about 'rumaal' (handkerchief)? Or, what about 'rozgaar daftar' (employment office)?

zamaanat - rihaai? i don't know the other two.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:32 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:Captain Bhankas and Huzefa, what is the appropriate hind word for 'zamaanat' (bail application)? what about 'rumaal' (handkerchief)? Or, what about 'rozgaar daftar' (employment office)?

zamaanat is equivalent to either bail or bail application. In sanskritised hindi the word is pratibhu for bail and pratibhu aavedan patra for bail application. and rozgaar daftar in sanskritised hindi is pravanan kendra. I used to know the correct sanskritised hindi term for 'rumaal' but don't remember it now.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:54 am

Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

zamaanat is equivalent to either bail or bail application. In sanskritised hindi the word is pratibhu for bail and pratibhu aavedan patra for bail application. and rozgaar daftar in sanskritised hindi is pravanan kendra. I used to know the correct sanskritised hindi term for 'rumaal' but don't remember it now.

>>>One thing that is quite intriguing is the retention of Persian words by the British in the legal system. I guess they figured it was better than re-inventing the wheel.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:38 am

Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

i think i have heard "rihaai ki arji" in some news broadcast which i took to mean bail application.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:40 am

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

i think i have heard "rihaai ki arji" in some news broadcast which i took to mean bail application.

You are right in a way.
Broadly speaking, "rihaai" usually is the unconditional release from any restrictive situation, whereas the "bail" generally is limited to the conditional (restricted, temporary) release of a person accused of some officially / legally recognized infraction / offence.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:57 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

You are right in a way.
Broadly speaking, "rihaai" usually is the unconditional release from any restrictive situation, whereas the "bail" generally is limited to the conditional (restricted, temporary) release of a person accused of some officially / legally recognized infraction / offence.

http://www.shabdkosh.com/hi/translate?e=%E0%A4%AA%E0%A5%8D%E0%A4%B0%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BF%E0%A4%AD%E0%A5%82%E0%A4%A4%E0%A4%BF&l=hi

Also:
http://www.shabdkosh.com/translate/%E0%A4%85%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%97%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%9B%E0%A4%BE/%E0%A4%85%E0%A4%82%E0%A4%97%E0%A5%8B%E0%A4%9B%E0%A4%BE-meaning-in-Hindi-English

You're welcome.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:Broadly speaking, "rihaai" usually is the unconditional release from any restrictive situation
lambuji, what is the meaning of "broadly speaking" and "usually" above? does it mean that you are no expert on hindi (or urdu) and are just phekkoing for the heck of it? *this is a serious contextual question without any agenda*

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:09 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

the way things have been going downhill in Bihar during past several decades due to bad politicians, it is easy to forget that it is the famous Pataliputra region of long ago and even recently it produced great leaders like Dr. Rajendra Prasad (first Pres. of India).

Sevaji,

This man Rajendra Prasad whom you admire so much was against reforming the Hindu society. He was dead against the Hindu Marriage act.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Sevaji,

I assume your responses to KV, HK and others are serious.

If a Tamil movie song contains quite a lot of Telugu and Kannada words and I do not know what they mean then I will certainly not call it a Tamil song.

And posting that youtube video and telling KV that his son will enjoy that song if he learns Hindi is at best patronizing.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Rishi wrote:Sevaji,

I assume your responses to KV, HK and others are serious.

If a Tamil movie song contains quite a lot of Telugu and Kannada words and I do not know what they mean then I will certainly not call it a Tamil song.

And posting that youtube video and telling KV that his son will enjoy that song if he learns Hindi is at best patronizing.  

+1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:00 pm

Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

rihaai ki arji translates to 'request for release' (rihaai = release, arji = request) but this is not a legal term. Zamaanat is the correct legal term.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

rihaai ki arji translates to 'request for release' (rihaai = release, arji = request) but this is not a legal term. Zamaanat is the correct legal term.  
and who are you to decide? any links?

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:11 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

and who are you to decide?

Sorry, i should have said zamaanat is the correct legal term as per my understanding.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

hello sir. zamaanat in urdu means guarantee. in legalese in india, "bail," if you are speaking in urdu would translate to "zamaanat pe rihai." so "riihai ki arj" is correct.

further, high courts and up accept petitions only in english. the lower courts accept petitions in english or hindi. the even lower courts accept petitions in english, hindi or the state's language.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:53 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:
Rashmun wrote:
Captain Bhankas wrote:

hello sir. zamaanat in urdu means guarantee. in legalese in india, "bail," if you are speaking in urdu would translate to "zamaanat pe rihai." so "riihai ki arj" is correct.

further, high courts and up accept petitions only in english. the lower courts accept petitions in english or hindi. the even lower courts accept petitions in english, hindi or the state's language.

You seem to be off the mark with respect to your knowledge about court proceedings in the higher courts. Here is an extract from the writings of a former supreme court judge:

After 1947 Persian words which were in common usage were systematically sought to be replaced by Sanskrit words which were not in common use.  For example in a case which I was hearing in the Allahabad High Court an application entitled “Pratibhu aavedan patra” was moved before me.  I asked the learned counsel what is the meaning of this word “pratibhu”.  He said it meant a bail application.  I told him he should have used the words `bail’ or `zamanat’ which all understand instead of the word `pratibhu ’ which no one understands, not even Khariboli speakers. On another occasion when I was on a morning walk I saw a board on which were written the words “Pravanan Kendra.  I could not understand the meaning, and I looked further up where in English it was written `Selection Centre’.  In my opinion the words used in Hindi should have been `Bharti Daftar’ or `Rozgar Daftar’ instead of  “Pravanan Kendra ” which nobody understands.

This policy of hatefully removing Persian words which were in common use in Khariboli and replacing them by Sanskrit words which are not in common use resulted in creating an unnecessarily Sanskritized Hindi which the common man often finds it difficult to understand.  In our Courts of law it is often difficult to understand the Hindi used in Government Notifications.  Also this policy of hatred for Persian words resulted in almost genocide for Urdu.

However, despite all hostile efforts the language which speaks the voice of the heart can never be stamped out as long as people have hearts.  The evidence that Urdu lives in the hearts of Indians even today can be seen from the surprisingly large crowds which `mushairas’ attract, from all sections of society and in all parts of the country, north, west, south and east.  If Urdu is a foreign language it is very surprising that the people of India love it so much.

http://www.kgfindia.com/great-injustice.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Rashmun wrote:

You seem to be off the mark with respect to your knowledge about court proceedings in the higher courts. Here is an extract from the writings of a former supreme court judge:

Katju?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:01 pm

Also consider:

The constitution is clear about which language to use in India's senior courts. In the Supreme Court and High Courts, English is used in all official documents. This makes sense. The language of the law in India is English. At the appellate level, only lawyers, who are mostly competent in English, present to the court. (The trial courts, which hear directly from witnesses and litigants, can use a state’s other official languages.) Lawmakers can allow another language in a High Court, but so far only four High Courts—in the states of Rajasthan, Bihar, Uttar Pradesh, and Madhya Pradesh—have done so, in each case with Hindi.

The unique allowance made for Hindi in some High Courts smarts for the country’s Tamil-speakers, who have long resented Hindi encroachment from the north. On Sunday, the chief minister of Tamil Nadu called upon national lawmakers to allow Tamil to be introduced as an official language in the Madras High Court. She argued that “If we are to take the administration of justice genuinely closer to people, then it is absolutely imperative that the local language is used in the High Court, as is already being done by the state government and legislature."

http://www.economist.com/blogs/johnson/2013/04/indias-high-courts

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Katju?

yes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:05 pm

An oral statement made by the First Bench of the Madras High Court on Monday that it was not opposed to advocates arguing in Tamil prompted lawyers to use Tamil in the principal seat and at the Madurai Bench...

When the matter came up before the other Bench, Mr. Ramasamy argued the case entirely in Tamil but for two English words: ‘prayer' and ‘para' (paragraph). However, Mr. Justice Chockalingam stuck to English. When the lawyer thanked the Bench at the end of the arguments, the judge, in a lighter vein, asked: “What for ‘nandri' (thanks)? You are doing your duty and we are doing our duty.”

P. Rajendran, a government advocate, too began his arguments in Tamil before Justice R. Mala, who was hearing bail and anticipatory bail petitions. However, he switched over to English later.

In Chennai, a lawyer's request to the first Bench of the Madras High Court on Tuesday to speak in Tamil was given a patient hearing by the Judges.

Advocate Ramesh, whose case was listed to be taken up on Tuesday, appealed that his petition be speeded up. He had challenged a State government order, which said that MA degree obtained from an open university would not be considered for appointment to government service.

After the advocate sought permission from the Bench comprising Chief Justice M.Y.Eqbal and Justice D.Murugesan, he presented the facts of the case in Tamil. The second Judge on the Bench translated the advocate's request for the benefit of Justice Eqbal.

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/high-court-lawyers-argue-cases-in-tamil/article481191.ece

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:31 pm

Rishi wrote:
Seva Lamberdar wrote:

Sevaji,

This man Rajendra Prasad whom you admire so much was against reforming the Hindu society. He was dead against the Hindu Marriage act.

Rajendra Prasad would have welcomed the implementation of UCC (one law for everyone, irrespective of religion, race, caste and gender), instead of Govt. merely fiddling with the Hindu Marriage Act while leaving others' laws (e.g. for Muslims, Christians and Parsis etc.) separate and unchanged.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:51 pm

rashmun, you seem to be right.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down