Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did?

4 posters

Go down

Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did? Empty Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did?

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:09 pm

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2013/jul/100713-woman-moves-hc-to-tie-knot-with-married-cop-plea-rejected.htm

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did? Empty Re: Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did?

Post by indophile Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:46 pm

sar dein magar saar nadein (I will give head but not faith)

indophile

Back to top Go down

Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did? Empty Re: Why don't they become Muslims and get married as Dharmendra and Hema Malini did?

Post by Rishi Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:23 pm

Now I am wondering about the title for this thread.

I think it should be "Why don't they become Muslims and get married like what Dharmendra and Hema Malini did?"

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:35 pm

indophile wrote:sar dein magar saar nadein (I will give head but not faith)

That doesn't sound quite right.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kayalvizhi Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Is she not a BJP MP(upperhouse)?

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:17 am

Hellsangel wrote:

Literal translations can mean weird things.
The above quote is attributed to a sikh guru.
During Aurangzeb's time when people were being forcibly converted to muslim religion in Kashmir, the Kashmiri pundits requested this guru to save them. He asked the mullahs to try converting him first and then everybody would convert. They worked on him for days without success and then he was killed. The words above actually mean -- "I will sacrifice my life but not sacrifice my faith and convert."

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:26 pm

indophile wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Literal translations can mean weird things.
The above quote is attributed to a sikh guru.
During Aurangzeb's time when people were being forcibly converted to muslim religion in Kashmir, the Kashmiri pundits requested this guru to save them. He asked the mullahs to try converting him first and then everybody would convert. They worked on him for days without success and then he was killed. The words above actually mean -- "I will sacrifice my life but not sacrifice my faith and convert."

You said "Literal translations can mean weird things."

One example is that of the famous 'saint' Matha Amithananda Mayi from Kerala. She blabbers something in Malayalam. Her translators are Malayalees living in India. Finally, what we read does not make any sense.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:40 pm

Literal translations in subtitles for some old movies can really crack you up. One really weird one was a song in which the hero's line -

"milan ki ritu aayi" was translated as - the mating season has come.Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down