Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which option would you recommend?

+7
Propagandhi711
Bittu
confuzzled dude
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Impedimenta
Captain Bhankas
Merlot Daruwala
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Which option would you recommend? Empty Which option would you recommend?

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 am

Volkswagen Vento Comfortline, with 3 yrs insurance free, 3rd year extended warranty free but with 11.1% finance over 5 years?

Skoda Rapid Leisure, loaded with a ton of accessories with 9.5% finance over 5 years?

Skoda Rapid Leisure, loaded with a ton of accessories; full down payment, without any discount?

Skoda Rapid Active Plus + specific accessories, with or without finance of 9.5% over 5 yrs?

PS: I don't need the finance, but the Volkswagen deal is only with finance.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Which option would you recommend? Empty Re: Which option would you recommend?

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:48 am

i say, option 1 because i think vento > rapid. you end up paying interest to the bank, free insurance notwithstanding, when you don't need any financing but i think you will own the better of the two.

is city, verna or others not an option?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:57 am

Thanks Capt'n. I've been driving a City last five years. Absolutely fantastic vehicle, but I'm just bored. Verna is beautiful but needlessly premium-priced (IMO). Etios has `cheap' written all over, Nissan and Renault have very handsome cars but the dealer network and service infrastructure is suspect. And oh, I don't like the SX4 form. What else is there in that segment?
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:13 am

only linea and manza which are not as popular as others. agree about etios' cheapness and service network of nissan. given that you don't want to drive a City again, and you aren't happy with Verna's pricing, you don't have much of a choice. i am put off by the looks of Rapid but i don't know how it drives. have you test driven these cars?
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:36 am

No idea about cars but who doesn't want a full down payment if the customer wants that option? When did the world order change? What will they say next, 'sir/madam, you cannot pay in cash or banker's check. It gotta be a credit card'?

Anyway, if you like that skoda something go for it no-finance.

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:01 am

i don't know how the etios and Renault look like or drive, but verna is beautiful. drives very well and is extremely comfortable. BTW, why are you dissing your city? we now own a city back home because that was highly recommended. if you are bored, just buy a better model in a different color. no?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:39 am

Impedimenta wrote:i don't know how the etios and Renault look like or drive, but verna is beautiful. drives very well and is extremely comfortable. BTW, why are you dissing your city? we now own a city back home because that was highly recommended. if you are bored, just buy a better model in a different color. no?

He is done with his city and his project.

he wants to go onto different one with his next project.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Volkswagen Vento Comfortline, with 3 yrs insurance free, 3rd year extended warranty free but with 11.1% finance over 5 years?

Skoda Rapid Leisure, loaded with a ton of accessories with 9.5% finance over 5 years?

Skoda Rapid Leisure, loaded with a ton of accessories; full down payment, without any discount?

Skoda Rapid Active Plus + specific accessories, with or without finance of 9.5% over 5 yrs?

Skoda (not Rapid) cars have been on the Indian roads for longer than VW, right? In the US you don't find that many older (> 5 years) models of VW/Audi running on the streets compared to Japanese,American cars or compared to the cars made by fellow European manufacturers Bimmers & Mercs, wonder if they are shipped down the border to South America or something. If you're planning to keep it only for 4 or 5 years it doesn't matter much.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:30 am

Impedimenta wrote:i don't know how the etios and Renault look like or drive, but verna is beautiful. drives very well and is extremely comfortable. BTW, why are you dissing your city? we now own a city back home because that was highly recommended. if you are bored, just buy a better model in a different color. no?

I'm not dissing the City. I love my car. But 5 years is a bit too much - I now need a change and a different color won't cut it. But I took a second look at the Verna. I always admired the car, but for some reason, I kept thinking it's priced at the top end of that segment, so I never even bothered to call the dealer. Actually, it's not as expensive as I imagined. Let me now talk to them and take a test drive.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:18 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
I'm not dissing the City. I love my car. But 5 years is a bit too much.

Is that because in India, cars start looking like shit in 5 yrs? Is it because you like to change cars every few years? A bit of both?

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:29 am

Bittu wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Is that because in India, cars start looking like shit in 5 yrs? Is it because you like to change cars every few years? A bit of both?
i change my car every 5 years (usually earlier) because the auto-finance term gets over or nears completion. i feel it is the best time to get a resale value of the car that pretty much covers the down payment of the next car (sometimes i profit). i own 3 personal cars, 7 business cars/suvs plus trucks and trailers *bragging*. i apply this policy uniformly across board (except for trucks and trailers). business cars rachet up kms run very fast -- personal cars don't. stupid idea?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:39 am

Folks who run a business have a tax incentive to finance cars. They can also deduct depreciation from their income and since depreciation is the most in the first few years years, it makes sense to get rid of the car after 3-4 years.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 am

Bittu wrote:Folks who run a business have a tax incentive to finance cars. They can also deduct depreciation from their income and since depreciation is the most in the first few years years, it makes sense to get rid of the car after 3-4 years.
true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:56 am

I bet I'm the CHer driving the oldest car. 18 yrs. Smile Barring a couple of small cosmetic issues, everything works just fine. I see no need to change the car. It also looks newer than your 5 yr old car in India Very Happy

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:01 am

Bittu wrote:I bet I'm the CHer driving the oldest car. 18 yrs. :)Barring a couple of small cosmetic issues, everything works just fine. I see no need to change the car. It also looks newer than your 5 yr old car in India Very Happy

legend has it that uppili saar has been driving a car that has seen 30 kansas summers and uppili saar hasn't even changed oil.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 am

Uppili's car runs on broken doctor dreams and is old as fuck

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:09 am

Bittu wrote:I bet I'm the CHer driving the oldest car. 18 yrs. :)Barring a couple of small cosmetic issues, everything works just fine. I see no need to change the car. It also looks newer than your 5 yr old car in India Very Happy
Shocked Shocked 18 years ago, exactly 18 years ago, i bought my first car -- an ambassador with an isuzu engine. god knows where it is now -- probably scrapped.

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:10 am

yes. here's the pic.

Which option would you recommend? 1982-1983_Toyota_Corolla_(KE70)_CS_sedan_01
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 am

Hmm...I thought he replaced the hubcaps with dried tortillas...maybe they fell off

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 am

LOL @ dried tortillas. frugal innovation!
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:26 am

Propagandhi711 wrote:Hmm...I thought he replaced the hubcaps with dried tortillas...maybe they fell off
ha ha ha!

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:32 am

18 yrs ago I bought my first car too..it was a Toyota corolla gts, very sporty and good to drive. Sold it in 5 months once it developed transmission fluid leak and bought an Acura integra gs. Loved both cars, while I was lusting for a Porsche 911 or 958 all along

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 am

Bittu wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

The suspension is the first to die in India, owing to potholed streets everrRywhere. Replacing it costs more than the car. Then go the tyres. In six years in the US, and extensive driving, I got precisely two flat tyres. Here in Mumbai, I have a flat tyre every couple of months.

And then the insane, unruly traffic does in the body. I've had a tree fall on my car, a rattletrap taxi knock off my front bumper and a valet bang the car against a wall while reverse parking - so ya, the car looks like shit too.

Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:16 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Bittu wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

The suspension is the first to die in India, owing to potholed streets everrRywhere. Replacing it costs more than the car. Then go the tyres. In six years in the US, and extensive driving, I got precisely two flat tyres. Here in Mumbai, I have a flat tyre every couple of months.

And then the insane, unruly traffic does in the body. I've had a tree fall on my car, a rattletrap taxi knock off my front bumper and a valet bang the car against a wall while reverse parking - so ya, the car looks like shit too.

oh wow! True dat. I've yet to see a car without dents within the first two years of purchase:-) ours has two, one on each side. seriously, test drive the verna. you'll like it. Also, I am not sure why people would buy high end cars in India where you are guaranteed "damage", given how much the parts must cost to fix or replace. Not to mention, the time it takes to order parts and ship them out.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:19 am

oh also, i saw so many "hummer like" vehicles in chennai. it made me think how foolishly lavish people are. simply stupid to stand in front of a narrow street with your big ass monstrosity and keep honking and honking thinking that somehow, the road will become wide? i mean, what?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:35 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Parts of the suspension die here too - shocks, rubber components that connect tie rods, etc. Don't know why replacing these items should cost more than what the car is worth, in India. I replaced the shock absorbers on my car myself in 2010. Was very cheap and took two hours of my time. I hear your pain with flat tires in India but those can be replaced too. You don't need to buy a new car to get new tires but I guess the car gets so beat up all over, it makes sense to replace the whole thing. In 20+ years of owning 4 cars and 4 motorbikes in the US, I've had only one flat tire.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:07 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:Volkswagen Vento Comfortline, with 3 yrs insurance free, 3rd year extended warranty free but with 11.1% finance over 5 years?

Avivek, go with Volkgewagen Vento Comfortline which is a nice car. You are getting free 3 yrs insurance free, 3rd year extended warranty which is why they are asking mandatory finance. Don't know if bargaining fewer years for finance possible. How deep is car purchase bargaining in India anyway.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:08 am

Bittu wrote:

Parts of the suspension die here too - shocks, rubber components that connect tie rods, etc. Don't know why replacing these items should cost more than what the car is worth, in India. I replaced the shock absorbers on my car myself in 2010. Was very cheap and took two hours of my time. I hear your pain with flat tires in India but those can be replaced too. You don't need to buy a new car to get new tires but I guess the car gets so beat up all over, it makes sense to replace the whole thing. In 20+ years of owning 4 cars and 4 motorbikes in the US, I've had only one flat tire.

People who employ cleaners for the cars cant be expected to fix flats (which is a 5-min jijubi job), or change shocks.

I dont keep count of the used cars I have owned and exchanged/changed. But most bought when they are already over 150,000 km (so that our Indian SuCHERS can get an idea), and give it away around 250 to 300,000 km. Yes the current ones have 240,000/152,000/3,500. Yeah the new one I would never touch it as my wife bought it without consulting me or telling me. But, these days i tried to ride the motorcycle mostly, and with my economic conditions getting bad to worse I will soon be downgrading to bicycle and 2-leggers.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:41 am

ha ha! i have seen the pic. you posted in old CH with you proudly sitting on its bonnet (it's a red car, isn't it?). JM copied that pic and i found it in his inbox when i hacked his id. you looked funny! or, going with the trending topic in such, should i say you looked puny!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jebediah Mburuburu Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
these days i tried to ride the motorcycle mostly,...
i see. does thamizh have no tenses?

Jebediah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:28 pm

Bittu wrote:

People who employ cleaners for the cars cant be expected to fix flats (which is a 5-min jijubi job), or change shocks.

I dont keep count of the used cars I have owned and exchanged/changed. But most bought when they are already over 150,000 km (so that our Indian SuCHERS can get an idea), and give it away around 250 to 300,000 km.  Yes the current ones have 240,000/152,000/3,500. Yeah the new one I would never touch it as my wife bought it without consulting me or telling me. But, these days i tried to ride the motorcycle mostly, and with my economic conditions getting bad to worse I will soon be downgrading to bicycle and 2-leggers.

and you have to work 3 [odd] jobs to pay off those luxury cars, what's the minimum wage in Kansas City

Last edited by confuzzled dude on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:32 pm

Jebediah Mburuburu wrote:
these days i tried to ride the motorcycle mostly,...
i see. does thamizh have no tenses?
like need-the-dough let me recycle one of my old puns. don't be badtamizh JM. your ingratiation membership may get cancelled -- be warned.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Full down payment without any discount?! Tell them the other dealer is offering you discount...

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:
ha ha! i have seen the pic. you posted in old CH with you proudly sitting on its bonnet (it's a red car, isn't it?). JM copied that pic and i found it in his inbox when i hacked his id. you looked funny! or, going with the trending topic in such, should i say you looked puny!

LOL, really? what else did you find in his inbox/sent/drafts?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:33 pm

undefined wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

You all should thank me that I liberated you all from that buggy site. Razz

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:54 pm

Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

Wrong. Never posted my pic on CH. The car isn't red or any color close to red.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 pm

Nila wrote:
undefined wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

You all should thank me that I liberated you all from that buggy site. Razz

The one thing i liked about that site was, if you deleted a message from your inbox/sent messages, it would delete it from the other person's sent messages/inbox as well. I used to religiously delete them, and would get laughed at. Then once mine, and once someone else's account got hacked, and afaik, they got no blood on me.... but then sulekha had to go in and fix *this* important feature out of all the bugs that they had.

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:43 pm

So Jeep is entering Indian market; Grand Cherokee & Wrangler will make their debut late this year.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Propagandhi711 wrote:
Huzefa Kapasi wrote:

LOL, really? what else did you find in his inbox/sent/drafts?
was just joking. JM keeps repeating that bittu posted it and bittu keeps denying it. i haven't seen any such pic. i'll tend to go with bittu on this one.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:52 pm

...This one is much better - green, unique, and cost wise.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:55 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

I'm not dissing the City. I love my car. But 5 years is a bit too much - I now need a change and a different color won't cut it. But I took a second look at the Verna. I always admired the car, but for some reason, I kept thinking it's priced at the top end of that segment, so I never even bothered to call the dealer. Actually, it's not as expensive as I imagined. Let me now talk to them and take a test drive.

Finally decided in favor of the Verna. I found it the best looking in the set and it comes packed with all kinds of nifty features as standard - steering-mounted countrols, parking assistance, ABS, airbags, bluetooth etc. I was particularly struck by how the rear-view mirror doubles up as a display for the parking camera when you are in reverse gear. I'd never seen that before.

There's a bit of a pricing premium, but the dealer is throwing in a 55K discount and is also providing the best trade-in value for my old car. With that and the lower cost of maintenance (commonly replaced parts are priced a third or even fourth of the Vento / Rapid parts), I think this will be more economical over its lifetime. Can't wait for my new toy now.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:48 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
There's a bit of a pricing premium, but the dealer is throwing in a 55K discount and is also providing the best trade-in value for my old car. With that and the lower cost of maintenance (commonly replaced parts are priced a third or even fourth of the Vento / Rapid parts), I think this will be more economical over its lifetime. Can't wait for my new toy now.

How long you hope to have it? I assume - going by your post and other desi owners - for not more than 3 to 5 years. why would a car break down in that short period? No major / costly part should go kaput - if it did, then it is not a good car.

I just found out it is a small 1.6 L car - well ok...by indian standards it is a "big" car. It looks like Haioondaai Ellantra.

Shouldn't u wait and go for a Jeep instead - that will be helpful for your training and monthly trip to Tora Bora mountains?...Wink

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:11 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Finally decided in favor of the Verna. I found it the best looking in the set and it comes packed with all kinds of nifty features as standard - steering-mounted countrols, parking assistance, ABS, airbags, bluetooth etc. I was particularly struck by how the rear-view mirror doubles up as a display for the parking camera when you are in reverse gear. I'd never seen that before.

Very Happy congratulations! good choice. Ahem, i helped a bit, ok:-) so some recognition here:-) no?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:33 am

congrats MD on your new toy. Smile please post photos to such with you sitting on its bonnet. uncle JM wants to see you in that pose. but seriously, do post a pic. of your new possession. or, wait, you haven't upgraded your damn phone yet! i've moved on to samsung S4 (from HTC one).

Last edited by Huzefa Kapasi on Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:40 am

I wanted a new toy too so I bought a toaster Sad

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008C9UFDI/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Small Small Peepuls Small Small Talks.

But ya, my toaster > your toaster, unless proven otherwise.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Bittu Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:44 am

Also, the joys of giving away old stuff. My cousin is in college and he called me yesterday just to chat.

Me: So hey do you have a toaster?
Cuz: Nahi bhaiya, I just throw it on the stove and eat "gas bread"
Me: Do you want one?
Cuz: You mean the red toaster you have in your kitchen?!
Me: Yep.
Cuz: Does it work fine or is it broken?
Me: Works perfectly fine, I just bought a new one so I don't need the old one.
Cuz: This is AWESOME, thank you SO MUCH!

WIN.

EDIT: I also give away new stuff to this cuz. When he comes over, he'll be getting two good quality, new-with-tags tees that I could never wear because they are too tight for me. There's not too much joy in that because I tried for two years to get slenderized enough to wear them but it never happened.

Bittu

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:47 am

I am not giving away my toys to anyone.

Congrats MD!! Where the laddu, pedha, mithai

Back to top Go down

Post by goodcitizn Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:15 am

Good toy, Neph. Congrats.

goodcitizn

Back to top Go down

Post by Nila Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Why would anyone want to drive other than the great Ambassador for routine commutes?!

We have 2 Ambassador and 1 maruthi 800 back in desh....well, for almost 20+ years, still great!

Nila

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:05 pm

Nila wrote:Why would anyone want to drive other than the great Ambassador for routine commutes?!

We have 2 Ambassador and 1 maruthi 800 back in desh....well, for almost 20+ years, still great!

i agree...besides, Ambassador is NOW so unique on the road.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next