Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

when CNN does actual journalism

5 posters

Go down

when CNN does actual journalism Empty when CNN does actual journalism

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:35 pm

instead of breaking news, this is what it looks like. so rare for any american news organization. wonder what came over them to do things old style.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/08/us/oldest-cold-case/?hpt=hp_c2
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

when CNN does actual journalism Empty Re: when CNN does actual journalism

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:54 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:instead of breaking news, this is what it looks like. so rare for any american news organization. wonder what came over them to do things old style.

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/2013/08/us/oldest-cold-case/?hpt=hp_c2
Actually I read that and wanted to post it here....but got busy and then forgot. Interesting pics and some description on how kids played.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:58 pm

wow, max. i read this link more than an hour ago and since that time i have done the following:

i've been hypervigilant to the sound of the garbage bag crinkling in the wastebasket, listening to the creak of the wooden boards from the flat above me, the small sound my fan makes as it swivels from one side to the other, I took the trouble to fix the pitter-patter from the tap in the bathroom, i've placed my max-raid bottle next to my desk in anticipation of any roach that may decide to make its appearance tonight, my japa-mala (yes, darling, i have one, a string of rudrakshas) is on my desk, i have even listened to a black-and-white telugu song to soothe me, and finally I have telephoned my mother to say hello. she in turn said, "honey, you must try and meet some nice guy on the internet" at which my heart lurched once again with fear and I quickly hung up.

in short, max, this so-called "good, old-school journalism" with its vivid, evocative writing and details is now gonna keep me up for the rest of the night. It's going to be one of those "lights-on" nights.

and this is the second time you've done it to me, max. previously it must've been a year ago, you had this frightful video of some Asian woman who disappeared in the west coast, then was found doing some funny moves in the elevator of some hotel and then she was found, bloated and dead, in the water tank. do you remember that time?

max, will you please, please kindly tag these of posts with a warning label? I actually get a strange feeling in my heart which i suspect is some malignant arrhythmia - my drinking tea when I was reading the article may have smtg to do with it. Still, these things trouble me, i can't handle twisted human behavior. I get scared bad and I get scared fast.

Having said that, I think Jeanne may have been the one to place that anonymous phone call when the hunt for Maria first began.

And now, hopefully, no more morbid pre-occupation with this story. I'm going to listen to "vendi vennela jaabili" all night long. ttyl.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ...)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:13 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

Having said that, I think Jeanne may have been the one to place that anonymous phone call when the hunt for Maria first began.

And now, hopefully, no more morbid pre-occupation with this story. I'm going to listen to "vendi vennela jaabili" all night long. ttyl.
exactly my thoughts. yeah very creepy. sorry to have scared you silly.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:09 pm

I don't think its creepy but well documented. I had an engrossing train ride with this story on way to DC yesterday.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by Captain Bhankas Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:50 am

pravalika nanda wrote:wow, max. i read this link more than an hour ago and since that time i have done the following:

i've been hypervigilant to the sound of the garbage bag crinkling in the wastebasket, listening to the creak of the wooden boards from the flat above me, the small sound my fan makes as it swivels from one side to the other, I took the trouble to fix the pitter-patter from the tap in the bathroom, i've placed my max-raid bottle next to my desk in anticipation of any roach that may decide to make its appearance tonight, my japa-mala (yes, darling, i have one, a string of rudrakshas) is on my desk, i have even listened to a black-and-white telugu song to soothe me, and finally I have telephoned my mother to say hello. she in turn said, "honey, you must try and meet some nice guy on the internet" at which my heart lurched once again with fear and I quickly hung up.

in short, max, this so-called "good, old-school journalism" with its vivid, evocative writing and details is now gonna keep me up for the rest of the night. It's going to be one of those "lights-on" nights.

and this is the second time you've done it to me, max. previously it must've been a year ago, you had this frightful video of some Asian woman who disappeared in the west coast, then was found doing some funny moves in the elevator of some hotel and then she was found, bloated and dead, in the water tank. do you remember that time?

max, will you please, please kindly tag these of posts with a warning label? I actually get a strange feeling in my heart which i suspect is some malignant arrhythmia - my drinking tea when I was reading the article may have smtg to do with it. Still, these things trouble me, i can't handle twisted human behavior. I get scared bad and I get scared fast.

yes.
Captain Bhankas
Captain Bhankas

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:03 am

I read it too and wanted to post it here as well, but kept forgetting. Really a good article.

What also boggled my mind was how that man got away with everything later too. So many molestations and misconducts, and nothing happened to him except losing his police job. He should have gotten in the system for any of those but he managed to stay out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:24 am

another cold case cracked recently:

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/2012/07/lapd-lazurus-murder-mystery-killer
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down