Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Smartha, what do you think about this?

3 posters

Go down

Smartha, what do you think about this? Empty Smartha, what do you think about this?

Post by Rishi Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:37 pm

http://books.google.com/books?id=vfK4flsWy6gC&pg=PA19&dq=sloss+krishnamurti+brahmin+intelligence&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KLwbUpivIZKv4AOHkYC4Dg&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=sloss%20krishnamurti%20brahmin%20intelligence&f=false

>>> And this is the guy who came across as someone who transcended caste, race, religion and nationality.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Smartha, what do you think about this? Empty Re: Smartha, what do you think about this?

Post by Petrichor Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:56 pm

"It’s in this self-help section that two weaknesses in Shenk’s argument become evident. The first is the matter of where the extreme drive and discipline that greatness requires are supposed to come from. Shenk tells us about Beethoven writing 60 to 70 drafts of a single phrase of music, and Ted Williams hitting practice pitches until his hands bled. Shenk would be the last to argue that such fierce dedication is “inborn” or “innate” — but if it isn’t, are the rest of us all equally capable of mustering it? We certainly can’t retroactively grant ourselves the kind of intense childhood exposure that Shenk describes for many of his greats, like Mozart and Yo-Yo Ma.

Shenk is also evasive about just what restrictions individual biology places on achievement. He is careful to say that we are not born without limits — it’s just that none of us can know what those limits are “before we’ve applied enormous re­sources and invested vast amounts of time.” He ducks the implication that these limits will, eventually, reveal themselves, and that they will stop most of us well short of Mozart territory. There’s a tension here between Shenk’s extravagant talk of “greatness” and “genius” and the more modest message he delivers: practice can improve your performance, perhaps far more than you imagined.

Still, it doesn’t feel as if Shenk is making false promises, perhaps because he so sincerely follows his own advice. In an oddly touching footnote, he relates his own struggle to achieve. “My attitude toward my own writing is simple: I assume that everything I write is rubbish until I have demonstrated otherwise. I will routinely write and rewrite a sentence, paragraph and/or chapter 20, 30, 40 times — as many times as it takes to feel satisfied.”

Such efforts have resulted in a deeply interesting and important book. David Shenk may not be a genius yet, but give him time."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/21/books/review/Paul-t.html

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Smartha, what do you think about this? Empty Re: Smartha, what do you think about this?

Post by smArtha Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:20 pm

Rishi wrote:http://books.google.com/books?id=vfK4flsWy6gC&pg=PA19&dq=sloss+krishnamurti+brahmin+intelligence&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KLwbUpivIZKv4AOHkYC4Dg&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=sloss%20krishnamurti%20brahmin%20intelligence&f=false

>>> And this is the guy who came across as someone who transcended caste, race, religion and nationality.
There is only one statement from JK about their childhood training quoted there. And I don't read anything racist or elitist from it. Rest all are the beliefs or judgments of the author.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down