Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist

+9
garam_kuta
Petrichor
Obnoxious
indophile
Rishi
pravalika nanda
bw
FluteHolder
MaxEntropy_Man
13 posters

Go down

probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist Empty probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist Empty Re: probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:58 pm

KJY's karaharapriya:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist Empty Re: probably the most underrated carnatic vocalist

Post by FluteHolder Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 pm

The same video/song but with interesting explanations..

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:56 pm

guru and sishyan:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:53 pm

a panthuvarali for the gods. incredible kalpana swaram singing:

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:59 pm

is he underrated?  i grew up listening to a LOT of KJY. my brother used to play a long"vatapi" piece by KJY almost every day.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:05 pm

i think so. nothing else explains this year's sageetha kalanidhi when he is yet to be awarded.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:01 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think so. nothing else explains this year's sageetha kalanidhi when he is yet to be awarded.
is it because he was too immersed in playback singing for movies? i have heard some people criticize his pronunciation.

Last edited by bw on Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:02 pm

Madhu likes this guy but I never have. His voice is overly sonorous and doesn't evoke the bhakthi that MSS's does - his voice is sexy and nothing more.  Although I am not religious or even a believer - I have yet to do my Vinayaka Chavithi pooja and I've already seen the moon - I can appreciate the simple devotion that MSS sings with.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:07 pm

bw wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i think so. nothing else explains this year's sageetha kalanidhi when he is yet to be awarded.
is it because he got too immersed in movies? i have heard some people criticize his pronunciation.
there are lots of factors starting with the inward looking and somewhat incestuous tambrahm establishment that is still very much in control of the academy's affairs. for example i vehemently disagree with this year's choice. i find the woman shrieky and unsahikkable. there is no reason for the award except that she has made a lot of the bhajana samaj mamis very happy over the years. i am sure yesudas's non-traditional background and his playback singing exacerbated things. if pronunciation was a problem, madurai mani iyer and his nephew t.v.s would never have gotten the award. their pronunciation was atrocious compared to yesudas.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:Madhu likes this guy but I never have. His voice is overly sonorous and doesn't evoke the bhakthi that MSS's does - his voice is sexy and nothing more.  Although I am not religious or even a believer - I have yet to do my Vinayaka Chavithi pooja and I've already seen the moon - I can appreciate the simple devotion that MSS sings with.
MSS is MSS. why invoke her in this conversation? he is technically pretty solid and i find his music more moving than some of the younger pipsqueaks who think they are the cat's whiskers.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:17 pm

found the vathapi rendition. wow, takes me back to a completely different phase of my life!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
pravalika nanda wrote:Madhu likes this guy but I never have. His voice is overly sonorous and doesn't evoke the bhakthi that MSS's does - his voice is sexy and nothing more.  Although I am not religious or even a believer - I have yet to do my Vinayaka Chavithi pooja and I've already seen the moon - I can appreciate the simple devotion that MSS sings with.
MSS is MSS. why invoke her in this conversation? he is technically pretty solid and i find his music more moving than some of the younger pipsqueaks who think they are the cat's whiskers.
well okay, he is much much better than sudha r. even to my untrained ears.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
I never heard of someone being invoked in a conversation.

Did you mean to ask "why bring her up in this conversation?"

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:47 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i am quite sure my usage was correct.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i am quite sure my usage was correct.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/invoke?s=t

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:57 pm

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/invoke

He invoked the memory of his predecessor.
She invoked history to prove her point.
He invoked his Fifth Amendment privileges.
The suspect invoked his right to an attorney.
invoke the authority of the court
Nietzsche is so complex that he can be invoked in support of many outlooks, some of them brutal or nihilistic. —Thomas Nagel, New Republic, 14 Jan. 2002
p.nanda invoked MSS to make the point that yesudas wasn't as great of a musician as i was making him out to be.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:56 pm

What aspects of a musician do they consider when awarding the Sangitakalaanidhi title? Other than the depth of musical knowledge and accomplishment, is training notable sishyas (students) to high accomplishment also a parameter?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:00 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:
is it because he got too immersed in movies? i have heard some people criticize his pronunciation.
there are lots of factors starting with the inward looking and somewhat incestuous tambrahm establishment that is still very much in control of the academy's affairs. for example i vehemently disagree with this year's choice. i find the woman shrieky and unsahikkable. there is no reason for the award except that she has made a lot of the bhajana samaj mamis very happy over the years.  i am sure yesudas's non-traditional background and his playback singing exacerbated things. if pronunciation was a problem, madurai mani iyer and his nephew t.v.s would never have gotten the award. their pronunciation was atrocious compared to yesudas.
Sudha Raghunathan's pronunciation is horrendous too! One reason I dont listen to her is her diction.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:08 pm

threadjack: area woman, did you see the grandmaster? recommend?

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Petrichor wrote:threadjack: area woman, did you see the grandmaster? recommend?
Not yet petri. Want to watch it on 35 mm, hence the delay. Those of my friends who watched it loved it.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:27 pm

indophile wrote:What aspects of a musician do they consider when awarding the Sangitakalaanidhi title? Other than the depth of musical knowledge and accomplishment, is training notable sishyas (students) to high accomplishment also a parameter?
essentially it's Semmangudi's legacy..

from http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday-review/music/sangita-kalanidhi-for-sudha-ragunathan/article4963364.ece
Comments
Another controversy in the making. The truth is that this was decided
last year and was a foregone conclusion. Sangita Kalanidhi award has
no value and criteria . It is purely at the whims and fancies of a few
running the show at the MA.. For many years it was T.T.Vasu with
Semmangudi deciding the fate of musicians and now it is Murali's turn.
Is someone telling us that there aren't anyone who deserved it more
than Sudha? Yes Sudha does deserve but could have waited till some more
senior vidwans / vidushis' could have been awarded.
If you look at the people who never got Sangita Kalanidhi then you
would know what I mean ( for whatever reasons). The list starts with
the likes of Mali/MDR/Rajarathinam Pillai/ Madurai
Somasundaram/Lalgudi Jayaraman/S.Kalyanraman.

I am reminded of 'at the end of the day, even pygmies cast long shadows'- Chargoff

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:28 pm

max, i can safely say that if this guy did win sageetha kalanidhi this year or any year, you would have been liking someone else more than this guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:54 pm

Vidya Bagchi wrote:max, i can safely say that if this guy did win sageetha kalanidhi this year or any year, you would have been liking someone else more than this guy.
Well, his guru (Chembai Vaidyanadha Bhagavatar) used to sing songs like in a Harikadha. I was not a fan of him. Jesudas, however, is a decent singer (whether he deserves 'sangeetakalanidhi' or not).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:34 pm

Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavatar molded many notable musicians. Are there any noted singers who are Sudha Raghunathan's students? I thought teaching and composing are also considered in bestowing that award. May be not - never heard of any MS composition.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Hey,
don't get your knickers in a twist.
whether he gets this award or not, yesudas is better known than sudha whatever.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:36 pm

MAx, he is amazing with his renditions of certain raagams. this is one

http://www.mediafire.com/play/h4hvzmvzghn/01++Sri+Vignarajam+Paje+++++K+J+Yesudas.mp3

gambheera naatai? His voice is unique but i like stronger vocals when it comes to CM. like OSA and Sriram. I am also not sure how sound KJY is technically. i have not heard him extensively to make any kind of assumption.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:44 pm

Impedimenta wrote:I am also not sure how sound KJY is technically. i have not heard him extensively to make any kind of assumption.
why don't you start with the panthuvarali i posted upthread? a silken voice is sometimes a detraction, but i'd posit that it is not in KJY's case. it only adds to the enjoyment of his music. i wouldn't say the same of say someone like unnikrishnan.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:47 pm

truthbetold wrote:Hey,
don't get your knickers in a twist.
whether he gets this award or not, yesudas is better known than sudha whatever.
irrelevant. it's almost a given that he is going to be better known because he does movie playback singing. this discussion is about carnatic music and it is my opinion as an informed listener that as a performer and as a technical virtuoso of carnatic music, he far exceeds sudha raghunathan.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:55 pm

Area Woman wrote:
Sudha Raghunathan's pronunciation is horrendous too! One reason I dont listen to her is her diction.
i can tolerate a lot of butchering in music, but i cannot tolerate musical errors.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:57 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:I am also not sure how sound KJY is technically. i have not heard him extensively to make any kind of assumption.
why don't you start with the panthuvarali i posted upthread? a silken voice is sometimes a detraction, but i'd posit that it is not in KJY's case. it only adds to the enjoyment of his music. i wouldn't say the same of say someone like unnikrishnan.
and after you are done with the panthuvarali, check this out and tell me what you think of this. there is something unusual about this piece. let's see if you pick it up.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:21 pm

anyway even if KJY was too unkosher for the establishment and they wanted to move on to the next gen, there are people like vijay siva, bombay jayashree, sanjay sub et al. before we get to sudha.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh my.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:32 pm

Hellsangel wrote:Oh my.
oh my what? did a part of your post get cut off?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 am

Hellsangel wrote:Oh my.
rofl 

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
and after you are done with the panthuvarali, check this out and tell me what you think of this. there is something unusual about this piece. let's see if you pick it up.

can't view this from work. Will try and check it out this evening. I will also post something soon. This is a thamizh compositions by BMK. i found that fascinating.

BTW, please wish me luck:-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down