Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sneaky Eyebrow Lady

4 posters

Go down

Sneaky Eyebrow Lady Empty Sneaky Eyebrow Lady

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:56 pm

So, I get my brows threaded once in a while at this Indian salon which is an hour and a half away from here in a very small city (less than 100k people). I was always charged the same price (five bucks) for months.

Then, I just happened to mention to the eyebrow lady that I hate this threading thing. It's too painful and that she should start waxing brows too. I told here I usually go to a waxing salon in a major city which is three hours away and it's such a pain to drive all the way there. So, she asks me how much the waxing lady charges there, and I naively told her the truth: $15.

The next time, I go back for threading, she says it's $10 to get my brows threaded (this is after the fact). So, I ask her what happened to the $5 she's been charging me for months. She says prices have gone up. This made me skeptical considering the 100% price hike, but I pay the ten bucks anyway and I give her a tip of two dollars (when she charged me five bucks, I tipped her a dollar).

Then, I go back the weekend after and she says it's $15. I was like WHAT!!!! A 50% price hike after a 100% price hike??? So, I tell her that it's inappropriate to charge me $15 after the fact. She should have told me about the price hike before I sat down in her chair. Or at least put her new prices up on a list of services board somewhere in her salon. But there's no service board or price board up anywhere in her salon. So, I stand my ground and she stands her ground, and I finally pay $18 with tip. These are now becoming Washington D.C. prices and I don't even like threading.

Would you ever go back to this woman's salon?

gone

Back to top Go down

Sneaky Eyebrow Lady Empty Re: Sneaky Eyebrow Lady

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:02 pm

It's almost a matter of principle, but she is the only one close by. Do I really want to drive three hours each way? Then again, I prefer waxing.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:08 pm

i have waxed my own eyebrows whenever i felt like saving money and time.

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:17 pm

It's not a question of saving money. I don't care about a few bucks here and there. I'm afraid of ripping my brows out.

It would be more time and money to drive three more hours. It's just annoying to see someone so blatantly greedy.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:19 pm

More than anything else, it's the price discrimination. I bet she doesn't charge anyone else in the area fifteen bucks. Not that spending fifteen bucks is a huge deal.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:22 pm

1.5 hours is still a bit too much for someone like me who thinks twice about going anywhere that's gonna be more than 15 minutes, and that too if it's not too often. It better be for a good reason. I have ordered silliest of stuff online, just coz I knew it would arrive sooner compared to me making up my mind to drive to a store.

Many times I have done stuff at home just coz i was too lazy to get ready, go out, drive, come back, yawn. Instead, just diy.

Waxing your brows is not that hard, trust me. Once you get an understanding of it. I have waxed myself e'where (learned it myself). Even bikini, but not brazilian. Tried that a few years ago and it was too painful, so got scared. Earlier this year, in the zeal for saving money, I bought that kit too, but haven't gotten to it yet. Just don't have any energy left to embark on something so big. Let's see, will try one of these days. To save money, I go to the salon much less often now.

Last edited by Vidya Bagchi on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:27 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:25 pm

I am not going to risk damaging my brows with DIY. Not my area of expertise. When we go to Whole Foods/Trader Joe's, I'm going to have to remember to get my brows waxed. I'm staying away from this brow lady in the future. I don't even like threading.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:26 pm

I can do any waxing except brows on my own. It's that shape thing that I'm not willing to risk ruining.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm

mainstreet wrote:I can do any waxing except brows on my own.  It's that shape thing that I'm not willing to risk ruining.
oh ok. Ya I don't shape mine, just remove anything excess.

Regarding OP, yeah to hell with the greedy lady. Once the trust is gone, no point in continuing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:43 pm

Sneaky Eyebrow Lady <a href=Sneaky Eyebrow Lady Health10" />

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:50 pm

Petrichor wrote:Sneaky Eyebrow Lady <a href=Sneaky Eyebrow Lady Health10" />
what is the price of an ak 47 in the US compared to elsewhere in the world?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:58 pm

To this my husband would say "No one's forcing you to get surgery or replace a hip. You can always Do-It-Yourself."

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:07 pm

The eyebrow lady's price gouging amounts to thievery. Speaking as a legal expert, I can say that there is no difference between her arbitrarily charging you $15 for a $5 service, and her mugging you to get the extra $10. It is also a violation of the equal protection clause of the constitution. You have a right to defend yourself from such unprovoked attacks. What good are guns if you can't use them to defend yourself in a situation like this?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:09 pm

mainstreet wrote:So, I stand my ground and she stands her ground, and I finally pay $18 with tip.
You had the right idea about standing your grand. Stand your ground laws allow you in such situations to use your concealed firearms. I don't understand why you let yourself be taken advantage of in this way; you could have stood your ground better if you used a gun to do it.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:34 pm

mainstreet wrote:To this my husband would say "No one's forcing you to get surgery or replace a hip.  You can always Do-It-Yourself."
Smile And the eyebrow lady? what would she say?

hint. price gouging occurs at different levels.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:40 pm

Heck no! There's no price-gouging in medicine when Medicare, Medicaid, and private insurers are the middlemen doing the reimbursements. The annual reimbursements rates are set in stone, take it or leave it. There's no room for negotiation. You don't get one penny more. Don't like the Medicare and Medicaid rates? Then, don't accept those patients.

Since we are in an underserved area, the vast majority (99%] of DH's patients are on Medicaid (welfare queen who drives a luxury car taking all kinds of medications and with no sex drive plans on getting pregnant yet again) or Medicare (over 65).

Now, hospital stays are different especially for the uninsured. We have nothing to do with that. Talk to the hospital administrators about charging $75 for a box of Kleenex.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:07 am

Also, the U.S. government is broke. It's miraculous that we are even getting reimbursed. A year or two down the road, Congress could decide to slash Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement payments by 20% or even 50%. Who knows? We live in uncertain times. We don't have kids and we don't own a house or have any outstanding debt, so if DH's income is slashed by 20% or 50%, we'll make do with less. We're not worried, but we know many doctors who are.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:17 am

I don't understand. The only reason why you (rather, your DH) live in that dump is because ' the money is good'. All that money comes from Medicare and Medicaid via those welfare queens (who you hate so much that you have become right wing). At the same time you worry that this model may not last more than 1 or 2 years. Then what?

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:24 am

Well, think about this: the Medicaid demographic here is multiplying at an alarming rate. Women becoming grandmothers at 26 or 27. I don't know how long this welfare model is sustainable at this rate. Another 26 or 27 years at most.

If it's just one or two years, we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Right now, DH is determined to make hay while the sun shines. We'll worry when we really need to even though what we see on the horizon is troubling.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:20 am

Saturday reading:

1. http://wallstreetpit.com/5769-the-medical-cartel-why-are-md-salaries-so-high/
For a basic outline of how supply of doctors is restricted by AMA - look for signs of credentialing hanky-panky.

2. http://kff.org/global-indicator/physicians/
For a review of number of doctors per 100K people across the world.

3. http://www.mgma.com/press/default.aspx?id=1374705
Highlight numbers on exactly what we are talking about - median take-home kitty.

4. http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/07/15/how-much-do-doctors-in-other-countries-make/?_r=0
Tying it all together for a fair look at the causative factors - high med school bills, tight control on supply, geographic dispersal of physicians in this land from sea to shining sea.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:25 am

Also, I just thread-jacked to focus on something I wanted to talk about!! Smile

The eyebrow lady could have said...hey, you can d-i-y too, ya know?!
And as you said, there is nothing wrong in making hay while the sun shines - whether it's the gujju ben plucking away at some external dead cells or a guy in scrubs plucking away at internal carcinoma.

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:21 am

Well, guess what? I picked up a tweezer to DIY.

Now, good luck cutting yourself open with a lancet or scalpel, administering your own anesthesia, prescribing your own Vicodin, diagnosing your own bacterial meningitis, replacing your own hip, finding your way around a cath lab, and when you're in a horrific car accident, let the trauma surgery doc know you're really good at DIY, so you'll have no problem doing his job for pennies on the dollar!

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:42 am

Also, I want to add that doctors in Europe, Asia, Africa, and South America have NO debt when they graduate. The residents and fellows who were with DH in training (from Nigeria, Argentina, India, Pakistan, the Netherlands, Canada, and Mexico) had graduated with no debt. Zero, zilch, nada. DH graduated with $300K in student loans and put all of his residency match and fellowship match interview expenses (flight, hotel stay, cab fares, suit) on his credit card and he had $50K in credit card debt when he was done. He had to compete with the best and brightest in the world to get into a hyper-competitive specialty.

Also, all of his cath equipment, he paid for it. No government stepped in and bought it for him with taxpayer money. So, all of this universal healthcare is something that YOU will be paying for with taxpayer money. Now, if you're a person who goes to work everyday and you pay your taxes (and TAX HIKES are coming), then it doesn't affect you. But if you're a deadbeat who avoids work and mooches off government agencies but doesnt keep having a baby every five years, then voila, you get subsidized healthcare now!

Someone pays the taxes to pay for the low cost of healthcare in other countries (via free medical education and outdated government-owned medical facilities).

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:44 am

Oh wait! If you are a law-abiding person who goes to work everyday, it DOES affect you! Your tax bill is going to go up.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 am

mainstreet wrote:Well, guess what?  I picked up a tweezer to DIY.  

Now, good luck cutting yourself open with a lancet or scalpel, administering your own anesthesia, prescribing your own Vicodin, diagnosing your own bacterial meningitis, replacing your own hip, finding your way around a cath lab, and when you're in a horrific car accident, let the trauma surgery doc know you're really good at DIY, so you'll have no problem doing his job for pennies on the dollar!
Good luck to you too. I don't think you are qualified to do any of those things either.
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by Idéfix Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:30 am

mainstreet wrote:Oh wait!  If you are a law-abiding person who goes to work everyday, it DOES affect you!  Your tax bill is going to go up.
So, does it affect people like you?
Idéfix
Idéfix

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:33 am

It'll affect YOU though. DH will get more customers. Not sure who will pay for all this.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:23 pm

not sure how and why this whole medical DIY topic started. sounds stupid.

Back to top Go down

Post by gone Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:38 pm

I know, right? And when I try to make a point that medical training takes years and years of education and practice, unlike hair removal which can be self-taught/DIY in a matter of minutes or hours, someone retarded on this thread says "I don't think you are qualified to do any of those things either." Heck, I'm trying to make a point about 15 years of education and training post-high school.

gone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down