Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store

3 posters

Go down

Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store Empty Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store

Post by Rishi Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Manjay was new to America. A few days after he came to the new world, he walked into the Giant food store. He had never seen anything like that before. Varieties of nicely packaged food items and the place was huge with so many aisles. Then he saw the bakery within this big shop. He had never seen such big cakes and varieties of pastries before in his life. There were something called croissant that caught his attention. Some of them had almonds too. Everything looked great. He was in awe.

The bakery had two people working there. They were both white, an young chap and a grandma. Manjay walked gingerly towards the man and asked him whether he could buy the box of almond croissants. "You want to buy that. OK," the guy picked up the item. And then he took a pen from his pocket and wrote something. The guy figured out Manjay was new to the country. "You have to pay at the front" he told.

Manjay was curious about what the man wrote on the box. He was really surprised. The man had marked the price from what was originally listed. The item was nearing its expiry date. He had marked it down to something like $2.00. Nothing of this sort happens in India. "You are allowed to mark down the price?" Manjay asked the bakery chap. The guy nodded his head affirmatively.

"Then why don't you make it 50 cents?"

It looked like the young man did not like Manjay's request. "We like working here." The grandma started laughing.

At that point Manjay's sense of compassion took over. "These people are also human beings although they may look different. I should not be doing anything to jeopardize their jobs."

"OK. I understand" Manjay told them.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store Empty Re: Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:04 pm

Welcome back, Manjay! Your compassion brings tears to my eyes.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store Empty Re: Manjay's first visit to an American grocery store

Post by bw Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:13 pm

yay! my hero, manjay, is back!

thanks, rishi.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down