Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians?

+7
Rishi
southindian
Hellsangel
confuzzled dude
garam_kuta
Vakavaka Pakapaka
truthbetold
11 posters

Go down

are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians? Empty are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians?

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:43 pm

In our neck of woods we have lot of gujaratis and plenty more tamilians.
gujaratis are mostly engaged in grocery shops and wine shops. Some of their family members work in fast food places and departmental stores. Tamilians are mostly young and are working in it industry.
In the past few months I was drawn into conversations by at least 10 gujaratis in various business places. I encountered many more tamilians but none of us moved past a glance or two.
Once the /ce is broken it is a different story.
My question to such intellectuals is are gujaratis more out going than tamilians? Or employee types are more reserved than business types?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians? Empty Re: are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians?

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Punjabis, Sindhis & Gujratis - enterprising & outgoing.

BIMARUs - prefer to speak in Hindi/Urdu, not very competitive, good bhaiyya behavior, peddle sad stories to get something in return.

Maratis & Gults - go out of their way to antagonize everyone (like what I am doing right now).

Tamils - talk on issues that "matter" (i.e., make sure there is a return on the "investment").

Kannadigas - listen to all points of view and go through a lot of stress when they go home.

Bengalis - think that everyone around them is an idiot; if people have a smirk on their face, Bengalis think that they impressed the morons with their "intellect").

Waiting to be attacked by extremely brilliant Bengalis, Tamils, etc.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians? Empty Re: are gujaratis more freindlier than tamilians?

Post by truthbetold Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:33 pm

Kannadigas _ ...... "go through a lot of stress ....."
is that because they really pay attention other peoples problems?

The Urdu word for your description of tamilians is "matlab ie log".

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:07 pm

Kannadigas - I may be biased, but I find Kannadigas to be easy to get along with.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:09 am

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Kannadigas - I may be biased, but I find Kannadigas to be easy to get along with.
yeah, the most civilized ones, i should think Smile

BTW, what about 'em keralites, saar?

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:11 am

Gk,
kannadiga - agree with vp's assessment - easy to get along.
the word that comes to mind is docile. may be docile and civil go together.
keralites are tamilian squared.
Some of the comments read a little harsh but this is just an observation based opinion.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 am

truthbetold wrote:Gk,
keralites are tamilian  squared.
Some of the comments read a little harsh but this is just an observation based opinion.

yet that state appears to create a lot problems to neighboring states when it comes to river water sharing :)unless your observation is limited to NRIs.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:35 am

confuzzled dude wrote:
keralites are tamilian  squared.

yet that state appears to create a lot problems to neighboring states when it comes to river water sharing :)unless your observation is limited to NRIs.
Ha ha ha. There is a whole Wikipedia article, probably written by some zealous Tami who referred to it as a pogrom:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Anti-Tamil_violence_of_Karnataka
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:51 pm

truthbetold wrote:In our neck of woods we have lot of gujaratis and plenty more tamilians.
gujaratis are mostly engaged in grocery shops and wine shops. Some of their family members work in fast food places and departmental stores. Tamilians are mostly young and are working in it industry.
In the past few months I was drawn into conversations by at least 10 gujaratis in various business places. I encountered many more tamilians but none of us moved past a glance or two.
My question to such intellectuals is are gujaratis more out going than tamilians? Or employee types are more reserved than business types?
Question 1 when Tamil meet a stranger -- Do you speak Tamil?
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:03 pm

southindian wrote:
Question 1 when Tamil meet a stranger -- Do you speak Tamil?
LoL.. they ask that in tamil, right ? Wink 

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:16 pm

as OP OPINES, it is business vs executive across class, caste, religion, province.

that said, nothing to beat marwaris. the two richest indians, globally, mittal and agarwal (vedanta), are marwaris.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Beat marwaris in what?
are they friendly?
Hindi movies show marwaris as khanjoos.
We had a guy in our college who owned a big hotel and later married into khaitan family. he contested for vice president in college elections. He promised to take the entire college for a party at his hotel if he got elected. it is not a joke. he really thought that would get him elected. None of us knew he existed before but he did make an impression.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:07 pm

truthbetold wrote:Beat marwaris in what?
are they friendly?
Hindi movies show marwaris as khanjoos.
We had a guy in our college who owned a big hotel and later married into khaitan family. he contested for vice president in college elections. He promised to take the entire college for a party at his hotel if he got elected. it is not a joke. he really thought that would get him elected. None of us knew he existed before but he did make an impression.
>>> He did what many politicians in India do right from Sonia to Karunanidhi. He was offering freebies. The marwari you were talking about was at least giving away his rightfully earned money. Whereas the Indian politician is giving away 10% of the money he stole.

Now if I had made the statement you made, I would have been called a bigot, racist and casteist.

I have no problem with Marwaris. You have to be a Khanjoo to make and keep the wealth.

Let me ask you a question. Give every beggar in India 1 Rupee. See what happens to your hard earned money.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:46 pm

I think the issue is brahmin vs non brahmin, especially the castes used to working in ppl business historically

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:47 pm

Rishi,
the opinions I expressed above are certainly not politically correct. But in my opinion marwaris, brahmins, reddys and kammas are all fair game. They dominate the economic and cultural scene of ap and India ( you can add other groups like patels, kayasta etc but that is a little longer list). These are big boys and they have enjoyed being the leaders for at least 6 decades. They can take few hits and still survive.

Marwari - khanjoos - now that should tell you that I am jealous of them. This group. Owns Indian business. What makes them so successful?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 pm

truthbetold wrote:Rishi,
the opinions I expressed above are certainly not politically correct. But in my opinion marwaris,  brahmins,  reddys and kammas are all fair game. They dominate the economic and cultural scene of ap and India ( you can add other groups like patels,  kayasta etc but that is a little longer list). These are big boys and they have enjoyed being the leaders for at least 6 decades. They can take few hits and still survive.

Marwari - khanjoos - now that should tell you that I am jealous of them. This group. Owns Indian business.  What makes them so successful?
Hard work, discipline and intelligence I guess. They were also enterprising, went to all corners of India and set up businesses there.

Koenraad Elst mentioned in one of his books that during the British days, the Marwaris were quick to adopt modern methods of doing business. The agricultural castes were stuck in their old ways. but became jealous of the Marwaris.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:00 am

truthbetold wrote:In our neck of woods we have lot of gujaratis and plenty more tamilians.
Gujjus make the best shopkeepers in India. They live up to the old Chinese saying: Don't open a shop unless you like to smile.

That said, you would only have encountered the trader castes amongst the Gujjus and their mildness / friendliness is linked to their eagerness to do business. The peasant castes don't display any such traits.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:14 am

>>>TBT, you need to compare apples to apples, say a gujju amway salesman to a non-gujju amway guy. Ok, maybe friendliness is stretching it in that context. See if you there is a difference in terms of the degree to which you are repulsed by each specimen Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:54 am

Kris ,
one karnataka guy invited me to a dinner and played the amway trick. it took all my years experience to stay calm and walked out with a civil ending to the meeting. another time it was a oriya guy on a plane selling me some variation of amway. two is too much for a life time. oh i got a white guy from work who tried to sell me acai fruit drinks.
my natural curiosity to understand things around me gets me talking and lands me in these situations.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:06 am

Rishi,
hardwork , intel ,and discipline are certainly part of marwari success. The rate of marwari success is high . then the question is why are marwaris so hardworking and disciplined? i think there is more to the story than simple motherhood and apple pie .

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by garam_kuta Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:08 am

the word that comes to mind is docile. may be docile and civil go together....

i believe it's 'informed/willful/advertent tolerance engaging in 'live and let live' principle

garam_kuta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:34 am

Your final question has the answer ... business types (whether Tamils or Gujaratis) are usually more outgoing and less reserved.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down