Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian

+3
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Rishi
7 posters

Go down

Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian Empty Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian

Post by Rishi Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:37 pm

http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-engineering-students-doctorate-claims-false/article5278851.ece?homepage=true

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian Empty Re: Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-engineering-students-doctorate-claims-false/article5278851.ece?homepage=true
HINDU paper is run by idiots...and you can imagine the rest of the media and their authenticity.

Anna Univ is run by idiots - and shows the caliber of all faculty there. Perhaps, most of the faculty got their PhD by paying 1 to 2 crores after registering for 3 years in a PhD "course" So they assumed PhD is jijubi - that too from Berkeley.

Finally, Berkeley guys are borderline idiots to even allow a Gulti UG to present a poster presentation after his 2 abstracts are rejected...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian Empty Re: Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:56 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Rishi wrote:http://www.thehindu.com/news/cities/chennai/chennai-engineering-students-doctorate-claims-false/article5278851.ece?homepage=true
HINDU paper is run by idiots...and you can imagine the rest of the media and their authenticity.  

Anna Univ is run by idiots - and shows the caliber of all faculty there. Perhaps, most of the faculty got their PhD by paying 1 to 2 crores after registering for 3 years in a PhD "course"  So they assumed PhD is jijubi - that too from Berkeley.

Finally, Berkeley guys are borderline idiots to even allow a Gulti UG to present a poster presentation after his 2 abstracts are rejected...
Looks like the guilty candidate is a gult.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Anna Univ is run by idiots - and shows the caliber of all faculty there. Perhaps, most of the faculty got their PhD by paying 1 to 2 crores after registering for 3 years in a PhD "course"  So they assumed PhD is jijubi - that too from Berkeley.

>>>Saamiyaar,

Rohit is not just a faculty member. He got his Ph.D from Berkeley even before he finished his B.E degree from Anna university. He goes to College of Engineering, Guindy and has failed two subjects in his first year. Not everyone who fails college will end up as Ramanujun.

The story that appeared on October 28, 2013.

A student of Anna University has earned a doctorate from a foreign university even before completing his graduation.

Rohit Gunturi, a final-year B.E. student of electronics and communication engineering (ECE) at College of Engineering, Guindy, has been awarded a PhD. by the University of California, Berkeley, eight months before he graduates, for his outstanding research in physics.

Rohit worked on the inner structure of the electron and carried out most of his work on sub-atomic particles of electrons in high-energy physics laboratories at Thumba in Kerala.

“I never wanted to do engineering. I had always wanted to pursue physics, but my father said only a degree in engineering would ensure a good career. So, I chose a stream like ECE, which has the most physics,” he said.

When he failed in two subjects in the first-year examinations, Rohit went back to physics. “Since Anna University did not have facilities for high-quality research, I approached other institutions. I spent hours reading about advancements in physics and the work of scientists such as Neils Bohr,” he said.

“I cleared the arrears but failed in more subjects in subsequent years. Clearing university exams needed preparation with frequently-asked questions. I never had the time or inclination to do that because of my interest and involvement in physics research,” he said.

Encouraged by his professors at the University, Rohit started publishing research papers and attending conferences. “My greatest worry was losing out on attendance in college. Every morning, I would sit and calculate the number of days of attendance I needed to get the mandatory 75 per cent attendance,” he said. Rohit published his first paper in the International Journal of Science and Engineering Research in 2012, and his subsequent eight papers were published by the Journal of Physics.

After presenting papers at conferences in Amsterdam and Berkeley, a professor of UC, Berkeley, met him in Amsterdam and expressed interest in his work.

“Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian,” said Rohit. He now plans to accept the offer made by the University to pursue integrated PhD. in particle physics.

“I have a job offer from Accenture too. But physics is my first love. I cannot imagine doing anything else.”

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>>Saamiyaar,

Rohit is not just a faculty member. He got his Ph.D from Berkeley even before he finished his B.E degree from Anna university. He goes to College of Engineering, Guindy and has failed two subjects in his first year. Not everyone who fails college will end up as Ramanujun.

“Last month, he invited me to attend a conference in Berkeley. He was so impressed with my research he conferred a doctorate on me. I was thrilled because of the five persons awarded doctorates, I was the only Indian,” said Rohit. He now plans to accept the offer made by the University to pursue integrated PhD. in particle physics.

“I have a job offer from Accenture too. But physics is my first love. I cannot imagine doing anything else.”
Yes...no matter what...don't the ANNA Univ people and faculty KNOW that a single guy simply cannot confer PhD bcz of a conf presentation?

Someone should check all his papers and see how he published/ presented those.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 pm

http://1sttaste.in/how-to-discourage-students-from-becoming-great-the-story-of-rohit-gunturi/

>>>ROFL

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Badri Seshadri Talked to Vasudha Venugopal just now. It appears that VC of Anna University was the one who called her with the story and she went ahead with the story. She will follow up and do a retraction and will also talk to UC Berkeley Prof. More than the story appearing in a magazine, I am appalled by Anna University's standards in believing this nonsense. It is a shame on Indian academia more than that in journalism.
Yesterday at 2:11am · 15

https://www.facebook.com/manivannan.m.mani/posts/10202341990614654

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Petrichor Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Rishi wrote:http://1sttaste.in/how-to-discourage-students-from-becoming-great-the-story-of-rohit-gunturi/

>>>ROFL
I wish the author posts the story behind his name. Smile

Petrichor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Rishi wrote:

>>>Saamiyaar,

Yes...no matter what...don't the ANNA Univ people and faculty KNOW that a single guy simply cannot confer PhD bcz of a conf presentation?

Someone should check all his papers and see how he published/ presented those.
>>>Heck, they were going on the basis of Dr. MGR, Dr. MK, Dr. JJ and were probably surprised that this young man even had to a presentation.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Rishi wrote:Badri Seshadri Talked to Vasudha Venugopal just now. It appears that VC of Anna University was the one who called her with the story and she went ahead with the story. She will follow up and do a retraction and will also talk to UC Berkeley Prof. More than the story appearing in a magazine, I am appalled by Anna University's standards in believing this nonsense. It is a shame on Indian academia more than that in journalism.
Yesterday at 2:11am · 15

https://www.facebook.com/manivannan.m.mani/posts/10202341990614654
Like I said ANNA University officials are downright dumb and idiotic to believe that a failing UG student would be awarded a P h D by any university except ANNA University itself...Razz

ALL VCs of all Universities are appointed by Govts (except the Damned Universities) with political connections and at a cost of 10 to 25 crores. Private trusts running colleges compete and bid to put their own man as VC, who "approves" any and all courses and degree programs. Students are admitted to these programs through donations - thus completing the Business model.

So what do you expect from these VCs - the quota cum political cum donation Vetti Chancellors.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:23 pm

That is what happens in these Universities that are so used to conferring 'honorary doctorates'
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:26 am

Hellsangel wrote:That is what happens in these Universities that are so used to conferring 'honorary doctorates'
I talked to the head of a top-25 eng colleges and he said he is "guiding" 15 "Scholars" who work in the nearby colleges. The "price" for a PhD is 3 years and 1 crore. The money does not go to him but rather the management that employs/owns these "guides". The PhD thesis itself is like a graduate course project - often copied from 3rd rate journals and documents available on the net. These "Doctorates" join some other 4th rate college as HoD and recovers the money.

India is becoming the most capitalootistic country in the world.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:09 am

Here is a piece of "great" sikular research by scientist PERVEZ. May be, PakiSatan should give him a Ph.D. in Mulayam should hire him as a post-doc.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/global-warming/Smoke-from-religious-sites-melting-Himalayan-glaciers/articleshow/24938878.cms

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:46 am

And the added effect of bovine burping and flatulence, and the protection of cows in India. The scientific side benefit of culling of qurbani animals during id is a quantifiable (what the heck! as long as you don't need to actually quantify that befit) reduction in global warming.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/methane-cow.htm
A significant portion of these emissions come from methane, which, in terms of its contribution to global warming, is 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide.

Cows emit a massive amount of methane through belching, with a lesser amount through flatulence.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down