Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Only Muslims in India have pan indian identity. No NI-SI problem there

Go down

Only Muslims in India have pan indian identity. No NI-SI problem there  Empty Only Muslims in India have pan indian identity. No NI-SI problem there

Post by Rishi Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:11 pm

The Indian Mujahideen’s manifesto, investigators say, was authored by Karnataka-born, Karachi-based Iqbal Shahbandri — a man we’ve come to know well by the alias Iqbal Bhatkal. Iqbal and his brother Riyaz Shahbandri came from a social class not known for resentments against the status quo. The Shahbandri brothers’ father, Ismail, had left the Mangalore-region town, Bhatkal, for Mumbai in the 1970s. He set up a successful leather-tanning works in the city’s Kurla area, buying an apartment on Tulsi Pipe Road.
Riyaz Shahbandri studied at upscale English-medium schools, and later picked up a civil engineering degree from Mumbai’s Saboo Siddiqui College. For his part, Iqbal studied Unani medicine, though his main interest was preaching and proselytising.
In 2001, the brothers were introduced to the now-proscribed Students Islamic Movement of India, or SIMI, through a relative. Founded in the wake of the Emergency, SIMI’s language and practice had become increasingly vitriolic after the Babri Masjid was demolished. In 1996, it put up posters calling on god to send an avatar of the 11th century warlord Mahmud Ghaznavi to avenge the destruction of the mosque.

===> When I went to paces like Mumbai and Delhi for the first time, not knowing Hindi or Marathi I felt as if I was in a foreign land. Whereas these guys whether they grew up in Cochin or Mangalore, they feel at home anywhere in India and Pakistan as well.

Rishi

Back to top Go down