Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Androids in space

4 posters

Go down

Androids in space Empty Androids in space

Post by charvaka Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:29 pm

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-s-hitching-ride-back-space-final-shuttle-flight

A couple of Android phones are on use in the final mission of Space Shuttle Atlantis.
charvaka
charvaka

Back to top Go down

Androids in space Empty Re: Androids in space

Post by Mosquito Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:20 pm

This reminds me of this incident. I met this guy at a hackathon who was trying to create an app that clicks pictures at definite intervals. He was pretty annoyed that he has to render the image himself and also about the latency. A couple of us have asked may be it's time to upgrade to iphone as iphone performs that task seamlessly. He says he doesnt want to 'cos it is going finally land in an ocean. Very Happy
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:55 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:He was pretty annoyed that he has to render the image himself and also about the latency.

Please explain in plain English what you mean by 'render the image himself' and 'latency' in this context.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:09 am

SomeProfile wrote:
PseudoIntellectual wrote:He was pretty annoyed that he has to render the image himself and also about the latency.

Please explain in plain English what you mean by 'render the image himself' and 'latency' in this context.

Rendering=drawing the image on the screen. When phone clicks a picture the picture doesnt automatically appear it has to be drawn using a function. For Android developers have to write that function. You can do everything with one function call on iOS.

Latency=delay.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by SomeProfile Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:18 pm

PseudoIntellectual wrote:
SomeProfile wrote:

Rendering=drawing the image on the screen. When phone clicks a picture the picture doesnt automatically appear it has to be drawn using a function. For Android developers have to write that function. You can do everything with one function call on iOS.

Latency=delay.

I know what render and latency mean as English words. I was trying to understand what exactly this guy was trying to do. When I click on my Android phone, the image appears immediately on the screen and I don't see any latency issues. I still don't understand why this guy has to render the image himself and in which step of the process he was experiencing latency.

SomeProfile

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:54 pm

Smile

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Mosquito Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 pm

SomeProfile wrote:

I know what render and latency mean as English words. I was trying to understand what exactly this guy was trying to do. When I click on my Android phone, the image appears immediately on the screen and I don't see any latency issues. I still don't understand why this guy has to render the image himself and in which step of the process he was experiencing latency.

He is developing an app, not using the native Android app. Having draw an image is resource intensive. It doesn't matter in many cases, but if you have to take pics in quick succession, it could be a problem.
Mosquito
Mosquito

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down