Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto insurance question

3 posters

Go down

Auto insurance question Empty Auto insurance question

Post by Rishi Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:55 pm

Suppose you have a $30000 for coverage for bodily injury libaility. You rear end a vehicle because it stopped abruptly. And the driver of that vehicle makes a injury claim more than your liability limit. Can they sue you? The person came out of the car walking around fine. Told the paramedics that she was OK.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Auto insurance question Empty Re: Auto insurance question

Post by Hellsangel Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:03 pm

His Holiness who knows it all should be able to tell you.

PS: They sue your insurance company. Not you personally.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:20 pm

Rishi wrote:Suppose you have a $30000 for coverage for  bodily injury libaility.  You rear end a vehicle because it stopped abruptly. And the driver of that vehicle makes a injury claim more than your liability limit. Can they sue you? The person came out of the car walking around fine. Told the paramedics that she was OK.
yes she can potentially sue, and her spouse too (for killing their social life). They may also sue the dealership that your car belongs to if it still does, but the dealership will be fine, they do this just to add the pressure. your insurance company and their lawyers will deal with it, you will not need to do anything, except read their update mails. most likely they will settle it. most likely they will kick you out of their insurance after it. The amount they claim i think is usually 3 times the medical costs, but it may not go upto that limit. your insurance will fight tooth and nail if it goes beyond 30000, but the other lawyer would likely be smart enough not to do that. she may have walked out fine, and you may witness her standing in a queue for 2 hours, but that will still not work, coz they will say, 'That was my one rare good day'.

The above was the worst case scenario. if ur bad luck is as bad as my XH, then you may face all or some of the facts i mentioned above. if your good luck is as good as the guy who rear ended me, most likely she was stupid enough to go to work that day inspite of the cop telling her to get an ambulance for her as she looked pretty beaten up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:12 pm

Rishi wrote:Suppose you have a $30000 for coverage for  bodily injury libaility.  You rear end a vehicle because it stopped abruptly. And the driver of that vehicle makes a injury claim more than your liability limit. Can they sue you? The person came out of the car walking around fine. Told the paramedics that she was OK.
I am pretty sure YOU got ticketted. Bummer.

talk to your insurance agent and do as he tell you.

They will sue the auto company. But, TECHNICALLY, you should have an umbrella policy for such eventuality...that covers up to a 2, 3, 5 mil.

Having said that..if the patient walked around at best there will be some minor whiplash. Could be a "professional" and KNOWS they can get at best some 30 to 50 K. they will get 10 to 20 K. No Lawyer will sue more than that if the patient was not hospitalized or paralyzed.

Most likely your insurance rate will go up a little next time. That is about it. But, STRICTLY deal through YOUR insurance agent. The OTHER agent (likely the professional has no insurance) will call you and try to bully you...but stick to your story no matter what - they are all recorded. If they insist on inspecting your car, say "you will tell your agent" (There is no such Bullshyt like inspecting your car - that is a sure shot way to find fault in your car and fishing for information).

dont worry....be happy.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down