Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment.

5 posters

Go down

It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment. Empty It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment.

Post by Rishi Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:52 pm

mango man
• 4 hours ago

It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment. If such is the state of affairs in the country, why would anyone embrace secularism in this country? At least persons with proven secular credentials should be allowed a few rapes every year, and embezzlement of a few thousands of crores of rupees once in a while.............................

Rishi

Back to top Go down

It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment. Empty Re: It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment.

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:21 pm

secular is an adjective. "proven secular" is meaningless.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment. Empty Re: It is really sad to note that a proven secular like Tarun Tejpal is being booked for a petty crime like sexual harassment.

Post by bw Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:32 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:secular is an adjective. "proven secular" is meaningless.
it can be used as a noun too.

https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/secular

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:27 pm

well it sounds like one of those words that was nounified in the recent past. i don't like it and i won't be using it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 pm

secular when used as a noun sounds like brigadier harish khandelwal's use of the word "older". when he writes that i am always tempted to ask, older what? cat, dentures, television?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:21 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:well it sounds like one of those words that was nounified in the recent past. i don't like it and i won't be using it.
And I thought it was because you were being a purtitan about language, Il Professor-ai. My bad. I see it is only because you don't like it.

PS: Merriam-Webster has its first usage as a noun dating back to the 14th century.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/secular
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:45 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:well it sounds like one of those words that was nounified in the recent past. i don't like it and i won't be using it.
And I thought it was because you were being a purtitan about language, Il Professor-ai. My bad. I see it is only because you don't like it.

PS: Merriam-Webster has its first usage as a noun dating back to the 14th century.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/secular
wonder what the original usage was - noun or adjective..

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:10 am

bw wrote:

More commonly, it is used as an insult.

Seculars are those Muslim-loving, Hindu-bashing, India-hating, dynasty-worshipping, crores-embezzling, crony-enriching, deficit-expanding, bottom-pinching ogres responsible for everything that has gone wrong with India over the last six decades.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

Seculars are those Muslim-loving, Hindu-bashing, India-hating, dynasty-worshipping, crores-embezzling, crony-enriching, deficit-expanding, bottom-pinching ogres responsible for everything that has gone wrong with India over the last six decades.
oh, is that what rishi meant?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:26 am

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

Oh yeah. Only the Breasty Beauty is too chicken to voice his own opinions. He will only slyly quote somebody else as a proxy.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:28 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:

Oh yeah. Only the Breasty Beauty is too chicken to voice his own opinions. He will only slyly quote somebody else as a proxy.
he was dating a persian guy - he is a part-time secular, i guess.

bw

Back to top Go down