Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mary Barra, the new CEO of GM

5 posters

Go down

Mary Barra, the new CEO of GM Empty Mary Barra, the new CEO of GM

Post by Rishi Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:49 am

http://www.forbes.com/profile/mary-barra/

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Mary Barra, the new CEO of GM Empty Re: Mary Barra, the new CEO of GM

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:32 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.forbes.com/profile/mary-barra/

Talk about quota system. Indian quota system - at least - has numerical limit.

How many female engineers are there...compare that to the number of female executives. How many women have founded Microsofts, Adobes, Yahoos, and Apples. As in anything women love to be "handed down" in a platter, and allowed to claim credit.

Of course, the women's groups will compare the % of female CEOs to % of male CEOs and cry hoarse.

GM does not want to be left behind in female "promotion"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:44 pm

the woman thing is going to make all the headlines, but IMO just as important is that an engineer rather than a bean counter has been made CEO. that's got to be good.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:46 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the woman thing is going to make all the headlines, but IMO just as important is that an engineer rather than a bean counter has been made CEO. that's got to be good.

Why don't bean counters make good CEOs?
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:51 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:the woman thing is going to make all the headlines, but IMO just as important is that an engineer rather than a bean counter has been made CEO. that's got to be good.

just a personal discomfort with pure bean counters and prior interactions with them. engineers who learn bean counting later in their careers probably make better CEOs. i am not going to show you how my opinion is justified by pulling reams of data. this is an informal anecdotal observation.

and it is an engineering company first and foremost, isn't it? or are they primarily a bank like GE?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:58 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

just a personal discomfort with pure bean counters and prior interactions with them. engineers who learn bean counting later in their careers probably make better CEOs. i am not going to show you how my opinion is justified by pulling reams of data. this is an informal anecdotal observation.

and it is an engineering company first and foremost, isn't it? or are they primarily a bank like GE?
Well, BMW and Mercedes-Benz would agree with you based on their current CEOs.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:08 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

Bean counters rule the world these days. Nothing like (fake) bean counting to impress the gullible public.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:52 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

>>> How long it is going to take for an intelligent bean counter to figure out the big picture of the Engineering that is taking place in the company? Especially with so much of life experience and the opportunities for education and training that is possible in America, a bright bean counter can easily learn the fundamentals of manufacturing.

This reminds me of what happened long long ago when I worked for a public sector company in India. They hired kids right out of college to train them in COBOL language to program their payroll system. The requirement was either you have a degree in engineering or a M.Sc in math or statistics.

The fellows with B.E degree thought they were superior to the guys with M.Sc in math/statistics. These guys told the M.Sc guys that "We can do what you guys can do but you cannot do what we guys can do", The truth of the matter was the B.E degree holders who talked like that were neither good in math nor engineering. They got their degrees with mere rote memorization.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:19 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

>>> How long it is going to take for an intelligent bean counter to figure out the big picture of the Engineering that is taking place in the company? Especially with so much of life experience and the opportunities for education and training that is possible in America, a bright bean counter can easily learn the fundamentals of manufacturing.  

This reminds me of what happened long long ago when I worked for a public sector company in India. They hired kids right out of college to train them in COBOL language to program their payroll system. The requirement was either you have a degree in engineering or a M.Sc in math or statistics.

The fellows with B.E degree thought they were superior to the guys with M.Sc in math/statistics. These guys told the M.Sc guys that "We can do what you guys can do but you cannot do what we guys can do", The truth of the matter was the B.E degree holders who talked like that were neither good in math nor engineering. They got their degrees with mere rote memorization.

an engineering education provides a broad base and critical thinking skills on which to build analytical skills required for business. to achieve the reverse is a difficult endeavor. an engineering education provides a firm basis to break down and analyze systems and their relationships to each other.  IMO, an engineering education supplemented later with a business education or real life business experience is a better CV for an auto executive than a pure business background. i am sure GM took this into consideration when they gave her the job. she seems to have worked a lot of in-the-trenches engineering jobs at the company. the problems that all auto companies are going to face in the coming years are hardly pure business problems -- smart cars, meeting increasingly difficult fuel efficiency standards, and making cleaner cars are all difficult technical problems. having an engineer at the helm is definitely the right idea.

she did not attend any engineering colleges in india as far as i know. she is a graduate of kettering university (used to be the general motors institute) which is an excellent engineering school.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Rishi wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Hellsangel wrote:

uh oh, rishi, you too a 70 year old vayasaana maama?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down