Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ramachandra Guha is a UPwalah

+2
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
6 posters

Go down

Ramachandra Guha is a UPwalah Empty Ramachandra Guha is a UPwalah

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:23 pm

I learnt today that Ram Guha is a UPite, strictly speaking his family is from present day Uttaranchal which was a part of UP till recently.

Back to top Go down

Ramachandra Guha is a UPwalah Empty Re: Ramachandra Guha is a UPwalah

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:29 pm

http://www.indiatogether.org/2006/may/rgh-obits.htm

As for the other escape route, I must declare an interest—I am a Tamil who grew up, in an intellectual sense, in Bengal, while the two periodicals I regularly write for are printed in Calcutta and Chennai respectively. That said, it does seem that newspapers published in cities distant from Delhi have succumbed somewhat less to the seductions of power or the cult of celebrity. - See more at: http://www.indiatogether.org/2006/may/rgh-obits.htm#sthash.GUpZGUWg.dpuf
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:37 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:http://www.indiatogether.org/2006/may/rgh-obits.htm

As for the other escape route, I must declare an interest—I am a Tamil who grew up, in an intellectual sense, in Bengal, while the two periodicals I regularly write for are printed in Calcutta and Chennai respectively. That said, it does seem that newspapers published in cities distant from Delhi have succumbed somewhat less to the seductions of power or the cult of celebrity. - See more at: http://www.indiatogether.org/2006/may/rgh-obits.htm#sthash.GUpZGUWg.dpuf

I am confused. In his twitter feed, Guha writes:

The star of the ToI Lit Fest the day I was there was my fellow Uttarakhandi Ruskin Bond. Ruskin is a wonderful writer and human being...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:

The star of the ToI Lit Fest the day I was there was my fellow Uttarakhandi Ruskin Bond. Ruskin is a wonderful writer and human being...

Is there some kind of synthesis going on here?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:42 pm

Rashmun wrote:

"Guha was born on 29 April 1958 at Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, where his father Ram Das Guha was a director at the Forest Research Institute. His mother tongue is Tamil."

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

"Guha was born on 29 April 1958 at Dehra Dun, Uttarakhand, where his father Ram Das Guha was a director at the Forest Research Institute. His mother tongue is Tamil."

That explains a lot.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 pm

So, the pompous Ramachandra is a Tamil from a Guha (cave) in Uttarakhand. Hmm... 

Rashmun can still claim that, like all Iyers, he is originally from UP!

I'm sure, DKheads will be happy if they all go back to UP and mingle with monomaniac kafirs.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:19 pm

bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Das is not a typical tamil name. Is he from Kerala border area? I know some malayalees with names like Ramdas and Haridas.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:09 pm

b_A wrote:
bw wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

Das is not a typical tamil name. Is he from Kerala border area? I know some malayalees with names like Ramdas and Haridas.

"For the record, Guha himself is a Tamil from Bangalore. The Bengali sounding surname he got while in school at Dehradun. As his father's name was Subramaniam Ramdas Guha, he should have been Subramaniam Ramachandra. But his teachers were not familiar with Tamil name-keeping norms and that is how he came to be called Ramachandra Guha."

http://www.business-standard.com/article/opinion/lunch-with-bs-ramachandra-guha-107050801041_1.html

he is a deserter.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:21 pm

this is going to make some synthesists and integratists very unhappy.

Guha likes to call India an unnatural state and an unlikely democracy on account of its linguistic and cultural differences.

garlic risotto? why isn't he ordering panneer dosa and kheema idli? i am very disappointed with this uttarkhandist bengali iyer.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is going to make some synthesists and integratists very unhappy.

Guha likes to call India an unnatural state and an unlikely democracy on account of its linguistic and cultural differences.

garlic risotto? why isn't he ordering panneer dosa and kheema idli? i am very disappointed with this uttarkhandist bengali iyer.

In fact Guha is an integrationist. Max is simply clutching at straws by tearing Guha's statements out of context.

----

Guha began his talk with a bold assertion. “I have a simple thesis to defend today: India is the most interesting country in the world, period,” he said. “Never before in human history was a territory so diverse and divided constituted as a single, unified nation.”
Guha explained that India eschewed the European and American models of nation-building, since it is unable to claim allegiances to a common faith, language, or even enemy, rendering it an “unnatural nation.” Following its independence in 1947, India adopted the universal vote—unlike the West, where the franchise was granted in stages—providing the privilege to a largely illiterate population. “The first elections were called the biggest gamble in history,” said Guha.

Even ardent sympathizers of India forecasted its decline after the death of its first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, but the nation’s united and democratic survival was safeguarded by five principle factors, said Guha. He cited healthy participation in nationwide elections (“marginalized communities vote in larger proportions in elections,” Guha stated); preservation of linguistic pluralism (most aptly reflected in the Indian rupee note, which is illustrated with 17 different scripts); the existence of a free press and an independent judiciary; the all-encompassing game of cricket; and, perhaps most surprising, the vibrant Hindi film industry. “The great poet and script writer Javed Akhtar once said there are 28 states in the Indian republic and the 29th is the Hindi film,” said Guha. “I expanded that insight to say the 29th state is actually a receptacle and showcase for the varied influences of the 28 states. It’s a bastion of secularism.”

Back to top Go down

Post by namo Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:28 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is going to make some synthesists and integratists very unhappy.

Ya, I think India should disintegrate into many different individual countries. There's nothing common among its people that can bind them together.

namo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:29 pm

Rashmun wrote:

In fact Guha is an integrationist. Max is simply clutching at straws by tearing Guha's statements out of context.

----

Guha began his talk with a bold assertion. “I have a simple thesis to defend today: India is the most interesting country in the world, period,” he said. “Never before in human history was a territory so diverse and divided constituted as a single, unified nation.”
Guha explained that India eschewed the European and American models of nation-building, since it is unable to claim allegiances to a common faith, language, or even enemy, rendering it an “unnatural nation.” Following its independence in 1947, India adopted the universal vote—unlike the West, where the franchise was granted in stages—providing the privilege to a largely illiterate population. “The first elections were called the biggest gamble in history,” said Guha.

Even ardent sympathizers of India forecasted its decline after the death of its first prime minister, Jawaharlal Nehru, but the nation’s united and democratic survival was safeguarded by five principle factors, said Guha. He cited healthy participation in nationwide elections (“marginalized communities vote in larger proportions in elections,” Guha stated); preservation of linguistic pluralism (most aptly reflected in the Indian rupee note, which is illustrated with 17 different scripts); the existence of a free press and an independent judiciary; the all-encompassing game of cricket; and, perhaps most surprising, the vibrant Hindi film industry. “The great poet and script writer Javed Akhtar once said there are 28 states in the Indian republic and the 29th is the Hindi film,” said Guha. “I expanded that insight to say the 29th state is actually a receptacle and showcase for the varied influences of the 28 states. It’s a bastion of secularism.”

Notice the importance given to Hindi by Guha.

Back to top Go down

Post by namo Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:34 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

----

He gave importance to Bollywood, not Hindi.

namo

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Rashmun wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

----

not hindi but bollywood - the ugh factor.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down