Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India

3 posters

Go down

The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India Empty The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:42 pm

The women of the central countries (i.e. between the Ganges and the Jumna) are noble in their character, not accustomed to disgraceful practices, and dislike pressing the nails and biting.

The women of the Balhika country are gained over by striking.

The women of Avantika are fond of foul pleasures, and have not good manners.

The women of the Maharashtra are fond of practising the sixty-four arts, they utter low and harsh words, and like to be spoken to in the same way, and have an impetuous desire of enjoyment.

The women of Pataliputra (i.e. the modern Patna) are of the same nature as the women of the Maharashtra, but show their likings only in secret.

The women of the Dravida country, though they are rubbed and pressed about at the time of sexual enjoyment, have a slow fall of semen, that is they are very slow in the act of coition.

The women of Vanavasi are moderately passionate, they go through every kind of enjoyment, cover their bodies, and abuse those who utter low, mean and harsh words.

The women of Avanti hate kissing, marking with the nails, and biting, but they have a fondness for various kinds of sexual union.

The women of Malwa like embracing and kissing, but not wounding, and they are gained over by striking.

The women of Abhira, and those of the country about the Indus and five rivers (i.e. the Punjab), are gained over by the Auparishtaka or mouth congress.

The women of Aparatika are full of passion, and make slowly the sound 'Sit'.

The women of the Lat country have even more impetuous desire, and also make the sound 'Sit'.

The women of the Stri Rajya, and of Koshola (Oude), are full of impetuous desire, their semen falls in large quantities and they are fond of taking medicine to make it do so.

The women of the Andhra country have tender bodies, they are fond of enjoyment, and have a liking for voluptuous pleasures.

The women of Ganda have tender bodies, and speak sweetly.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/sex/kama/kama205.htm

Back to top Go down

The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India Empty Re: The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:38 pm

Rashmun wrote:The women of the central countries (i.e. between the Ganges and the Jumna) are noble in their character, not accustomed to disgraceful practices, and dislike pressing the nails and biting.

The women of the Maharashtra are fond of practising the sixty-four arts, they utter low and harsh words, and like to be spoken to in the same way, and have an impetuous desire of enjoyment.

The women of Pataliputra (i.e. the modern Patna) are of the same nature as the women of the Maharashtra, but show their likings only in secret.

The women of the Dravida country, though they are rubbed and pressed about at the time of sexual enjoyment, have a slow fall of semen, that is they are very slow in the act of coition.

The women of Vanavasi are moderately passionate, they go through every kind of enjoyment, cover their bodies, and abuse those who utter low, mean and harsh words.

The women of Avanti hate kissing, marking with the nails, and biting, but they have a fondness for various kinds of sexual union.

The women of Malwa like embracing and kissing, but not wounding, and they are gained over by striking.

The women of Abhira, and those of the country about the Indus and five rivers (i.e. the Punjab), are gained over by the Auparishtaka or mouth congress.

The women of the Lat country have even more impetuous desire, and also make the sound 'Sit'.

The women of the Stri Rajya, and of Koshola (Oude), are full of impetuous desire, their semen falls in large quantities and they are fond of taking medicine to make it do so.

The women of the Andhra country have tender bodies, they are fond of enjoyment, and have a liking for voluptuous pleasures.

Works like the Kamasutra remind us that India has culturally been one nation for a long period of time.

Back to top Go down

The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India Empty Re: The Kamasutra on characteristics of women from different parts of India

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:19 pm

Looks like written by a NI fellow who had trouble satisfying a Dravida woman ("The women of the Dravida country, though they are rubbed and pressed about at the time of sexual enjoyment, have a slow fall of semen, that is they are very slow in the act of coition.").

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:33 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:Looks like written by a NI fellow who had trouble satisfying a Dravida woman ("The women of the Dravida country, though they are rubbed and pressed about at the time of sexual enjoyment, have a slow fall of semen, that is they are very slow in the act of coition.").

In fact my interpretation of that sentence is that dravida women take a long time to come to an orgasm. Given that the writer of the Kamasutra was obviously a sex expert he must have enjoyed himself with the dravida women who were taking an unusually long time to have an orgasm. Btw, hats off to Vatsyayana for the amount of research he must have had to do to write this book.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:55 pm

Rashmun wrote:The women of the central countries (i.e. between the Ganges and the Jumna) are noble in their character, not accustomed to disgraceful practices, and dislike pressing the nails and biting.

in the above Koshola (Oude) would correspond roughly to Uttar Pradesh, Malwa would correspond roughly to western madhya pradesh, Pataliputra would i think correspond roughly to Bihar of today and not just Patna, Lat country corresponds to southern Gujarat (Saurashtra). By Vanavasi, i think, is meant tribal women but i am not sure.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:53 am

this is a really zany translation. it is more weird and entertaining than informative. making the sound 'sit'? hahaha. what on earth does that mean? 'slow fall of semen'? who translated this? banarsi das the english teacher from ghaziabad high school?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:58 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:this is a really zany translation. it is more weird and entertaining than informative. making the sound 'sit'? hahaha. what on earth does that mean? 'slow fall of semen'? who translated this? banarsi das the english teacher from ghaziabad high school?

the translator is Sir Richard Burton. i think 'semen' and 'vaginal fluids' might have same word in sanskrit.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:07 am

he must have been under the influence of something really potent to come up with this stuff then. very entertaining.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:17 am

http://www.sacred-texts.com/sex/kama/kama209.htm

>>> Kamasutra clearly defines lingam to be penis.

Why are many hindus in denial when it comes to shiv linga? It is what it is. Shiva's linga is Shiva's penis. Last week, I saw someone pouring milk over Shiva linga in the Hindu temple in Edison, NJ.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:30 am

this is from the Doniger-Sudhir Kakar translation of the Kamasutra:

A man should treat a woman according to the nature of the region she comes from. The women from central India are mostly noble-women with pure habits; they hate kissing, scratching, and biting, and so do the women of Bahlika and Avantika, though they are fond of unusual sex acts. Women from Malava and Abhira like embracing, kissing, scratching, biting, and sucking, and although they do not like to be wounded they can be won over by slaps. The women who live in the land watered by the Indus and the other five rivers like oral sex. The women of the West and of Lata are capable of fierce sexual energy, and they moan softly. In the land where women rule, and in Kosala, the women like to be slapped hard and generally use sex tools, for their sexual energy is very rough indeed. The women of Andhra are delicate by nature but have coarse habits and are very fond of sexual ecstasy and impure delights. The women of Maharashtra are aroused by all of the sixty-four techniques, enjoy dirty, coarse talk, and take the initiative impetuously in bed. The women of the city [Pataliputra in the Burton translation] are just like that, but they reveal it only in private. And when dravidian women are stimulated with foreplay they only very slowly will become wet. The women of Vanavasa have average sexual energy and will endure everything, but they hide their bodies, laugh at other people's bodies, and cannot abide anything objectionable, dirty, or rough. The women of Gauda speak delicately, have delicate bodies, and tend to fall in love.

In the above, Gauda i think stands for Bengal (and northern Orissa). Andhra in the above would i think include southern Orissa. 'Women of the West' and 'Lata country' stands for Gujarat and maybe parts of other neighboring regions like Rajasthan and Sindh. Most puzzling of all to me were the words 'in the land where women rule'. I think this refers to some prevailing matriachal or matrilineal tribes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down