Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yejaman is not a Tamil word

+5
Seva Lamberdar
indophile
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
MaxEntropy_Man
Rishi
9 posters

Go down

Yejaman is not a Tamil word Empty Yejaman is not a Tamil word

Post by Rishi Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:34 pm

It is actually a sanskrit word.
But you find that word is being used by Tamil scholars.

http://books.google.com/books?id=tgxRAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA558&lpg=PA558&dq=yejaman+sanskrit&source=bl&ots=oDFGnc58O8&sig=F4O0bBUe6OwMRmfNqZgoI69v76E&hl=en&sa=X&ei=FFTDUuWHMeilsQT2q4CYDQ&ved=0CDcQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=yejaman%20sanskrit&f=false

What is the pure Tamil word for yejaman?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Yejaman is not a Tamil word Empty Re: Yejaman is not a Tamil word

Post by Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 pm

We use it in telugu too. It's yejamani in telugu.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:53 pm

மேலாளர்
மேலுரிமையாளர்
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:45 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:மேலாளர்
மேலுரிமையாளர்

More like UrimaiyaaLar.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:59 am

Kinnera wrote:We use it in telugu too. It's yejamani in telugu.
In Kannada too, it's ejamana(ru) - husband, boss, owner/protector, leader of the household, etc.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 am

i provided alternatives. however, IMO we should not be so quick to dismiss words we currently think as being sanskritic in origin for two reasons:

(a) words thought to be sanskritic in origin could very well have had dravidian origins. they may well be words that went from proto dravidian into sanskrit. the sanskrit as the mother of all indian languages crowd has managed to brainwash us that anything that has a cognate in sanskrit has originated in sanksrit. bhadriraju krishnamurthy and other linguists have discussed migration of words from proto dravidian into sanskrit.

(b) i think it is silly to delete words that have been already absorbed in the language. i am however not averse to using a non-sanskritic alternative when one is readily available.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i provided alternatives. however, IMO we should not be so quick to dismiss words we currently think as being sanskritic in origin for two reasons:

(a) words thought to be sanskritic in origin could very well have had dravidian origins. they may well be words that went from proto dravidian into sanskrit. the sanskrit as the mother of all indian languages crowd has managed to brainwash us that anything that has a cognate in sanskrit has originated in sanksrit. bhadriraju krishnamurthy and other linguists have discussed migration of words from proto dravidian into sanskrit.

(b) i think it is silly to delete words that have been already absorbed in the language. i am however not averse to using a non-sanskritic alternative when one is readily available.

When in doubt, look at the word etymologically.

The roots of the word ‘yejaman’ (a variation of ‘yajaman’…  meaning a person sponsoring Vedic ritual / worship) is in the Sanskrit word ‘yajna’ (Vedic rite / sacrifice, as also implied specifically in the title ‘Yajur-veda’, i.e. Veda related to sacrifices or holy offerings)
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:33 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:i provided alternatives. however, IMO we should not be so quick to dismiss words we currently think as being sanskritic in origin for two reasons:

The roots of the word ‘yejaman’ (a variation of ‘yajaman’…  meaning a person sponsoring Vedic ritual / worship) is in the Sanskrit word ‘yajna’ (Vedic rite / sacrifice, as also implied specifically in the title ‘Yajur-veda’, i.e. Veda related to sacrifices or holy offerings)

i wasn't talking about this particular word. i expressed a more general thought.

the advice on etymology is superfluous. i have a reasonable exposure to many indian languages (certainly more languages than you, but may not be as many as indophile) to speculate about etymology at least as well as you.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:48 pm

indophile wrote:
In Kannada too, it's ejamana(ru) - husband, boss, owner/protector, leader of the household, etc.

this sounds like "hegemon." possibly it is derived  from yejaman. they mean the same thing and sound alike.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:55 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

this sounds like "hegemon." possibly it is derived  from yejaman. they mean the same thing and sound alike.

excellent intelligent speculation.

MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:58 pm

yepravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

Actually, its origins are in telugu. Sanskrit borrowed it from telugu and all the other languages borrowed it from Sanskrit.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:09 pm

I support kinnera's assertion.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:10 pm

Kinnera wrote:
yepravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

Actually, its origins are in telugu. Sanskrit borrowed it from telugu and all the other languages borrowed it from Sanskrit.

that could also be true.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:14 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
yepravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

that could also be true.

it IS true!

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
yepravalika nanda wrote:
indophile wrote:

that could also be true.

it IS true!

it is certainly not inconsistent with my own thoughts about the mutual relationship of sanskrit with dravidian languages, but i think if we are talking about absolute proof we need a bit more than assertion. i am not saying you are wrong, but i am saying we don't know.

here is another question for people interested in word origins. suppose you create a new word in a dravidian language made of two words whose roots are sanskritic, through compounding or some other linguistic process. should the word origin be assigned to sanskrit or the dravidian language in which it took birth?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:22 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
yepravalika nanda wrote:

that could also be true.

it IS true!

it is certainly not inconsistent with my own thoughts about the mutual relationship of sanskrit with dravidian languages, but i think if we are talking about absolute proof we need a bit more than assertion. i am not saying you are wrong, but i am saying we don't know.

here is another question for people interested in word origins. suppose you create a new word in a dravidian language made of two words whose roots are sanskritic, through compounding or some other linguistic process. should the word origin be assigned to sanskrit or the dravidian language in which it took birth?

Sanskrit of course because the two separate words of the compound word have their origins in Sanskrit.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:31 pm

Kinnera wrote:

Sanskrit of course because the two separate words of the compound word have their origins in Sanskrit.

at what point do you say a word originated in the language in which it was used in the full form? after all sanskrit also had a parent.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:

at what point do you say a word originated in the language in which it was used in the full form? after all sanskrit also had a parent.

At this point: "suppose you create a new word in a dravidian language made of two words whose roots are sanskritic, through compounding or some other linguistic process. should the word origin be assigned to sanskrit or the dravidian language in which it took birth."

I answered your hypothetical question.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:

A preliminary look at various dictionaries seems to indicate that Sevaji is correct on this one.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:44 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:
yepravalika nanda wrote:

that could also be true.

it IS true!

what if we have a word in english that is a combination of two latin or greek words?  the origin is obviously latin or greek and not english. "eulogy" for instance?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down