Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There's no word like Chennai in Tamil

+10
b_A
truthbetold
bw
Ponniyin Selvan
Hellsangel
Vakavaka Pakapaka
Impedimenta
MaxEntropy_Man
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
southindian
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

There's no word like Chennai in Tamil Empty There's no word like Chennai in Tamil

Post by southindian Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

In the Tamil Lexicon, the meaning of the word ‘Cennai’ has been given as ‘drum’ or ‘a brown coloured dog’. Otherwise, there is no word as ‘Chennai’ in the Lexicon. Therefore Chennai is undoubtedly not Tamil.
Several Tamil and Telugu protagonists have contacted me and have even admitted in person that a mistake has been committed in good faith in renaming Madras as Chennai.

But in my work on Madras, I have also established that Chennai was a Telugu word derived from Chenna and Chennapatam. ‘Chenna’ meant ‘fair’ in Telugu. In Tamil it had no meaning. I have also established that Chenna was not derived from Chennapa Nayak, the father of Damarla Venkatappa.

southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

There's no word like Chennai in Tamil Empty Re: There's no word like Chennai in Tamil

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:06 pm

southindian wrote:In the Tamil Lexicon, the meaning of the word ‘Cennai’ has been given as ‘drum’ or ‘a brown coloured dog’. Otherwise, there is no word as ‘Chennai’ in the Lexicon. Therefore Chennai is undoubtedly not Tamil.
Several Tamil and Telugu protagonists have contacted me and have even admitted in person that a mistake has been committed in good faith in renaming Madras as Chennai.

But in my work on Madras, I have also established that Chennai was a Telugu word derived from Chenna and Chennapatam. ‘Chenna’ meant ‘fair’ in Telugu. In Tamil it had no meaning. I have also established that Chenna was not derived from Chennapa Nayak, the father of Damarla Venkatappa.

It is one of the political gimmicks of MK & family. Just bcz the Brits used Madras, MK argues this must have been English. So he picks Chennai. Both are gult chieftains ruling 2 small hamlets 8 to 10 miles apart. People ALWAYS used Madras in English and Chennai while writing in Tamil, although they used Madras in conversations.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

There's no word like Chennai in Tamil Empty Re: There's no word like Chennai in Tamil

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:09 pm

that isn't surprising considering that chennai was the capital of the madras presidency which also contained a good portion of AP. chennai still has a very sizable telugu population.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:11 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that isn't surprising considering that chennai was the capital of the madras presidency which also contained a good portion of AP.  chennai still has a very sizable telugu population.  

You mean Madras...Razz

Gult population is around 20-25% in Madras - bit down due to migration from elsewhere.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:13 pm

MK is an idiot

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:19 pm

southindian wrote:In the Tamil Lexicon, the meaning of the word ‘Cennai’ has been given as ‘drum’ or ‘a brown coloured dog’. Otherwise, there is no word as ‘Chennai’ in the Lexicon. Therefore Chennai is undoubtedly not Tamil.

In our home, we always called it Chennapatnam, whatever that means.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:20 pm

so, even their capital's name is not their own? just something they faithfully adopted and made their own, like their food and their art?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:37 pm

chennai and TN have always been welcoming to non-tamilians, so long as they don't bring crappy hegemonic attitudes into the city and the state. telugus have always been part of the chennai milieu. it's not a bit surprising that the city itself derives its name from a telugu source. looks like the author just found out about this and wants to tell the world what everyone already knows.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:43 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:chennai and TN have always been welcoming to non-tamilians, so long as they don't bring crappy hegemonic attitudes into the city and the state.  telugus have always been part of the chennai milieu. it's not a bit surprising that the city itself derives its name from a telugu source. looks like the author just found out about this and wants to tell the world what everyone already knows.

A 'Warrier' of all people should know this.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:47 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:chennai and TN have always been welcoming to non-tamilians, so long as they don't bring crappy hegemonic attitudes into the city and the state.  telugus have always been part of the chennai milieu. it's not a bit surprising that the city itself derives its name from a telugu source. looks like the author just found out about this and wants to tell the world what everyone already knows.

A 'Warrier' of all people should know this.

i didn't get it.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:that isn't surprising considering that chennai was the capital of the madras presidency which also contained a good portion of AP.  chennai still has a very sizable telugu population.  

you are not surprised, but given your love for languages, did you know the roots of the name before?

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:18 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

you are not surprised, but given your love for languages, did you know the roots of the name before?

of course.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:08 pm

"English records tell us that the area which was given to them in 1639 by the Telugu Nayak Damarla Venkatappa was known as ‘jackal’s ground’ or Nari Medu i.e. mound of jackals."

Hmm...... Looks like Kani, K'nidhi, Marans, etc., are making sure that it remains a "mound of Jackals".

Seriously, if you see the old map of Madras, the important street names were in Telugu. Apparently, originally, the middle-class was mostly Telugu and laborers were Tamils.

One more point - after all, the Pallavas were really Telugus. :-).

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Madras was always called 'Chennapatnam' in telugu even before it was changed to Chennai. I am sure a majority of tamilians (even the one claiming to already know it   Wink ), didn't know this and believed Chennai to be a tamil word. Else, they wouldn't be so fanatical about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Kinnera wrote:Madras was always called 'Chennapatnam' in telugu even before it was changed to Chennai. I am sure a majority of tamilians (even the one claiming to already know it   Wink ), didn't know this and believed Chennai to be a tamil word. Else, they wouldn't be so fanatical about it.

i am not fanatical about the name. most of us actually prefer the older name, but the new name seems to have caught on. amongst most chennaivasis there seems to be a divide. those who left in the 90s like me who prefer madras and have a natural tendency to use that name, and those that stayed behind who prefer chennai. either name is fine. it is irrelevant what you believe. i have always known the telugu origins of the name.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:42 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Madras was always called 'Chennapatnam' in telugu even before it was changed to Chennai. I am sure a majority of tamilians (even the one claiming to already know it   Wink ), didn't know this and believed Chennai to be a tamil word. Else, they wouldn't be so fanatical about it.

i am not fanatical about the name. most of us actually prefer the older name, but the new name seems to have caught on. amongst most chennaivasis there seems to be a divide. those who left in the 90s like me who prefer madras and have a natural tendency to use that name, and those that stayed behind who prefer chennai. either name is fine. it is irrelevant what you believe. i have always known the telugu origins of the name.
Hello? I remember you picking on  Kris when he addressed it as 'Madras'. I don't remember you using 'Madras'. It has always been 'Chennai'.

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Hello? I remember you picking on  Kris when he addressed it as 'Madras'. I don't remember you using 'Madras'. It has always been 'Chennai'.
Must you remind people of their teenage years!

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:03 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

i don't remember that exchange (doesn't mean it didn't happen). if i said that i apologize to kris. i truly don't have a strong preference except maybe when i write, when i tend to use chennai.

also:
https://such.forumotion.com/t4050-when-the-dave-brubeck-quartet-visited-madras
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 pm

"சென்னை பிறந்த கதை" - மாலை மலர்

"கிழக்கு இந்தியக் கம்பெனி தாமல் வெங்கடப்பா நாயக்கரிடம் இருந்து ஒரு சிறு நிலத்தை வாங்கி சென்னை நகரத்தை உருவாக்க காரணமாக இருந்த நாளைக் கொண்டாடுவதே சென்னை தினமாகும். 

வந்தவாசியை ஆண்ட தாமல் வெங்கடப்ப நாயக்கர், பூந்தமல்லியை ஆண்ட தாமல் அய்யப்ப நாயக்கர் ஆகிய சகோதரர்களின் தந்தை சென்னப்ப நாயக்கர் பெயரால் சென்னை அழைக்கப்படுகிறது.

தாமல் குறுநில மன்னர்கள் வன்னியர் வகுப்பினர் ஆவர். காஞ்சீபுரம் அருகில் உள்ள தாமல் கிராமத்தில் இப்போதும் பெரும்பான்மையாக இருப்பவர்கள் வன்னிய நாயக்கர்களே என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது."

------------

What the above article says is that, Chennai derives its name from Chennappa naicker, who is the father of Damal Venkatappa naicker chieftain of vandavasi, Damal ayyappa naicker, chieftain of poondamallee from whom Britishers bought the piece of land. Naickers in the north belong to the Vanniyar community which is a Tamil caste. People who are called Naickers in southern TN are telugus and that could have caused the confusion. They are called as Nayudus in Northern TN.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:30 pm

why did they replace a tamil word with a telugu word?

KV, how did you let this happen?

it is always madras nalla madras for me.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Ponniyin Selvan Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 pm

It is named after a person just like Washington.

Ponniyin Selvan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:58 pm

Ponniyin Selvan wrote:"சென்னை பிறந்த கதை" - மாலை மலர்

"கிழக்கு இந்தியக் கம்பெனி தாமல் வெங்கடப்பா நாயக்கரிடம் இருந்து ஒரு சிறு நிலத்தை வாங்கி சென்னை நகரத்தை உருவாக்க காரணமாக இருந்த நாளைக் கொண்டாடுவதே சென்னை தினமாகும். 

வந்தவாசியை ஆண்ட தாமல் வெங்கடப்ப நாயக்கர், பூந்தமல்லியை ஆண்ட தாமல் அய்யப்ப நாயக்கர் ஆகிய சகோதரர்களின் தந்தை சென்னப்ப நாயக்கர் பெயரால் சென்னை அழைக்கப்படுகிறது.

தாமல் குறுநில மன்னர்கள் வன்னியர் வகுப்பினர் ஆவர். காஞ்சீபுரம் அருகில் உள்ள தாமல் கிராமத்தில் இப்போதும் பெரும்பான்மையாக இருப்பவர்கள் வன்னிய நாயக்கர்களே என்பது குறிப்பிடத்தக்கது."

------------

What the above article says is that, Chennai derives its name from Chennappa naicker, who is the father of Damal Venkatappa naicker chieftain of vandavasi, Damal ayyappa naicker, chieftain of poondamallee from whom Britishers bought the piece of land. Naickers in the north belong to the Vanniyar community which is a Tamil caste. People who are called Naickers in southern TN are telugus and that could have caused the confusion. They are called as Nayudus in Northern TN.
Somebody will switch back to liking 'Chennai' again! Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:03 pm

what i truly abhor is the northindian doordarshan newsreader who is prone to saying chee-nAi which translates in tamil to shooing a dog. i'd rather these bozos say madras, or as they say in hindian, madh-rAs.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:23 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chennai wrote:
Three different aspects explain the origin of the name Chennai/Chennapattanam:

1. First theory explains the name that it was from the Telugu ruler Damarla Chennappa Nayakudu, Nayaka of Chandragiri and Vandavasi, father of Damarla Venkatadri Nayakudu, from whom the English acquired the town in 1639. The first official use of the name Chennai is said to be in a sale deed, dated 8 August 1639, to Francis Day of the East India Company.[13]

2. the second theory states it was named after the Chenna Kesava Perumal Temple; the word chenni in Tamil means face, with the temple regarded as the face of the city.[14]

3. Historian J B Prashant More has stated that the origin of the name "Chennai" is Telugu and not Tamil.[15]

The name Madras originated even before the British presence was established in India.[16]
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm

Telugu writers always refer to it as chennapatnam and are clear that it is a telugu word.  

Telugu and tamil are intertwined for thousands of years. So each influence the other heavily.  So there is no need to lose sleep over these kind of terms.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:25 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Is vasi a tamil word ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:28 pm

b_A wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Is vasi a tamil word ?

my sense is that it comes from 'vasiththal', meaning the act of living.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 pm

Vasi has sanskrit origins.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:51 am

>>>There were a couple of settlements, Madraspatnam and Chennapatnam. I don't know why there was a belief that somehow Madras was a foreign name that had to be Tamilized into Chennai, which is based on a person's name. I still call it Madras for the most part and refer to Bombay as Bombay. I guess the switch is easier if you are in India because you hear the new names all over the place and in the media. Is Delhi now Indraprastha?Smile

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:43 pm

How about bEjAr, a word that I have heard Tamilians use many times. It seems somewhat similar to the urdu bEzAAr but doesn't have the same meaning.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:49 pm

nevada wrote:How about bEjAr, a word that I have heard Tamilians use many times. It seems somewhat similar to the urdu bEzAAr but doesn't have the same meaning.

Kannada word.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:09 pm

nevada wrote:How about bEjAr, a word that I have heard Tamilians use many times. It seems somewhat similar to the urdu bEzAAr but doesn't have the same meaning.
Bejaar is a telugu word, used mostly in the rayalaseema region. Eg: 'Ee pillollato chaana bejaar ayipoyindi'.

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:43 pm

so how did it come about that this prosperous city with a telugu name, with a large telugu populace, with rich contributions by the telugus, ended up in the hands of the tamils?

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:46 pm

bEjAr is a madras tamil (which i suppose is the tamil equivalent of hyderabadi hindi) word which has a lot of telugu words and some possibly urdu words brought in by the muslims. it's considered somewhat of a street tongue and low brow tamil. many comic characters in tamil movies speak madras tamil.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:47 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:so how did it come about that this prosperous city with a telugu name, with a large telugu populace, with rich contributions by the telugus, ended up in the hands of the tamils?

i thought thirupathi was traded for chennai.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:56 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bEjAr is a madras tamil (which i suppose is the tamil equivalent of hyderabadi hindi) word which has a lot of telugu words and some possibly urdu words brought in by the muslims. it's considered somewhat of a street tongue and low brow tamil. many comic characters in tamil movies speak madras tamil.
No language or dialect is high brow or low brow. tambram tamil is high brow or low brow? Get off the high horse.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:02 pm

madras bashai:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_Bashai
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:03 pm

tambrahm tamil is also fodder for a lot of comedy in movies.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:05 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:tambrahm tamil is also fodder for a lot of comedy in movies.
So? what's your logic?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:06 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:madras bashai:

are they misspelling bhasha, or is bashai a tamil word?

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:20 pm

aside: max, i hit on you, i mean, i sent you a pm. did you get it?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:36 pm

bw wrote:

*in high brow thamizh mode*
maRumozhi ezhuthiuLLEn.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:42 pm

tambram hitting on in progress? Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

bAshai is how the sanskrit word bAshA is incorporated into tamil. the other non-sanskritic and more common word for language is mozhi.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:50 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

bAshai is how the sanskrit word bAshA is incorporated into tamil. the other non-sanskritic and more common word for language is mozhi.

oh ok.. it's bhasha then. भाषा. what you wrote (tamil version) is बाषा.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:

oh ok.. it's bhasha then. भाषा. what you wrote (tamil version) is बाषा.

there's no separate 'bh' and 'b' sound in tamil. but you are right it is bhAshA (expirated) in sanskrit.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

maRumozhi ezhuthiuLLEn.

you didn't spell ezhuthiuLLEn right.

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:05 pm

Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

maRumozhi ezhuthiuLLEn.

scratch
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Beatrix Kiddo wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

maRumozhi ezhuthiuLLEn.

scratch

i mean i think you didn't spell it right lol.

https://translate.google.com/#ta/en/%E0%AE%AE%E0%AE%B1%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%AE%E0%AF%8A%E0%AE%B4%E0%AE%BF%20%E0%AE%8E%E0%AE%B4%E0%AF%81%E0%AE%A4%E0%AE%BF%E0%AE%89%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%8D%E0%AE%B3%E0%AF%87%E0%AE%A9%E0%AF%8D

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:20 pm

Kinnera wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:bEjAr is a madras tamil (which i suppose is the tamil equivalent of hyderabadi hindi) word which has a lot of telugu words and some possibly urdu words brought in by the muslims. it's considered somewhat of a street tongue and low brow tamil. many comic characters in tamil movies speak madras tamil.
No language or dialect is high brow or low brow. tambram tamil is high brow or low brow? Get off the high horse.

of course there is such a thing as high brow and low brow or desirable and undesirable accents and dialects in any language. why do you think folks who want to get into showbiz painfully and at high cost try to rid themselves of regional accents like the noo yOk or bostonian or southern accents in favor of a more neutral midwest accent? likewise in britain the cockney accent is usually associated with uneducated people. do you have a problem with all that too? these things are real and can't be wished away.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next