Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nadella and immigrants in general

+3
Hellsangel
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
indophile
7 posters

Go down

Nadella and immigrants in general Empty Nadella and immigrants in general

Post by indophile Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:29 pm

Nice article in Washington Post on Satya Nadella that names a few other well known immigrants. But look at the comments after the article. They are not as approbative (same gripe H1-B floodgates opening snatching our jobs away from us) and some are downright hostile.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/02/04/america-needs-more-immigrants-like-satya-nadella-microsofts-new-ceo/

indophile

Back to top Go down

Nadella and immigrants in general Empty Re: Nadella and immigrants in general

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

indophile wrote:Nice article in Washington Post on Satya Nadella that names a few other well known immigrants. But look at the comments after the article. They are not as approbative (same gripe H1-B floodgates opening snatching our jobs away from us) and some are downright hostile.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/02/04/america-needs-more-immigrants-like-satya-nadella-microsofts-new-ceo/

His elevation can work both ways in Congress which is debating immigration reform right now. They are considering GC for PhDs, but cutting down on 480,000 H1Bs. Satya can be used as an example to encourage GC for PhDs or used as a weapon against H1B. The general public clubs all foreigners under one group and they assume everyone came through H1B (which Satya is not).

P.S. BTW, Congress will set a rank for the universities and only those PhDs from the top xx universities will be given...Not sure how that is going to pan out.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:07 pm

Immigration reform policy change is dead. At least for 2014.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Does Satya Nadella sport a Ph.D at the end of his name or a Dr. at the beginning? I don't believe he does.
Also, the top XX schools approach can cut both ways. For govt. hiring purposes (civil service), a B.S from MIT or a no name school are considered the same (as long as they are all ABET or whatever accredited). You can't have two types of standards because govt. managers might use it too to exclude no name school graduates (another kind of discrimination argument).

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:58 pm

indophile wrote:Does Satya Nadella sport a Ph.D at the end of his name or a Dr. at the beginning? I don't believe he does.
Also, the top XX schools approach can cut both ways. For govt. hiring purposes (civil service), a B.S from MIT or a no name school are considered the same (as long as they are all ABET or whatever accredited). You can't have two types of standards because govt. managers might use it too to exclude no name school graduates (another kind of discrimination argument).

Plans to tinker with the accreditation policy/method is also underway (even doing away with it.)

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm

indophile wrote:Nice article in Washington Post on Satya Nadella that names a few other well known immigrants. But look at the comments after the article. They are not as approbative (same gripe H1-B floodgates opening snatching our jobs away from us) and some are downright hostile.

Take a look around this SuCH forum. There are guys who are busy pulling down Satya because he doesn't belong to their group. If that is the case with us , it is not surprising that they are hostile to foreigners.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:34 pm

b_A wrote:

Take a look around this SuCH forum. There are guys who are busy pulling down Satya because he doesn't belong to their group. If that is the case with us , it is not surprising that they are hostile to foreigners.

I personally think Nadella is a bad choice. MS needs a new mindset, they need somebody who can shake things up. From what I understand from friends who are at MS is that he is a good technologist but not much of a visionary.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by Hellsangel Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:

I personally think Nadella is a bad choice. MS needs a new mindset, they need somebody who can shake things up. From what I understand from friends who are at MS is that he is a good technologist but not much of a visionary.

Yes. Microsoft needs someone who can lead a cult for those weak-minded cult-head worshiping sheep.
Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:42 pm

I was reading an article - you better believe it - and it occured to me. Perhaps, MS wanted someone who will be loyal and let Gates and Ballmer run the show with him as a front. Americans might have been a problem. Hence they narrowed it down to 2 Desis - who are known to kowtow any white guy - and decided Satya would be the ideal Manmhoan singh.

Gates directly taking over MS would have sent a wrong message, and this way they achieve the "eal objective" The more I think the more I am believing in this. Say Bill gates comes up with an idea and is Satya going to turn it down ? Of course, he will implement and take the fall if it failed.

Think about it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:57 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I was reading an article - you better believe it - and it occured to me. Perhaps, MS wanted someone who will be loyal and let Gates and Ballmer run the show with him as a front. Americans might have been a problem. Hence they narrowed it down to 2 Desis - who are known to kowtow any white guy - and decided Satya would be the ideal Manmhoan singh.

Gates directly taking over MS would have sent a wrong message, and this way they achieve the "eal objective" The more I think the more I am believing in this. Say Bill gates comes up with an idea and is Satya going to turn it down ? Of course, he will implement and take the fall if it failed.

Think about it.

uppili, do you do hard drugs or only soft ones like the POTUS recommended?

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by Propagandhi711 Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:09 pm

Hellsangel wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:

Yes. Microsoft needs someone who can lead a cult for those weak-minded cult-head worshiping sheep.

yeah and visionaries grow on trees, it's just a matter of picking them.

Propagandhi711

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:38 pm

Obnoxious wrote:
b_A wrote:

These visionaries and all can only work their magic when the company is small or medium sized. Once they reach the size of Microsoft , Google and Apple , it is just a matter of making sure the companies don't shrink and die. Even a Steve jobs cannot make Apple a growth company now.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:20 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:I was reading an article - you better believe it - and it occured to me. Perhaps, MS wanted someone who will be loyal and let Gates and Ballmer run the show with him as a front. Americans might have been a problem. Hence they narrowed it down to 2 Desis - who are known to kowtow any white guy - and decided Satya would be the ideal Manmhoan singh.

Think about it.

And being the biggest shareholder with most of his wealth tied up in microsoft , all that Gates worries about is someone to take the fall. Doesn't matter if the CEO screws up and his wealth vanishes with the tanking company stock.
Ok. Got it.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:37 pm

b_A wrote:

Think about it.

And being the biggest shareholder with most of his wealth tied up in microsoft , all that Gates worries about is someone to take the fall. Doesn't matter if the CEO screws up and his wealth vanishes with the tanking company stock.
Ok. Got it.
b-a
isn't amazing that people can think bill gates wants a fall guy rather than make money.from his Microsoft property?
what is wrong with satya collaborating with bill?

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down