Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic

+4
Rekz
Silly Point
Hellsangel
harharmahadev
8 posters

Go down

Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic Empty Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic

Post by harharmahadev Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:33 am

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/climate_desk/2014/02/internet_troll_personality_study_machiavellianism_narcissism_psychopathy.html

Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic 140214_CDESK_MachiavellianTraits.jpg.CROP.original-original

harharmahadev

http://www.desichatter.com

Back to top Go down

Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic Empty Re: Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic

Post by Hellsangel Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 am

Hellsangel
Hellsangel

Back to top Go down

Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic Empty Re: Science Confirms: Internet Trolls Really Are Narcissistic, Psychopathic, and Sadistic

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:59 am

Funny how ppl think that it's always the other person who is a troll, not them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:22 am

Kinnera wrote:Funny how ppl think that it's always the other person who is a troll, not them.
Haha Kinnu you are so right.. I totally agree Smile

Even without reading the article in question I propose this Theory.

People who are mean, rude and downright disrespectful to another human being using the safety of the anonymity offered by the internet, have something inherently wrong with them. I can only speak for me, but if I have a problem with what someone is saying, I will debate the idea not the person. If i had a problem with the person, which is ridiculous on an online forum, i would avoid them. I try to live my life with this motto and try and apply it on here as well.

If I like you I will speak to you, If I don't I will not purposefully put myself in situations involving you. If you annoy me, I will push back with words or in rare cases punch your lights out Very Happy

So trolls need to sit down and have a quiet word with themselves and try and figure out what is it that they get out of stalking somebody or saying things they wouldn't have the guts to say in front of the person..

*unnecessarily deep this morning*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:31 am

Silly Point wrote:
Kinnera wrote:Funny how ppl think that it's always the other person who is a troll, not them.

People who are mean, rude and downright disrespectful to another human being using the safety of the anonymity offered by the internet, have something inherently wrong with them. I can only speak for me, but if I have a problem with what someone is saying, I will debate the idea not the person. If i had a problem with the person, which is ridiculous on an online forum, i would avoid them. I try to live my life with this motto and try and apply it on here as well.

If I like you I will speak to you, If I don't I will not purposefully put myself in situations involving you. If you annoy me, I will push back with words or in rare cases punch your lights out Very Happy

So trolls need to sit down and have a quiet word with themselves and try and figure out what is it that they get out of stalking somebody or saying things they wouldn't have the guts to say in front of the person..

Krithi
Bingo! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:38 am

I *love* some sorta trolls, while I don't start them myself (I think) ... the ones involving relationships, spouses, profession, and mothers-in-law. I try my best to promote them by adding my own input. On this board, I love Mainstreet's and Rishi's trolls (non political).. in sulekha, sometimes someone would create another handle and set the board on fire. That doesn't happen any more. I miss those days, sigh.

Rest of your point (SP) regarding stalking, attacking person and not the idea - totally agree. I have attacked people, mostly as a reaction, and in some extreme cases as a last resort when I thought their cyber-bullying has crossed a limit, not that I consider myself a community guard or anything, but it has to cross my tolerance threshold and I get started. People should spread love, not pettiness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:51 am

TW, here's the definition of trolling, according to the above article.

"As defined in the article, online trolling is "the practice of behaving in a deceptive, destructive, or disruptive manner in a social setting on the Internet with no apparent instrumental purpose."
So, as opposed to cyberbullying, saying nasty things during an argument over politics or even making hateful comments that reflect the commenter's true feelings, trolls are offensive for the sheer enjoyment of it. Or, in Internet parlance, "for the lulz."
"Trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting 'hot-button issues' to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner," the article reads. "If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, 'Do not feed the trolls!'."

From wiki:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:57 am

noooo... that means no more *post bombing* from me Sad

*i really liked post bombing*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:01 am

Kinnera wrote:TW, here's the definition of trolling, according to the above article.

"As defined in the article, online trolling is "the practice of behaving in a deceptive, destructive, or disruptive manner in a social setting on the Internet with no apparent instrumental purpose."
So, as opposed to cyberbullying, saying nasty things during an argument over politics or even making hateful comments that reflect the commenter's true feelings, trolls are offensive for the sheer enjoyment of it. Or, in Internet parlance, "for the lulz."
"Trolls operate as agents of chaos on the Internet, exploiting 'hot-button issues' to make users appear overly emotional or foolish in some manner," the article reads. "If an unfortunate person falls into their trap, trolling intensifies for further, merciless amusement. This is why novice Internet users are routinely admonished, 'Do not feed the trolls!'."

From wiki:

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a forum, chat room, or blog), either accidentally[3][4] or with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[5] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[6]

yeah sorta in line with what I undersood all these years - someone who initiates posts with the intention to flame others and get people all worked up, and then whatever they continue to say on those posts is for the pure reason to flame further.

IMO, the handle who you have in mind (I think) is more of a cyberbully.

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:02 am

Silly Point wrote:noooo... that means no more *post bombing* from me Sad

Krithi

You have a problem. You need to see a shrink.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:04 am

harharmahadev wrote:

Krithi

You have a problem.  You need to see a shrink.
what?? you too? tot we were friends *sniff*

*weep*

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Rekz Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

curious to know what science got to say about people who are hideous on social community sites  Question Question
Rekz
Rekz

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:10 am

Silly Point wrote:
harharmahadev wrote:

Krithi

You have a problem.  You need to see a shrink.
what?? you too? tot we were friends *sniff*

*weep*

Krithi

I meant you should date a shrink ... you can kill two birds with one stone - mental and physical.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:44 am

Silly Point wrote:

Krithi
in my opinion lying is worse than trolling. lying, for me, is the most abhorable crime a person can commit (to me), in real or e.
someone called you fat (yes that someone is my good friend). you went ballistic, someone called you fat again. you went ballistic X 10. i'm just asking you... are you lying that you are not fat?

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Brigadier HK (Retd) wrote:
in my opinion lying is worse than trolling. lying, for me, is the most abhorable crime a person can commit (to me), in real or e.
someone called you fat (yes that someone is my good friend). you went ballistic, someone called you fat again. you went ballistic X 10. i'm just asking you... are you lying that you are not fat?  
How silly is this post.

In my opinion, anyone looking for truth or lies in posts by anonymous posters online, in some random forum, is either naive or an idiot. 

Now it doesn't mean that that you have to be an idiot, or admit or deny to being one. It just means I insulted you, and you would respond appropriately.

P.S I almost expect Rashmun to quote this at some point to you and say, 'oh btw, AN called you an idiot 2 years ago. Are you?'

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:24 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
How silly is this post.

In my opinion, anyone looking for truth or lies in posts by anonymous posters online, in some random forum, is either naive or an idiot. 

Now it doesn't mean that that you have to be an idiot, or admit or deny to being one. It just means I insulted you, and you would respond appropriately.

P.S I almost expect Rashmun to quote this at some point to you and say, 'oh btw, AN called you an idiot 2 years ago. Are you?'

Rashmin is cute that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashdoc Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:30 pm

it might be interesting to know what is harhar's opinion about people who are owners of forums that are meant for abuses and trolling . 

are sunit katkar ( owner of echarcha.com ) and the person who comes with the ID harharmahadev ( owner of desichatter.com ) psychopaths ?

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Silly Point wrote:

Krithi
I meant abominable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:49 pm

ashaNirasha wrote:
How silly is this post.

hello madam rip van winkle. those kind of forums/environments no longer exist. i am sorry to announce that such is not sulekha ch. ask me what the weather will be like in your town tomorrow and i will tell you.

Back to top Go down

Post by ashaNirasha Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:40 pm

Ok fine, this place looks like one big snoopers r us.  That weather thing would matter if I said it was a perfect 72 deg, and having fun in the sun, and you'd come back with 
-'you liar, I know it is -20 and that polar vortex blah, blah..'.  

Strike that anonymous thingy (for all you snoopers), but the rest still holds.

ashaNirasha

Back to top Go down

Post by harharmahadev Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:01 pm

ashdoc wrote:it might be interesting to know what is harhar's opinion about people who are owners of forums that are meant for abuses and trolling . 

are sunit katkar ( owner of echarcha.com ) and the person who comes with the ID harharmahadev ( owner of desichatter.com ) psychopaths ?

No. We are not psychopaths.

harharmahadev

Back to top Go down

Post by Silly Point Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:05 pm

Silly Point wrote:

Krithi

Dear Brigwhatever,

IT was the SAME PERSON.. get your facts straight.. Tell your friend to grow some inches and fight his own battles..

Again I ask the question,
How relevant is this question of yours?
Effin heck..
I can give you an answer, but then again don't see the relevance.. if the answer to that question helps you assign credibility to my posts then let me know.. so that I can tell you to EFF off as well

Krithi

Silly Point

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:16 pm

GK ke bhaiya, what does this said friend of yours call you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 am

ashaNirasha wrote:Ok fine, this place looks like one big snoopers r us.  That weather thing would matter if I said it was a perfect 72 deg, and having fun in the sun, and you'd come back with 
-'you liar, I know it is -20 and that polar vortex blah, blah..'.  

Strike that anonymous thingy (for all you snoopers), but the rest still holds.
hahaha.

as per the chart in the first post of this thread, those who lurk seem to have no personality. you don't chat either (folks with the most balanced personality, it seems, as per the chart). so start posting more. don't lurk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:25 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:GK ke bhaiya, what does this said friend of yours call you?
why? HK. and sometimes singh sahib.  Razz 

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:36 am

+ pathetic losers considering baiting people they have never met is a source of joy.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:42 am

ashaNirasha wrote:
How silly is this post.

Ahhaahaha.... Botswana girl..you are always in my top list of smarties...You are so so right....

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down