Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread)

2 posters

Go down

Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread) Empty Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread)

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:06 pm

>>> For God’s sake don’t assume all of us know Hindi and carry views of Hindi speaking politicians without English sub-titles if you call yourself an English channel.

www.tamiltribune.com/11/0501.html

Personal Encounters with Hindi Arrogance in America
P. Menon, Jeya Parasuram and Malathi

OUTLINE
1. Hindi at the Faculty Lounge (by P. Menon)
2. Hindi at an American Electronic Store (by Jeya Parasuram)
3. India TV in USA: Hindi News or Indian News (by Malathi)

India TV in USA:  Hindi News or Indian News
Malathi
This happened in the late 1980s. Unlike today, there were no Indian satellite channels available in USA at that time. There was an over-the-air UHF channel that broadcast a one-hour Indian program on Saturday afternoons. The program consisted of Hindi movie video-clips and about 15 minutes of news. I just watch the news. There were 4 newsreaders; they rotated from week to week. From their names, I think that one was a Telugu, another a Malayali and two from Hindi states. The first two always read the news in English. In contrast, the other two from Hindi states would start reading the news in English and in the middle switch to Hindi and then back to English and then to Hindi... So people like me who do not know Hindi were left with holes in the news.

I wrote to the TV station about this. Nothing happened. After waiting for a couple of moths, I wrote to the Indian grocery store and an electronic store (selling TV, videocassette recorders (VCR)) that advertised regularly in the news segment. I complained that I and many others from non-Hindi regions do not understand parts of the news, and would stop watching it and the stores would be losing audience. They are likely to attract more audience if the news is read totally in English. I received a letter a few weeks later from the electronic store that they discussed the matter with the station and that the news would be in English in the future.

This incidence shows three things: (1) The arrogance of the two new readers from Hindi states expecting that all Indians should know Hindi. (2) If we take the initiative and act, things could change when private business is involved. (3) "If at first you don't succeed, try again."

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread) Empty Re: Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread)

Post by Rishi Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Kayalvizhi wrote:>>> For God’s sake don’t assume all of us know Hindi and carry views of Hindi speaking politicians without English sub-titles if you call yourself an English channel.

www.tamiltribune.com/11/0501.html

Personal Encounters with Hindi Arrogance in America
P. Menon, Jeya Parasuram and Malathi

OUTLINE
1. Hindi at the Faculty Lounge (by P. Menon)
2. Hindi at an American Electronic Store (by Jeya Parasuram)
3. India TV in USA: Hindi News or Indian News (by Malathi)

India TV in USA:  Hindi News or Indian News
Malathi
This happened in the late 1980s. Unlike today, there were no Indian satellite channels available in USA at that time. There was an over-the-air UHF channel that broadcast a one-hour Indian program on Saturday afternoons. The program consisted of Hindi movie video-clips and about 15 minutes of news. I just watch the news. There were 4 newsreaders; they rotated from week to week. From their names, I think that one was a Telugu, another a Malayali and two from Hindi states. The first two always read the news in English. In contrast, the other two from Hindi states would start reading the news in English and in the middle switch to Hindi and then back to English and then to Hindi... So people like me who do not know Hindi were left with holes in the news.

I wrote to the TV station about this. Nothing happened. After waiting for a couple of moths, I wrote to the Indian grocery store and an electronic store (selling TV, videocassette recorders (VCR)) that advertised regularly in the news segment. I complained that I and many others from non-Hindi regions do not understand parts of the news, and would stop watching it and the stores would be losing audience. They are likely to attract more audience if the news is read totally in English. I received a letter a few weeks later from the electronic store that they discussed the matter with the station and that the news would be in English in the future.

This incidence shows three things: (1) The arrogance of the two new readers from Hindi states expecting that all Indians should know Hindi. (2) If we take the initiative and act, things could change when private business is involved. (3) "If at first you don't succeed, try again."

>>> KV,

You are absolutely correct. There is a fellow called Raghubir Goyal, a NI nutcase who used to come on a saturday UHF channel show called Darshan. He is a Hindi fanatic. He said every NRI should speak to his kid in Hindi at home. "Don't tell me you don't know Hindi. I know you watch Hindi movies," he blabbered.

The Bush white house used to invite for Press briefings. They used him to divert hard questions. Whenever some Mainstream reporter asked a tough question, the white house press secretary will signal Goyal who will ask some silly questions about American policy towards Pakistan.

He publishes some rag called India Globe.

http://www.composure1.com/goyal/goyal.html

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/sleuth/2009/03/wacky_wafers_in_the_white_hous.html

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4756338

http://sepiamutiny.com/blog/2008/05/19/raghubir_goyal/

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread) Empty Re: Teach NDTV lesson (a matter discussed in a early thread)

Post by Kayalvizhi Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 pm

Rishi, Thanks for information.

Kayalvizhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down