Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out

+4
Maria S
Rishi
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
nevada
8 posters

Go down

Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out Empty Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out

Post by nevada Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

Do you agree with the punishment?

http://www.newser.com/story/183256/acid-thrower-in-iran-to-have-eyes-gouged.html

Newser) – A state-run newspaper in Iran reports that a sadistic criminal will get a sadistic punishment. An Iranian court has ruled that a man who poured acid on a girl's face will have his eyes gouged out, says the report in Shraq, as noted by the opposition group National Council of Resistance of Iran. The ruling also orders that the criminal's nose and right ear be cut off as punishment for blinding and disfiguring his victim.

The NCRI calls the punishment "inhuman" and says it is another example of human rights abuses going unchecked in the country, even under new President Hasan Rouhani. Haaretz takes note of another punishment last month in which a court ordered that a man's hand and foot be cut off for an unspecified crime. Meanwhile, the number of executions this year in Iran already has hit about 90, prompting the UN human rights office to call for a moratorium.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out Empty Re: Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:08 am

fantastic and appropriate punishment...

I hope Indian Govt passes a law like this.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out Empty Re: Acid thrower in Iran to have eyes gouged out

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm

The NCRI calls the punishment "inhuman" and says it is another example of human rights abuses going unchecked in the country, even under new President Hasan Rouhani.

>>>Did the acid thrower think about the human rights of his victim to lead a full life?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Rishi wrote:The NCRI calls the punishment "inhuman" and says it is another example of human rights abuses going unchecked in the country, even under new President Hasan Rouhani.

>>>Did the acid thrower think about the human rights of his victim to lead a full life?

Oh...it is fashionable to support the criminals bcz then people will think very highly of them for being considerate even towards the most violent criminals...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Maria S Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 pm

In my view, "physical punishment" is certainly part of seeking justice for a victim of such a gruesome crime. I am not what is "appropriate". If I am the judge or on the jury panel, would certainly look at each individual case, in depth, *especially seek input from the victim.

Speaking of victims-survivors of acid-throwing..read about a remarkable lady Ms. Laxmi. Her efforts to go and do something more about it, apart from her own pain and suffering, is certainly deserving of the recognition.

US honours Indian acid attack victim with International Women of Courage Award

http://www.ndtv.com/article/india/us-honours-indian-acid-attack-victim-with-international-women-of-courage-award-491433
Maria S
Maria S

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:19 pm

OMG, is all I want to say. btw, how are they going to execute this punishment? never mind. Hollywood will soon make a movie on these lines.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:20 pm

I think the punishment is gruesome but if it deters would be acid throwers, then it will serve  a purpose.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:34 pm

my daughter was working on a cook report on ancient civilizations and she wrote about Hammurabi and his code wrt ancient Mesopotamia. The Code of Hammurabi set the precedent for codified and recorded laws. She ended that it does not really have any practical relevance today. I wonder if I need to ask her make a change in her last statement :-)

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:01 pm

Impedimenta wrote:OMG, is all I want to say. btw, how are they going to execute this punishment? never mind. Hollywood will soon make a movie on these lines.

based on a true story...

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:28 pm

nevada wrote:I think the punishment is gruesome but if it deters would be acid throwers, then it will serve  a purpose.

i will never understand why people who grew up in a largely free society devoid of such atavistic and inhumane practices so readily embrace such primitive punishment. if inhumane punishment deters crimes against women why are there more crimes against women in precisely those places and fewer crimes in more civilized places?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:09 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
nevada wrote:I think the punishment is gruesome but if it deters would be acid throwers, then it will serve  a purpose.

i will never understand why people who grew up in a largely free society devoid of such atavistic and inhumane practices so readily embrace such primitive punishment. if inhumane punishment deters crimes against women why are there more crimes against women in precisely those places and fewer crimes in more civilized places?
Then (may be on the same logic or related), why so modern and/or civilized society in US despite knowing/experiencing the gun violence/statistics, doesnot have the backbone to ban guns?

Cruelty/inhumane punishment  is relative. What one can see as  cruel can be normal to others.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:31 pm

FluteHolder wrote:
MaxEntropy_Man wrote:

Then (may be on the same logic or related), why so modern and/or civilized society in US despite knowing/experiencing the gun violence/statistics, doesnot have the backbone to ban guns?

Cruelty/inhumane punishment  is relative. What one can see as  cruel can be normal to others.

we are talking about state sanctioned retribution for a heinous crime. i am not sure how gun control and stronger gun laws (which i have always supported), figure into this.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by FluteHolder Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:37 pm

In both cases, those who rule/govern are selected/chosen by the people. Just bcz the ppl donot have enough will to stop guns doesnot allow that problem is less serious than other punishment. Since US citizens (majority think that guns are okay), similarly the other society feels that punishment is not a big deal.

FluteHolder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down