Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi.

+5
nevada
bw
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Merlot Daruwala
Rishi
9 posters

Go down

You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi. Empty You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi.

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 pm

http://www.firstpost.com/world/us-couple-fined-for-smuggling-chickpeas-popcorn-from-india-1374187.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down

You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi. Empty Re: You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi.

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 am

I don't understand. Raw chickpeas may be a biological hazard, but how can "chickpea popcorn" (whatever that means) be a hazard? The popping process would have killed any pest or disease...
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi. Empty Re: You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi.

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:29 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:I don't understand. Raw chickpeas may be a biological hazard, but how can "chickpea popcorn" (whatever that means) be a hazard? The popping process would have killed any pest or disease...

It is not just to protect from pests and disease but also preventing Genetically altered peas and derivatives from entering the country.

These are delicious snacks made in several types...dry roasted or oil fried...Oil friend ones are no no...

Here is a picture...

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:33 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:I don't understand. Raw chickpeas may be a biological hazard, but how can "chickpea popcorn" (whatever that means) be a hazard? The popping process would have killed any pest or disease...

It is not just to protect from pests and disease but also preventing Genetically altered peas and derivatives from entering the country.

These are delicious snacks made in several types...dry roasted or oil fried...Oil friend ones are no no...

Here is a picture...

Upps Aunty, once it is fried or roasted, it is no longer an active agricultural product - it's just food. I can't help wonder about the education levels of folks who monitor these things at the airports.
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:38 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Here is a picture...

Upps Aunty, once it is fried or roasted, it is no longer an active agricultural product - it's just food. I can't help wonder about the education levels of folks who monitor these things at the airports.

Gaywala: once the rules and guidelines are established, the chota babus simply follow the letter without any room for "flexibility" Unless the food is bottled and sealed - say Amla pickle bottle - any other food item is likely to cause problems.

Next time when you travel to the US to visit your Gay partner, carry some pickle in a ziploc and ask the customs agent about it.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:14 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Here is a picture...

"Customs and Border Police (CBP) seized 25 pounds of chickpeas and five pounds of popcorn with green curry leaves from the couple, who tried to sneak in these product unauthorisedly in seven of the eight bags they were bringing from India.
"

chickpeas and popcorn with curry leaves, not popped chickpeas.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:37 am

bw wrote:
"Customs and Border Police (CBP) seized 25 pounds of chickpeas and five pounds of popcorn with green curry leaves from the couple, who tried to sneak in these product unauthorisedly in seven of the eight bags they were bringing from India.
"

EIGHT Bags ????? in this day and age? Guess they wanted to save "mega dollars" by bring these from India.

perhaps, they brought these for their 4 doctor sons and 2wall street Looting daughters.

Chickpeas from India are prohibited due to the possible introduction of harmful plant diseases and insect pests, such as the highly destructive Khapra beetle, the statement said.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 am

bw wrote:
"

EIGHT Bags ????? in this day and age? Guess they wanted to save "mega dollars" by bring these from India.  

perhaps, they brought these for their 4 doctor sons and 2wall street Looting daughters.

Chickpeas from India are prohibited due to the possible introduction of harmful plant diseases and insect pests, such as the highly destructive Khapra beetle, the statement said.

maybe they own a store.

masala popcorn with curry leaves - never had those!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Putting the conspiracy hat on - could these guys be a smoke screen for some other  smuggling at the same time? Couple walks in like a sitting duck with suitcases filled with easily detectable crap, agents get busy with them, and let go of some people without even checking their bags thoroughly.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:36 pm

nevada wrote:Putting the conspiracy hat on - could these guys be a smoke screen for some other  smuggling at the same time? Couple walks in like a sitting duck with suitcases filled with easily detectable crap, agents get busy with them, and let go of some people without even checking their bags thoroughly.

dude, the above is from a thamizh movie. I don't remember which one but it is from one  Very Happy just saying.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 pm

bw wrote:
Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Here is a picture...

"

don't get it. why would anyone bring in curry leaves from india? it grows so well here, anywhere.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Here is a picture...

This couple had declared verbally or on the U.S. entry form that they had no food items, processed or unprocessed. That was the main violation on their part.
Anyway, here is what the above news item says about the ban on certain foods from India, "chickpeas from India are prohibited due to the possible introduction of harmful plant diseases and insect pests, such as the highly destructive Khapra beetle."
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 pm

Impedimenta wrote:

don't get it. why would anyone bring in curry leaves from india? it grows so well here, anywhere.

it was popcorn seasoned with curry leaves. by the way, do curry plants (trees?) survive winter? i thought they thrive only in tropical conditions.

here's a picture of their stash.

You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi. Chickpea-300x225

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:32 am

bw wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

it was popcorn seasoned with curry leaves. by the way, do curry plants (trees?) survive winter? i thought they thrive only in tropical conditions.

You can take desi out of India. But you cannot take India out of desi. Chickpea-300x225

the one that my friend has in her home survives any type of weather. she also attends to it properly, keeping it out in the sun [as much as possible during winter] and putting it back in the house other times. She has white light as well just for that and her few other indoor plants. she uses warm water instead of cold and bunch of other things to make sure the curry leaf plant survives winter. I get my stash from her  Very Happy

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by southindian Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:30 am

Merlot Daruwala wrote:

Here is a picture...

Gaywala: once the rules and guidelines are established, the chota babus simply follow the letter without any room for "flexibility"  Unless the food is bottled and sealed - say Amla pickle bottle - any other food item is likely to cause problems.

Next time when you travel to the US to visit your Gay partner, carry some pickle in a ziploc and ask the customs agent about it.
Not entirely true.

Gaywala can bring ANY type of pickle to US in his checked in luggage. Why just gay, even normal people can do that.

I bring all pickles and food items sealed with my checked-in luggage. I declare that I have processed food. Never had any problem at customs.
southindian
southindian

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:37 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
the one that my friend has in her home survives any type of weather. she also attends to it properly, keeping it out in the sun [as much as possible during winter] and putting it back in the house other times. She has white light as well just for that and her few other indoor plants. she uses warm water instead of cold and bunch of other things to make sure the curry leaf plant survives winter. I get my stash from her  Very Happy

way too much effort.

you have the smarter deal! Smile

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Merlot Daruwala Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:51 am

bw wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Couldn't the imbeciles tell roasted chickpeas from raw ones?? Why is it dragging along even now? Surely there must be someone higher up in Border Control with sufficient brains to make out this is food and not an agricultural import??
Merlot Daruwala
Merlot Daruwala

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Merlot Daruwala wrote:
bw wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:

Couldn't the imbeciles tell roasted chickpeas from raw ones?? Why is it dragging along even now? Surely there must be someone higher up in Border Control with sufficient brains to make out this is food and not an agricultural import??

Whoever caught this Desi couple must have broken up with a Desi partner, and the customER is just using the "discretionary" power and judgement to harass the 25-lb popcorn smuggler.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:31 pm

Rishi wrote:http://www.firstpost.com/world/us-couple-fined-for-smuggling-chickpeas-popcorn-from-india-1374187.html

If you guys did not know this already (well known in this area); in IAD airport, for last few years a female CBP officer who is of Naarth Indian origin has been targeting people of Indian origin specifically. She particularly looks for food items like pickles, homemade snacks.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down