Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

5 posters

Go down

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Empty Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Post by Rishi Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:23 pm

http://daytonabeach.erau.edu/coe/aerospace-engineering/faculty/index.html

>>> I have never heard of any ABCD attending this school. But you always hear from Aviation experts in this school whenever there is an Airplane disaster.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Empty Re: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Rishi wrote:http://daytonabeach.erau.edu/coe/aerospace-engineering/faculty/index.html

>>> I have never heard of any ABCD attending this school. But you always hear from Aviation experts in this school whenever there is an Airplane disaster.

This is a VERY highly regarded private non-PhD university. There are tons of ABCDs who go for undergraduate and then end up at top universities for PhD. That is why you dont hear about the school.

Kettering, Embry-Riddle, Olin, Lafayette, harvey Mudd, Rose-Hulman, and Obispo are very highly regarded undergraduate engineering schools. Graduates from these schools get Jobs, admission to top graduate programs, and graduate fellowships more easily.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University Empty Re: Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:33 pm

The Univ. has a guy named Dr. Ebenezer P. Gnanamanickam on faculty? Is his last name SI?
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:The Univ. has a guy named Dr. Ebenezer P. Gnanamanickam on faculty? Is his last name SI?

Tamil Christian.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:05 pm

i know someone whose son (an ABCD, almost, nearly) attended this university, got a double major, but couldn't find a job in aviation.

all that came out of it was his mom being saddled with a loan of ~200K.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:11 pm

bw wrote:i know someone whose son (an ABCD, almost, nearly) attended this university, got a double major, but couldn't find a job in aviation.

So aviation industry has 70% mechanical engineers. All the rest put together counts for the 30%.

Many high schoolers have no clue what the so-called aviation industry is and what they do with their BS degree. Someone did not advise the ABCD properly. He should go do his MS in flight controls/automation or space industry (orbital mechanics and zero-gravity issues) to really work in an "aero-space" job. All other jobs in that industry can be done by many non-aero engineers. There are only 4 distinct (almost) engineering fields: Electrical, Civil, mechanical, Chemical. All the rest are a mixture of these 4 (including the so-called bioengineering).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
bw wrote:i know someone whose son (an ABCD, almost, nearly) attended this university, got a double major, but couldn't find a job in aviation.

So aviation industry has 70% mechanical engineers.  All the rest put together counts for the 30%.

Many high schoolers have no clue what the so-called aviation industry is and what they do with their BS degree. Someone did not advise the ABCD properly.  He should go do his MS in flight controls/automation or space industry (orbital mechanics and zero-gravity issues) to really work in an "aero-space" job. All other jobs in that industry can be done by many non-aero engineers. There are only 4 distinct (almost) engineering fields: Electrical, Civil, mechanical, Chemical.  All the rest are a mixture of these 4 (including the so-called bioengineering).

>>>What about textile engineering?

Just kidding.

In India, you find every third rate engineering college offering courses in Instrumentation engineering, Aeronautical Engineering, Production Engineering etc.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:01 pm

So aviation industry has 70% mechanical engineers.  All the rest put together counts for the 30%.

Many high schoolers have no clue what the so-called aviation industry is and what they do with their BS degree. Someone did not advise the ABCD properly.  He should go do his MS in flight controls/automation or space industry (orbital mechanics and zero-gravity issues) to really work in an "aero-space" job. All other jobs in that industry can be done by many non-aero engineers. There are only 4 distinct (almost) engineering fields: Electrical, Civil, mechanical, Chemical.  All the rest are a mixture of these 4 (including the so-called bioengineering).

Lesson for me: if any kid of mine says they wanna go into aviation, I will make sure I don't cosign any student loan.

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:21 pm

saamiyar avargale, did not claim in your previous post that graduates from this school find jobs more easily? now, they should do an MS to be marketable?

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:27 pm

bw wrote:

saamiyar avargale, did not claim in your previous post that graduates from this school find jobs more easily? now, they should do an MS to be marketable?

yes... but most fresh graduates are not too picky. but if this guy is bent on only an 'Aviation job' then he will have a tough time. In fact, the first job, very few can afford to be too picky - unless he is a class topper. The chances are he is not. Most class toppers tend to go for higher studies.

Even now, if this guy is willing to go to any "reasonable" engineering job he will get one fairly easily - that too, if his GPA is > 3. This is where the four traditional majors have an advantage. their "job markets (or Scope..Razz)" are much bigger. The aircraft industry going down with no light at the end of the tunnel, this is not a great field. There are a lot of otehr downside to this field.

Textile is not a bad field to be in - with a MS in polymer, Chemical, materials they can move on to better prospects. anyone in these fields, the key is to be flexible and not just listen to their "buddies"

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:33 am

Tracy Whitney wrote:

Lesson for me: if any kid of mine says they wanna go into aviation, I will make sure I don't cosign any student loan.

>>>If the kid is not sure what he/she wants to do, have them get their feet wet at the local state school or even junior college. Once they figure their interest out (which usually they will), they can transfer or (later) go to a good grad school. Just make sure they get a few marketable skills along the way. There are all kinds of horror stories of doing badly or changing to same fanciful major at the behest of some friend or even 'do your own' thing counselor and you are left holding the bag later.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down