Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ?

+2
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
rawemotions
6 posters

Go down

Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ? Empty Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ?

Post by rawemotions Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:47 am

http://www.thehindu.com/news/national/tamil-nadu/whats-behind-the-whopping-numbers/article4769975.ece?ref=sliderNews

rawemotions

Back to top Go down

Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ? Empty Re: Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ?

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:02 am

Perhaps, you don't know what they know very well. Aeronautical Graduates are the hottest for code coolie jobs.

It is very common for high schoolers to fall for anything sounding 'high tech' computers, space, aircrafts and rockets. it is only after they get in that they realize their "scope" is very narrow and regret. If at all they can change they shift - as in US.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ? Empty Re: Why this sudden zeal for Aeronautical Engg ?

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 01, 2013 8:57 am

At my workplace, there was a kid who was doing summer internship. She was doing inventory of all the computers in the division I worked. It seems she is studying to be an aeronautical engineer at Georgia Tech.

I asked her to list the four forces which are present during the flight of an aircraft. She could come up with only two.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:39 am

Rishi wrote:At my workplace, there was a kid who was doing summer internship. She was doing inventory of all the computers in the division I worked. It seems she is studying to be an aeronautical engineer at Georgia Tech.

I asked her to list the four forces which are present during the flight of an aircraft. She could come up with only two.
what are those four forces, rishi?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:49 am

Thrust, drag, gravity and lift.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:14 am

Rishi wrote:Thrust, drag, gravity and lift.
which ones did the intern mention?

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:20 am

Jeremiah Mburuburu wrote:

Gravity and lift.

I will have to give her a break.

She told me that she had just switched her major to Aeronautical Engineering.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeremiah Mburuburu Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:26 am

Rishi wrote:

Gravity and lift.
i wonder if drag and lift are two components of the same force.

Jeremiah Mburuburu

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:30 am

Rishi wrote:

Gravity and lift.

http://www.fi.edu/flight/own2/forces.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 am

Rishi wrote:

Gravity and lift.

both have the same physical origin, fluid flow over a solid surface. lift is caused by differing air velocities on the top and bottom of an airfoil (cross section of the airplane wing) inducing a pressure differential across the airfoil, i.e. the bernoulli effect. drag is just your basic viscous momentum transport (friction) in action.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:38 am

Rishi wrote:

Gravity and lift.
Certainly.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:43 am

here is a nice explainer:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/space/lift-drag.html
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:54 am

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
Rishi wrote:

Gravity and lift.

both have the same physical origin, fluid flow over a solid surface. lift is caused by differing air velocities on the top and bottom of an airfoil (cross section of the airplane wing) inducing a pressure differential across the airfoil, i.e. the bernoulli effect. drag is just your basic viscous momentum transport (friction) in action.

That only accounts for the Skin friction. In airfoil, the major drag force is the "form drag"

It is the difference when one carried a large poster board against wind with the edge facing the wind and the big surface (len x width) facing the wind. In both cases, the skin friction is the same while the form drag is a MAJOR force when the surface faces the wind (it is the difference between the stagnation pressure at the front and the 'vacuum" created on the back side of the poster (or rear of the airfoil).

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down