Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If there are 100 million women like her, India can become a super power

3 posters

Go down

If there are 100 million women like her,  India can become a super power Empty If there are 100 million women like her, India can become a super power

Post by Rishi Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:41 pm

The wedding reception was under way, relatives were trickling in and inspecting the buffet. Suddenly a quarrel erupted over the biryani that was served. The groom's family took exception to the chicken biryani that was on the menu. They wanted mutton biryani and entered into an argument with the bride's family. As emotions ran high in Shaadi Mahal, a young voice spoke out loud and clear. It was the feisty bride, conveying her decision not to marry the man.

"The wedding date was fixed about 20 days ago, I had not even seen him earlier. They hurried with the wedding as 'he' had to fly back to the Middle East at the earliest," the girl told TOI.

It was not just the fight over biryani, she says. The alliance itself seemed a recipe for disaster, she says in hindsight. "My family also had doubts about his moral character and that set me thinking. Finally, the biryani episode settled it and I knew I would not have been happy in the relationship ."

She recalled walking straight to the KG Halli police station to save herself from what she believed would have been an unhappy marriage. "My parents accompanied me and the police had promised this would not become public," she said, disappointed over a section of the media having taken her name.

"I have been let down by the police and fear social stigma," she said. But that hasn't stopped the brave girl from moving on with life. "Right now, I have decided to go ahead with my studies and not think of marriage," she said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Feisty-Bangalore-bride-rejects-groom-over-biryani-tantrum/articleshow/31893369.cms?intenttarget=no

Rishi

Back to top Go down

If there are 100 million women like her,  India can become a super power Empty Re: If there are 100 million women like her, India can become a super power

Post by michelle2 Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:26 am

Rishi wrote:The wedding reception was under way, relatives were trickling in and inspecting the buffet. Suddenly a quarrel erupted over the biryani that was served. The groom's family took exception to the chicken biryani that was on the menu. They wanted mutton biryani and entered into an argument with the bride's family. As emotions ran high in Shaadi Mahal, a young voice spoke out loud and clear. It was the feisty bride, conveying her decision not to marry the man.

"The wedding date was fixed about 20 days ago, I had not even seen him earlier. They hurried with the wedding as 'he' had to fly back to the Middle East at the earliest," the girl told TOI.

It was not just the fight over biryani, she says. The alliance itself seemed a recipe for disaster, she says in hindsight. "My family also had doubts about his moral character and that set me thinking. Finally, the biryani episode settled it and I knew I would not have been happy in the relationship ."

She recalled walking straight to the KG Halli police station to save herself from what she believed would have been an unhappy marriage. "My parents accompanied me and the police had promised this would not become public," she said, disappointed over a section of the media having taken her name.

"I have been let down by the police and fear social stigma," she said. But that hasn't stopped the brave girl from moving on with life. "Right now, I have decided to go ahead with my studies and not think of marriage," she said.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bangalore/Feisty-Bangalore-bride-rejects-groom-over-biryani-tantrum/articleshow/31893369.cms?intenttarget=no
sir,

by what mechanism can 100 million indian women refusing to marry men who are not suitable husbands turn india into a superpower?

is such a refusal equivalent to working to produce valuable products, saving, investing in plant and equipment, inventing new technologies, developing new products and processes, raising productivity, and continuing an upward spiral in indians' standard of living?

ennanGa? connection ennandru sollunga.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

If there are 100 million women like her,  India can become a super power Empty Re: If there are 100 million women like her, India can become a super power

Post by Rishi Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:23 am

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:The wedding reception was under way, relatives were trickling in and inspecting the buffet. Suddenly a quarrel erupted over the biryani that was served. The groom's family took exception to the chicken biryani that was on the menu. They wanted mutton biryani and entered into an argument with the bride's family. As emotions ran high in Shaadi Mahal, a young voice spoke out loud and clear. It was the feisty bride, conveying her decision not to marry the man.

sir,

by what mechanism can 100 million indian women refusing to marry men who are not suitable husbands turn india into a superpower?

is such a refusal equivalent to working to produce valuable products, saving, investing in plant and equipment, inventing new technologies, developing new products and processes, raising productivity, and continuing an upward spiral in indians' standard of living?

>>>This girl is quite intelligent, educated and aware of her rights. She thinks clearly and logically under stress. Not only that she is bold in executing her decisions. She is in tune with the modern world. A go-getter like that will chart her own furure whether starting her own company or climbing the corporate ladder. A 100 million of them will certainly make India a modern and productive nation.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:48 am

This girl / bride might have overreacted in having the wedding / marriage cancelled over a small tiff involving her potential in-laws (or others) in the wedding party overreacting to the type of biryani served in the marriage reception.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 am

Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

sir,

>>>This girl is quite intelligent, educated and... is in tune with the modern world.
and you say that because, as TOI says, "The bride had no clue about the groom until the wedding day?"

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:51 am

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

sir,

>>>This girl is quite intelligent, educated and... is in tune with the modern world.
and you say that because, as TOI says, "The bride had no clue about the groom until the wedding day?"

>>>I know quite a few well educated Indian women. Some of them are doctors; some have Ph.D in fields like Math, Physics etc. They are intelligent and in fact some of them are brilliant. But they hardly had any clue about the fellows they were going to marry. All of the women I am talking about simply married the guys their parents thought would make good husbands for their daughters. These women were trapped by the culture they were brought up with

This girl also trusted her parents. But she at least stood up and refused to marry the guy. And she did not succumb to the fear of social stigma. So there is at least some hope.

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:04 pm

Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

sir,

>>>I know quite a few well educated Indian women. Some of them are doctors; some have Ph.D in fields like Math, Physics etc. They are intelligent and in fact some of them are brilliant. But they hardly had any clue about the fellows they were going to marry. All of the women I am talking about simply married the guys their parents thought would make good husbands for their daughters. These women were trapped by the culture they were brought up with

This girl also trusted her parents. But she at least stood up and refused to marry the guy. And she did not succumb to the fear of social stigma. So there is at least some hope.
according to you, the women who are doctors and ph.d.s trusted their parents and married the men the parents chose for them; the bangalore girl (bg) of the t.o.i. report also trusted her parents and married the man they chose for her; therefore, bg is also intelligent!

what you are missing is:

1. the degrees that the women who are doctors and ph.d.s were awarded constitute some evidence that they are intelligent; there is no such evidence of bg's intelligence;

2. the doctors and ph.d. women took responsibility for the trust they placed in their parents, and remained married, at least on the day of the wedding; but bg broke her word and acted irresponsibly when she fled from the groom she had earlier accepted, because of a petty, biryani dispute.

remember: i questioned your notion that 100 million indian women refusing to marry men who are not suitable husbands can turn india into a superpower. it is you who asserted that bg is intelligent; i had said nothing about her intelligence. i'll now add this: bg is immature, irresponsible, naive, erratic in behaviour, and possibly unintelligent. your enthusiasm for her is misplaced.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rishi Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:23 pm

michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
sir,

according to you, the women who are doctors and ph.d.s trusted their parents and married the men the parents chose for them; the bangalore girl (bg) of the t.o.i. report also trusted her parents and married the man they chose for her; therefore, bg is also intelligent!

what you are missing is:

1. the degrees that the women who are doctors and ph.d.s were awarded constitute some evidence that they are intelligent; there is no such evidence of bg's intelligence;

2. the doctors and ph.d. women took responsibility for the trust they placed in their parents, and remained married, at least on the day of the wedding; but bg broke her word and acted irresponsibly when she fled from the groom she had earlier accepted, because of a petty, biryani dispute.

remember: i questioned your notion that 100 million indian women refusing to marry men who are not suitable husbands can turn india into a superpower. it is you who asserted that bg is intelligent; i had said nothing about her intelligence. i'll now add this: bg is immature, irresponsible, naive, erratic in behaviour, and possibly unintelligent. your enthusiasm for her is misplaced.

Michelle2

Was it not the groom's family which acted petty and behaved in an immature manner when they started a fight over biriyani? Is it not perfectly reasonable for bg to wonder whether it would be wise to get into a long term relationship with them? Don't you think she made a good decision based on how they behaved on day 1?

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:24 pm

Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:
michelle2 wrote:
Rishi wrote:

what you are missing is:

Michelle2

Was it not the groom's family which acted petty and behaved in an immature manner when they started a fight over biriyani? Is it not perfectly reasonable for bg to wonder whether it would be wise to get into a long term relationship with them? Don't you think she made a good decision based on how they behaved on day 1?
bg made an unintelligent decision on day -20 when she agreed to marry the man without knowing anything about him or seeing him; she again made an unintelligent and unethical decision - she broke her promise - when she decided to flee. (the groom's father may have been quarrelsome, but the groom may have been a fine person.) a moral of the story that bg should learn is: a biriyani dispute is not = a marriage.

now explain:

1. what evidence you have that bg is intelligent or "in tune with the modern world";

2. how 100 million indian women refusing to marry men who are not suitable husbands can turn india into a superpower.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down