Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The nuclear black swan

Go down

The nuclear black swan  Empty The nuclear black swan

Post by sambarvada Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:31 pm

http://www.indiatogether.org/2011/mar/rkr-swan.htm

<P align=justify>The point of a black swan event is that it cannot be predicted. Since we cannot predict such complex events and their consequences, we can only do one of two things: plan for the worst case scenario as we imagine it to be and endure the meltdown when our imagination fails or stop ourselves from going down a path that might (however unlikely it may be) lead to a catastrophe.
<P align=justify>I believe that we should stay away from black swan events of our own creation. We cannot predict earthquakes perfectly; neither can we get our trains to be eighteen seconds late or your money back. In the absence of such precision, I think it is fitting that we act humbly, and stress the potential dangers. It is time to scale back the naked self-interest being displayed in the name of science.
If the situation were different, I wouldn't expect a political and techno-scientific class acting in its own self-interest to step back from a potential disaster. But the cloud of nuclear cataclysm is no ordinary danger; if a Chernobyl-like event happens in India, the consequences for the political class will be as much of a black swan as the event itself. Some events are so horrendous that it is better not to risk them at all. Why play with the nuclear fire?

sambarvada

Back to top Go down