Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introducing Indian food to boyfriend

+12
swapna
bw
pravalika nanda
MaxEntropy_Man
nevada
indophile
seven
michelle2
Vakavaka Pakapaka
ashdoc
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
Obnoxious
16 posters

Go down

Introducing Indian food to boyfriend Empty Introducing Indian food to boyfriend

Post by Obnoxious Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:51 pm

I am dating this guy who is English Aussie (No food culture). This guy doesnt know samosa from a pakoda. He seems to like whatever I make except for curd rice. Any tips about how I can introduce him make him like Indian food (not the restaurant garbage but real food)?

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Introducing Indian food to boyfriend Empty Re: Introducing Indian food to boyfriend

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Obnoxious wrote:I am dating this guy who is English Aussie (No food culture). This guy doesnt know samosa from a pakoda. He seems to like whatever I make except for curd rice. Any tips about how I can introduce him make him like Indian food (not the restaurant garbage but real food)?

Start by introducing him to "dry" snacks and foods. let him get used to them and he will want to try new items slowly on his own.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Introducing Indian food to boyfriend Empty Re: Introducing Indian food to boyfriend

Post by ashdoc Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:05 pm

introduce him to tangdi kabab and tandoori chicken . make a man out of him . dont introduce him to the vegetarian food that indians usually eat for it will make him weak and effeminate like hindus and jains .

ashdoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:06 pm

May be, introduce him to "avial" first and gradually graduate him to Rajasthani chilli paneer and Guntur korivikhaaram.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:26 pm

ashdoc wrote:introduce him to tangdi kabab and tandoori chicken . make a man out of him . dont introduce him to the vegetarian food that indians usually eat for it will make him weak and effeminate like hindus and jains .
He like me is a vegetarian.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Obnoxious wrote:I am dating this guy who is English Aussie (No food culture). This guy doesnt know samosa from a pakoda. He seems to like whatever I make except for curd rice. Any tips about how I can introduce him make him like Indian food (not the restaurant garbage but real food)?
make food that has the usual mix of spices in it, except for: the red chili powder, the dried, whole, red chili, and any other form of red chili; reduce the amount of red chili to 20% - even 10% - of the usual. you can continue to use the regular amount of green chilies, but completely remove their seeds; it's the seeds that make green chilies taste hot. removing them will render them harmless to pale men, but still flavourful. 

furthermore, do not leave whole spices, e.g. cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon sticks, in the food. remove them after the dish is made. pale skin somehow obliges westerners to bite into large pieces of whole spice; they just can't learn to leave them alone.

even you may like food that's less hot, but still indian, spicy, and full of flavours.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:53 pm

michelle2 wrote:
make food that has the usual mix of spices in it, except for: the red chili powder, the dried, whole, red chili, and any other form of red chili; reduce the amount of red chili to 20% - even 10% - of the usual. you can continue to use the regular amount of green chilies, but completely remove their seeds; it's the seeds that make green chilies taste hot. removing them will render them harmless to pale men, but still flavourful. 

furthermore, do not leave whole spices, e.g. cardamom pods, cloves, and cinnamon sticks, in the food. remove them after the dish is made. pale skin somehow obliges westerners to bite into large pieces of whole spice; they just can't learn to leave them alone.

even you may like food that's less hot, but still indian, spicy, and full of flavours.

Michelle - are you allergic to a lot of things like rice, wheat, grass, pollens, dairy n such?
Just curious.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:57 pm

It really depends on where he is today. If he likes sweets more, start there. If he likes spicy food, start with sth mild n see how far he can go depending on his response ofcoz.

Happy cooking!

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:58 pm

seven wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Michelle - are you allergic to a lot of things like rice, wheat, grass, pollens, dairy n such?
Just curious.
as far as i know, i am allergic only to milk, cream, and foods containing them. i am not allergic to yoghurt or cheese.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:09 pm

Ok cool. Thanks for sharing.

I know a guy who is allergic to everything. Most things. And he hates cloves bay leafs n other whole spices left as is.
I think it's because he's allergic to so many things, he's easily irritable.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:24 pm

seven wrote:Ok cool. Thanks for sharing.

I know a guy who is allergic to everything. Most things. And he hates cloves bay leafs n other whole spices left as is.
i said what i did about spices that are left in their whole form in indian food because westerners just don't know that they're not intended to be bitten into, and that if one unintentionally does, they don't bite back or kill. they are the cause of considerable puzzlement and pain to westerners.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:26 pm

Depends on how ignorant & adventurous he is. I have seen some Americans at Indian restaurant buffets serving themselves oodles of achars and hot chutneys and other hot condiments thinking those are like other curries -- and relishing them too.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Puris. You can't go wrong with them. Make them for him. He'll love them for sure.

Dosas and vadas should be a hit too.

And then try lemon rice, tamarind rice, potato fry, tindora fry...

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:32 pm

and mirapakaya-bajji (hari-mirchi pakora).  Smile

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:48 pm

michelle2 wrote:
as far as i know, i am allergic only to milk, cream, and foods containing them. i am not allergic to yoghurt or cheese.

Lactose intolerance...ye? So you eat a couple of spoons of "natural" yogurt before eating ice cream. Try 'Organic milk' you may be fine.

P.S. I realize you are a woman and I will glad to help you as well with any OBGYN issues you might have.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:51 pm

michelle2 wrote:
seven wrote:Ok cool. Thanks for sharing.

i said what i did about spices that are left in their whole form in indian food because westerners just don't know that they're not intended to be bitten into, and that if one unintentionally does, they don't bite back or kill. they are the cause of considerable puzzlement and pain to westerners.

Very good thinking there. I'll keep this in mind too when cooking for my non-Indian friends.

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Show him sailuskitchen or manjulaskitchen and ask him if anything there interests him.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by michelle2 Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
michelle2 wrote:

Lactose intolerance...ye?  So you eat a couple of spoons of "natural" yogurt before eating ice cream. 
really? i shall try that. thanks.

michelle2

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:29 pm

for starters stay away from super spicy andhra food. i am sure he has had the usual cream and tomato sauce rich northindian stuff and the usual tandoori this and panneer that which is dished out at indian restaurants. so stay from all that.  

put him on a diet of milder but very flavorful tamilian, keralite, and maharashtrian cuisine expecially the last one. try out some matki chi usal, varan, aamti and things like that. also try some kosumalli (http://www.jeyashriskitchen.com/2012/03/kosumalli-carrot-and-cucumber-salad.html).

i think vegetarian maharashtrian cuisine is my favorite indian food. a pity that it's unheard of in commercial establishments.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:40 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:for starters stay away from super spicy andhra food. i am sure he has had the usual cream and tomato sauce rich northindian stuff and the usual tandoori this and panneer that which is dished out at indian restaurants. so stay from all that.  

put him on a diet of milder but very flavorful tamilian, keralite, and maharashtrian cuisine expecially the last one. try out some matki chi usal, varan, aamti and things like that. also try some kosumalli (http://www.jeyashriskitchen.com/2012/03/kosumalli-carrot-and-cucumber-salad.html).

i think vegetarian maharashtrian cuisine is my favorite indian food. a pity that it's unheard of in commercial establishments.
andhra food (costal andhra) is not at all spicy.

what's so great about marathi food? i've never had it. and i don't think i will.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:52 pm

i'm so thrilled you're dating! i hope he's good-looking and fit and has a good credit score. i learned this recently: even though we live in the modern world and you might feel like you gotta go 50-50 cuz it's the decent thing to do, the guy apparently has to pay for the entire meal. at a subliminal level it gives him the sense of investment, otherwise he's going to think you're too dominant and carefree. point is don't let him leach you off your time money and youth.

oh about the food, i think the best way to introduce him to indina food is by making an indian omlette: take finely chopped red onion and those tiny green chilis and tomatoes and mix in some curry powder and salt and egg whites. i have it with steamed broccoli on the side. i've never actually cooked though. it's best to buy complete onions and chop them yourself for freshness. and when you chop you should do so next to a flame to take care of the sulfur fumes from the onions so they don't make you cry.

Last edited by pravalika nanda on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:56 pm

what dishes are you making now? not indian?

pulav, dal perhaps? if he enjoys thai cuisine, try some coconut based gravy dishes.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by pravalika nanda Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:59 pm

tomato pappu with neyya is good too.

pravalika nanda

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:05 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
what's so great about marathi food?

it is mild from the standpoint of fiery spiciness, but very flavorful, not dripping in oil and/or butter, it is comforting, and nutritious.

pravalika nanda wrote:
i've never had it. and i don't think i will.

why not?
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 pm

Max,

Have you eaten Kohlapuri food?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by seven Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:16 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:for starters stay away from super spicy andhra food. i am sure he has had the usual cream and tomato sauce rich northindian stuff and the usual tandoori this and panneer that which is dished out at indian restaurants. so stay from all that.  

Have you ever had authentic north indian food ? Or the only exposure you've had to paneer and tandoori is what they dish out at indian restaurants (in US i assume?)?

seven

Back to top Go down

Post by swapna Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:03 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:
i'm so thrilled you're dating! i hope he's good-looking and fit and has a good credit score. i learned this recently: even though we live in the modern world and you might feel like you gotta go 50-50 cuz it's the decent thing to do, the guy apparently has to pay for the entire meal. at a subliminal level it gives him the sense of investment, otherwise he's going to think you're too dominant and carefree. point is don't let him leach you off your time money and youth.

oh about the food, i think the best way to introduce him to indina food is by making an indian omlette: take finely chopped red onion and those tiny green chilis and tomatoes and mix in some curry powder and salt and egg whites. i have it with steamed broccoli on the side. i've never actually cooked though. it's best to buy complete onions and chop them yourself for freshness. and when you chop you should do so next to a flame to take care of the sulfur fumes from the onions so they don't make you cry.

Obnoxious, I hope you'll reject most of nanda's advice. A relationship with another person is not a war of the sexes. Don't eat at any restaurant that you can't afford if you were by yourself. Pay what gives you pleasure to pay. Don't put spices in an omelette.

swapna

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:10 pm

>>>Stock your fridge up with Fosters -"its Australian for beer, mate!" Smile Feed him anything with it..
Seriously, cut down the spices in half and work up from these to find his comfort level. Cut out the oily dishes. I don't blame him on the curd rice.

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:14 pm

Kris wrote:

>>>Stock your fridge up with Fosters -"its Australian for beer, mate!" Smile Feed him anything with it..
Seriously, cut down the spices in half and work up from these to find his comfort level. Cut out the oily dishes. I don't blame him on the curd rice.

oh, aussie guy? serve curd rice with a dollop of vegemite.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Kris Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:15 pm

bw wrote:
Kris wrote:

oh, aussie guy? serve curd rice with a dollop of vegemite.

>>>How's that for a double whammy? ewww...

Kris

Back to top Go down

Post by Obnoxious Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:12 am

Thanks for your replies! I've made quinoa upma, & dal a couple of times. Made cabbage & okra. I mostly cook East Godavari brahmin food, which is mild. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Obnoxious

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:02 am

Obnoxious wrote:Thanks for your replies! I've made quinoa upma, & dal a couple of times. Made cabbage & okra. I mostly cook East Godavari brahmin food, which is mild. I will keep you posted how it goes.
+1.
trust your instincts. pace yourself.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:15 am

truthbetold wrote:
Obnoxious wrote:Thanks for your replies! I've made quinoa upma, & dal a couple of times. Made cabbage & okra. I mostly cook East Godavari brahmin food, which is mild. I will keep you posted how it goes.
+1.
Make nuvvula podi and ask him to eat it with E V olive oil and rice. Or, make some pulusu with bellam so that he can mix the podi with it. One or two pesara pappu appadaalu won't hurt either.  Pulusu can be eaten like a soup without rice.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:25 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
+1.
Make nuvvula podi and ask him to eat it with E V olive oil and rice. Or, make some pulusu with bellam so that he can mix the podi with it. One or two pesara pappu appadaalu won't hurt either.  Pulusu can be eaten like a soup without rice.

navvula podi = sesame something podi? ya, I can Google as well.  bellam = vellam as in jaggery? no?

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:28 pm

curious, what is he cooking for you?  Very Happy

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:30 pm

pravalika nanda wrote:

Generally LOL inducing first para reply. But the underlined is some sound advice.

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by nevada Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
+1.

navvula podi = sesame something podi? ya, I can Google as well.  bellam = vellam as in jaggery? no?
Yes and yes.

nevada

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:56 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
+1.
But nuvvula podi (sesame powder) is ashubham kada? inko maata cheppandi.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:21 pm

Impedimenta wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
+1.

Yeah!  Obviously, bellam comes from vellam!

Whatever you do, don't ask a young boy for bellam!  LOL.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Vakavaka Pakapaka Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:23 pm

indophile wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
+1.
But nuvvula podi (sesame powder) is ashubham kada? inko maata cheppandi.
Tella nuvvula podi ki nishiddham untE, Toorpuvaallu upavaasam untaaru.

Vakavaka Pakapaka

Back to top Go down

Post by Impedimenta Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
Impedimenta wrote:
Vakavaka Pakapaka wrote:
truthbetold wrote:
+1.

Yeah!  Obviously, bellam comes from vellam!

Whatever you do, don't ask a young boy for bellam!  LOL.

err? Curiouser and curiouser!

Impedimenta

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:10 pm

Don't give him the idea about "good" Indian food, otherwise he might want it all the time in future and even criticize your cooking whenever he doesn't like the preparation. In this case, his ignorance is your bliss.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by bw Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:33 pm

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
Don't give him the idea about "good" Indian food, otherwise he might want it all the time in future and even criticize your cooking whenever he doesn't like the preparation. In this case, his ignorance is your bliss.

brilliant advice, seva!

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down