Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi

5 posters

Go down

How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi Empty How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:55 am

The believers say there is an "unstoppable wave" in favour of Mr Modi.
A large section of the mainstream media has helped fan this perception, covering his energetic campaign with considerable enthusiasm. Opinion polls have also contributed to the feeling by predicting a veritable sweep for Mr Modi and the BJP, and the decimation of the ruling Congress party

On the eastern coast too, the non-believers appear to be in a majority.
Politics in the bifurcated state of Andhra Pradesh and Orissa is generally centred around local issues and politicians. In West Bengal, the regional Trinamul Congress party led by the mercurial Mamata Banerjee is in a strong position.

Interestingly, the nine states on the coast account for 269 of the 543 parliamentary seats. That's just three seats short of a simple majority needed to win the election.
But as this region does not appear to be in the grip of a "wave" in favour of Mr Modi-led BJP and his 25-party alliance, analysts say to win the election, the BJP would need to win at least 200 of the remaining 274 seats.

So when votes are counted on 16 May, they don't rule out a hung parliament with no party or alliance getting a clear majority.

This is a prospect which will not cheer the believers, and befuddle the non-believers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-27107332

-> Raw, time is running out, you better hurry up & complete your yagams, dips in holy rivers across India Razz

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi Empty Re: How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:05 am

What Cd failed to highlight from the article:
(See what people who know him and live with him think of him)
On an assignment for the BBC Hindi Service, I recently travelled 7,000km (4,349 miles) though nine states and three centrally-administered territories hugging India's vast coastline.
I visited the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and and West Bengal. The centrally administered territories I went to included Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Pondicherry.
In Gujarat, Mr Modi's fief, I found the near-total support for the leader remarkable.
Question Mr Modi's record as an administrator or the much vauntedGujarat growth model which has apparently vaulted it to one of India's most economically prosperous states and you are met with disbelief: "Don't you know it?" his supporters ask. "Haven't you seen it? Are you blind?"
Mr Modi does not need any posters, banners or billboards in Gujarat to prop up his image. His supporters say his work speaks for itself. Many here call him God.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi Empty Re: How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:18 am

truthbetold wrote:What Cd failed to highlight from the article:
(See what people who know him and live with him think of him)
On an assignment for the BBC Hindi Service, I recently travelled 7,000km (4,349 miles) though nine states and three centrally-administered territories hugging India's vast coastline.
I visited the states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, Orissa and and West Bengal. The centrally administered territories I went to included Daman and Diu, Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Pondicherry.
In Gujarat, Mr Modi's fief, I found the near-total support for the leader remarkable.
Question Mr Modi's record as an administrator or the much vauntedGujarat growth model which has apparently vaulted it to one of India's most economically prosperous states and you are met with disbelief: "Don't you know it?" his supporters ask. "Haven't you seen it? Are you blind?"
Mr Modi does not need any posters, banners or billboards in Gujarat to prop up his image. His supporters say his work speaks for itself. Many here call him God.
TBT, hope you realize that Gujarat is not India, the same author traveled other parts of India to come up with his assessment Smile

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:41 am

Cd

That author who did not see a modi wave in other parts of India had to admit what gujarat people are saying. Those people lived under modi and understood what he is. 

Look at all the numbers, abuse, falsehoods thrown at him by people who have no knowledge or minimal knowledge or ulterior motives. Compare that with what reporters are finding in gujarat.  

When I said , Gujaratis I encountered have mostly said positives things about modi , you tried to belittle them as ignorant people. 

Whether modi is responsible for 2002 riots are not, the refusal of you, idefix, max and others to accept the facts of gujarat's development is amusing and disappointing. All of you refuse to acknowledge the fact Modi has been an effective CM/leader in gujarat. That inability to objectively look at facts is what is in discussion. 

If you oppose him for his role in 2002 rots, I can respect that. But trying to misrepresent facts and try to run modi down based on falsehoods is certainly open for discussion.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:54 am

truthbetold wrote:Cd

That author who did not see a modi wave in other parts of India had to admit what gujarat people are saying. Those people lived under modi and understood what he is. 

Look at all the numbers, abuse, falsehoods thrown at him by people who have no knowledge or minimal knowledge or ulterior motives. Compare that with what reporters are finding in gujarat.  

When I said , Gujaratis I encountered have mostly said positives things about modi , you tried to belittle them as ignorant people. 

Whether modi is responsible for 2002 riots are not, the refusal of you, idefix, max and others to accept the facts of gujarat's development is amusing and disappointing. All of you refuse to acknowledge the fact Modi has been an effective CM/leader in gujarat. That inability to objectively look at facts is what is in discussion. 

If you oppose him for his role in 2002 rots, I can respect that. But trying to misrepresent facts and try to run modi down based on falsehoods is certainly open for discussion.

Even Dubya is adored in his conservative base but that doesn't mean much. Author was clearly suggesting that Modi wave might be limited to certain regions and probably is blown out of proportion. To me, as I've always said, BJP should match '77 Janata's election outcome (given current political situation &) to align with the hype that is going on in media/social media circles, anything less I consider as epic failure.

To your point about development in Gujarat, I think plenty of data was provided by Idefix & others that proved it is not worth jubilation; yes it is commendable but is not head & shoulders above other comparable states, our gripe about Modi is w.r.t his self-aggrandizing agenda. If he was being honest nobody here would have any heartburn over his claims.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:37 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
truthbetold wrote:Cd

Even Dubya is adored in his conservative base but that doesn't mean much. Author was clearly suggesting that Modi wave might be limited to certain regions and probably is blown out of proportion. To me, as I've always said, BJP should match '77 Janata's election outcome (given current political situation &) to align with the hype that is going on in media/social media circles, anything less I consider as epic failure.

To your point about development in Gujarat, I think plenty of data was provided by Idefix & others that proved it is not worth jubilation; yes it is commendable but is not head & shoulders above other comparable states, our gripe about Modi is w.r.t his self-aggrandizing agenda. If he was being honest nobody here would have any heartburn over his claims.

Check the links I provided. Minhaz merchant provided factual data that pointed gujarat's success as well as limitations. Even in Human development catagory, Gujarat stood at 3rd place. 

Whether modi is no.1 or not is not of importance. He is among the best cms for a long term. He is well liked after three terms in office. He is elected three times (last I checked gujarat is still india and it holds democratic elections). If congress wants Rahul to go against Modi, it is not his fault that Modi's record shines much brighter. If congress thinks chidambaram and others are better than modi, why did it not put them up for fight?  Indian people also do believe that Rahul is an imposed leader and is only there because of dynasty and congress party's lack of internal democracy. Modi is seen as a self developed leader (he made his way through an upper caste BJP party and traditional RSS).

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:50 pm

truthbetold wrote:
Check the links I provided. Minhaz merchant provided factual data that pointed gujarat's success as well as limitations. Even in Human development catagory, Gujarat stood at 3rd place. 

Whether modi is no.1 or not is not of importance. He is among the best cms for a long term. He is well liked after three terms in office. He is elected three times (last I checked gujarat is still india and it holds democratic elections). If congress wants Rahul to go against Modi, it is not his fault that Modi's record shines much brighter. If congress thinks chidambaram and others are better than modi, why did it not put them up for fight?  Indian people also do believe that Rahul is a imposed leader and is only there because of dynasty and congress party's lack of internal democracy. Modi is seen as self developed leader (he made way through an upper caste party of BJP and traditional RSS).

Congress could've done better had it had projected some other experience, educated and intelligent candidate than Rahul. MMS did very good with his partnership with PV. They brought on the liberalization which changed the economics of india. He did ok in his first term as PM too. Ppl voted for congress in 2009 coz of him as they wanted him to continue as their PM. But unfortunately, he became a total dummy to mataji. Mataji believed that the victory of 2009 was coz of her and her son and MMS had nothing to do with it.
Ppl are totally unhappy with the way things went in the past few years and the anti-incumbency factor soared.

Anti-incumbency+the thought of having the utterly incapable Rahul as PM has driven the crowds to support Modi. The congress is to be blamed squarely for the state of affairs now.

Back to top Go down

Post by truthbetold Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Kinnera,

Since congress realized it has a weak team, it decided to launch a full scale offensive on the one vulnerability of modi.  I understand congress strategy.  That is to be expected. 

But what I fail to understand is the inability of indian intellectuals to separate facts from propaganda. They do not show any initiative while the current govt fails in governing the nation to cause real direct harm to the people in the form of poverty, poor economy, huge corruption scams, lack of jobs, price rise, and lack of hope.  Then when Indian people express through opinion polls that the present govt is failing and they want it changed, all these intellectuals wake up and say modi is dangerous and advice people to elect modi's alternative UPA (the same entity that people were getting ready to reject). 

So I challenge their motives. They are looking out for their own interests or lack real interest in indian people's welfare.

truthbetold

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:09 pm

What is it people with last name upadhyay ? The author of that bbc article and the rabid dynasty supporter on SuCH share a lot.

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 pm

b_A wrote:What is it people with last name upadhyay ? The author of that bbc article and the rabid dynasty supporter on SuCH share a lot.

Why are you referring to my last name? Is that not dishonesty and a violation of privacy?

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Kinnera wrote:
Anti-incumbency+the thought of having the utterly incapable Rahul as PM has driven the crowds to support Modi. The congress is to be blamed squarely for the state of affairs now.
There is no disagreement with that, the point that the author was highlighting, is how genuine or strong and widespread, is this so called Modi wave, can it help BJP win 272 seats on its own.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by b_A Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:24 pm

Rashmun wrote:
b_A wrote:What is it people with last name upadhyay ? The author of that bbc article and the rabid dynasty supporter on SuCH share a lot.

Why are you referring to my last name? Is that not dishonesty and a violation of privacy?

What ? Where ? How ? Are you a dynasty supporter ? rabid one at that ?

b_A

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:26 pm

truthbetold wrote:Kinnera,

Since congress realized it has a weak team, it decided to launch a full scale offensive on the one vulnerability of modi.  I understand congress strategy.  That is to be expected. 

But what I fail to understand is the inability of indian intellectuals to separate facts from propaganda. They do not show any initiative while the current govt fails in governing the nation to cause real direct harm to the people in the form of poverty, poor economy, huge corruption scams, lack of jobs, price rise, and lack of hope.  Then when Indian people express through opinion polls that the present govt is failing and they want it changed, all these intellectuals wake up and say modi is dangerous and advice people to elect modi's alternative UPA (the same entity that people were getting ready to reject). 

So I challenge their motives. They are looking out for their own interests or lack real interest in indian people's welfare.
Ya, pathetic state of affairs. and these are the ones who are dividing the people by projecting hindus as some intolerant monsters and muslims as poor harassed victims. Sickening!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:29 pm

b_A wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

LOL! in his desperation to pronounce that he's a brahmin and not a muslim, he's going to accept that he's all of the above

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:55 pm

Kinnera wrote:
b_A wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

LOL! in his desperation to pronounce that he's a brahmin and not a muslim, he's going to accept that he's all of the above

https://such.forumotion.com/t22664-kapil-sibal-targets-narendra-modi-for-telling-lies-and-making-outlandish-claims#152940

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

"How India is split over BJP's Narendra Modi"

>>> That's easy to answer.
India certainly is split over BJP's Modi because he is the only declared prime ministerial candidate by a political party in these parliamentary elections.
In other words, there are only two choices for the prime minister in these elections, Modi and the rest (the undeclared candidates for the prime minister's job from other parties).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:00 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
This is a prospect which will not cheer the believers, and befuddle the non-believers.

-> Raw, time is running out, you better hurry up & complete your yagams, dips in holy rivers across India Razz

That is called democracy. When congress wins by 2% vote margin and leads a minority led alliance, the country is considered UNITED. When BJP does the same thing, the country is divided.

Thanks for showing us who is an unbiased, fair minded, secular "superior" Indian ?

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:02 pm

b_A wrote:
Rashmun wrote:

No he is just a white skin worshipping Naarthie Brahmin - or so he says, but in reality a Paki-agent and a Jehadi. There are a lot of Talibans masquerauding as brahmins in UP - I read it 2 days ago.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:22 pm

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

That is called democracy. When congress wins by 2% vote margin and leads a minority led alliance, the country is considered UNITED. When BJP does the same thing, the country is divided.

Thanks for showing us who is an unbiased, fair minded, secular "superior" Indian ?
So you agree that there is no "unstoppable wave" in favor of Lord Narendra.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:30 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Whoever wins and becomes the PM would have had the "Wave"

High time Rahul G marries some italian girl and Priyanka worry about Vaadra.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:12 pm

confuzzled dude wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Whoever wins and becomes the PM would have had the "Wave"
Did they say the same about UPA I & II

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down