Coffeehouse for desis
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.

+4
Marathadi-Saamiyaar
bw
MaxEntropy_Man
Rishi
8 posters

Go down

Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.   Empty Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.

Post by Rishi Thu May 08, 2014 9:12 pm

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/livleen-kaur-iit-entrance-cbse-examination-results-delhi-high-court/1/277859.html

Rishi

Back to top Go down

Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.   Empty Re: Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 08, 2014 9:19 pm

this was the greatest fear of the adults in my life growing up.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.   Empty Re: Girl cracks IIT but fails in CBSE exam.

Post by bw Thu May 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Rishi wrote:http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/livleen-kaur-iit-entrance-cbse-examination-results-delhi-high-court/1/277859.html

that is so odd. if she has her fundamentals right, how does it matter what the exam is! has to be an error in grading.

bw

Back to top Go down

Post by MaxEntropy_Man Thu May 08, 2014 9:29 pm

bw wrote:
Rishi wrote:http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/livleen-kaur-iit-entrance-cbse-examination-results-delhi-high-court/1/277859.html

that is so odd. if she has her fundamentals right, how does it matter what the exam is! has to be an error in grading.

i don't know about CBSE, but this is entirely possible in the TN state board. the physics textbook was full of mistakes on every bloody page. whenever i wrote midterm exams and such i would get marked down because my (correct) answers were different from the textbook's (incorrect) answers. when i protested, my teacher would say, "what's your goal here? to act like some smartass or to score high on your public exam?" he would insist that i regurgitate the BS answer in the book rather than fix it and write the correct thing. used to frustrate me no end.
MaxEntropy_Man
MaxEntropy_Man

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Thu May 08, 2014 10:51 pm

MaxEntropy_Man wrote:
bw wrote:

i don't know about CBSE, but this is entirely possible in the TN state board. the physics textbook was full of mistakes on every bloody page. whenever i wrote midterm exams and such i would get marked down because my (correct) answers were different from the textbook's (incorrect) answers. when i protested, my teacher would say, "what's your goal here? to act like some smartass or to score high on your public exam?" he would insist that i regurgitate the BS answer in the book rather than fix it and write the correct thing. used to frustrate me no end.

Matha pitha guru deivam. If only had you listened to your science teacher, you could be the RBI Governor or Sundar Pichai...Razz

I went to a third rate high school but with a first rate teachers - the kind who had to dumb it down and explain in simplest possible manner to the dumbest kids one could find (admitted failed XII students and all teachers were Brahmins and almost 99.9% of the students were not Brahmins.) School showed only 50 to 55% pass rate in class XII exams. No such stuff/behavior from my teachers and were very open minded.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri May 09, 2014 9:16 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:Matha pitha guru deivam.  If only had you listened to your science teacher, you could be the RBI Governor or Sundar Pichai...Razz

I went to a third rate high school but with a first rate teachers - the kind who had to dumb it down and explain in simplest possible manner to the dumbest kids one could find (admitted failed XII students and all teachers were Brahmins and almost 99.9% of the students were not Brahmins.) School showed only 50 to 55% pass rate in class XII exams. No such stuff/behavior from my teachers and were very open minded.

Wasn't that the case in most village schools about 50+ years ago? Reminds me the 'pantulu' schools in the old telugu movies.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by smArtha Fri May 09, 2014 9:21 am

bw wrote:that is so odd. if she has her fundamentals right, how does it matter what the exam is! has to be an error in grading.

You are assuming that the Boards are testing fundamentals. Even if we agree that the curriculum and the question papers are set that way, still the evaluation is based on being able to reproduce from the text book verbatim. The farther you are from the text book answer more the chances of being graded 0 for it.

smArtha

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri May 09, 2014 9:33 am

Are IIT entrance exam results out already?

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri May 09, 2014 9:43 am

No surprise there.
Perhaps she should have taken coaching classes for CBSE, like she probably took for the IIT entrance exam. and "cracked" it.
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by Marathadi-Saamiyaar Fri May 09, 2014 9:47 am

indophile wrote:Are IIT entrance exam results out already?

I read somewhere that Gults are still at the top - wonder about teh SA and T break down though...Razz.

Marathadi-Saamiyaar

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 09, 2014 10:02 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:No surprise there.
Perhaps she should have taken coaching classes for CBSE, like she probably took for the IIT entrance exam. and "cracked" it.
In Americal she would be known as Gifted.

What's your gripe with prepping Seva Ji, you think kids should be subjected to WISC IQ testing instead? like most whites do to get their kids into Gifted & Talented programs.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by Seva Lamberdar Fri May 09, 2014 10:24 am

confuzzled dude wrote:

What's your gripe with prepping Seva Ji, you think kids should be subjected to WISC IQ testing instead? like most whites do to get their kids into Gifted & Talented programs.

Nothing.
I am only commenting in response to her griping and taking people to court, on the basis that she "cracked" the IIT exam (which she probably might have done with special coaching) but not the CBSE (where the special coaching probably was not involved).
Seva Lamberdar
Seva Lamberdar

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bYp0igbxHcmg1G1J-qw0VUBSn7Fu

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri May 09, 2014 10:33 am

This problem may show up again and again since they watered down the IIT selection criteria with Board exam performance weighing in along with JEE performance. If the Board exams and their grading were somewhat comparable across the country then it could make some sense. But they are not.

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by confuzzled dude Fri May 09, 2014 10:40 am

Seva Lamberdar wrote:
confuzzled dude wrote:

Nothing.
I am only commenting in response to her griping and taking people to court, on the basis that she "cracked" the IIT exam (which she probably might have done with special coaching) but not the CBSE (where the special coaching probably was not involved).

She scored in single digits in her board exams, she probably knows she could do better than that; daal mein kuch kaala hain Seva ji.

confuzzled dude

Back to top Go down

Post by indophile Fri May 09, 2014 10:44 am

Marathadi-Saamiyaar wrote:
indophile wrote:Are IIT entrance exam results out already?

I read somewhere that Gults are still at the top - wonder about teh SA and T break down though...Razz.
Yeah, but it's not a done deal yet. That is, either the IIT selection or the State division. Don't they have one more round of exams before kids get selected.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/education/Andhra-Pradesh-leads-in-IIT-race-UP-keeps-second-position/articleshow/34699271.cms?

And the official State division is scheduled for June 2 (which is also celebrated as Independence Day in Italy).  Wink

indophile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down